Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/15/o...ns-cities.html

Officials in several countries are getting the message: Cities are about people, not cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Cars have people in them. It a form of discrimination to single those people out by trying to impede their movements.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
They can have Manhattan. Do whatever you want there. Ban all cars for all I care. But Manhattan-centric policies have no place in the other boroughs except maybe parts of Brooklyn.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-18-2018, 07:19 AM

782 posts, read 859,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They can have Manhattan. Do whatever you want there. Ban all cars for all I care. But Manhattan-centric policies have no place in the other boroughs except maybe parts of Brooklyn.
Amen.

So much of NYC is straight up residential...we need our cars.

What would actually benefit pedestrian safety in most parts of the outer boroughs, would be improving roadway infrastructure for cars. But instead, we're building pedestrian plazas in the middle of Sheepshead Bay Road and putting CitiBike racks up at the cost of 10 parking spots.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:30 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
What cars in New York will look like very soon.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=11...ezhKm_B1ZaXkM:

Old 12-18-2018, 10:40 AM

198 posts, read 119,360 times
Also, with 80% of New Yorkers living outside of Manhattan, New York is absolutely a car culture city (and I say that as someone who doesn't own or drive a car in NYC, and hates the damn honking things).

Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
I don't think ya'll are reading (understanding) this article.

Quote:
"Many American cities still rely on “level of service” (LOS) design models developed in the 1960s that focus single-mindedly on keeping vehicle traffic moving, ....Hence improvements for other modes (walking, cycling, transit) that might increase vehicle delay are characterized as LOS. impediments. .... The idea of pedestrians as “impediments” is of course perverse, especially given the word’s original meaning: An impediment was something that functioned as a shackle for the feet — unlimited vehicle traffic, say."
I see this happen frequently. A major crossing where I live, for example is very difficult to cross. The light is so short that you have to literally run across the street to get across it. All in the name of moving car traffic. I call it peversely, "the ******* crossing." (as in the video game where frogs try not to get squashed by cars.)

It goes on to talk about the fact that we use up 350 square feet of street space per car, for free in the name of free parking. (even in places where the majority of the residents don't have a car.) The sacrifice is then that there is less room for trees and parks, things that benefit everyone, provide shade, tranquility and fresh oxygen for the pleasure of a small minority.

It's really a tough concept to think about because no one has every questioned the status quo... the amount of resources allocated to a minority population. And then you factor in all the opposition to every other mode of transportation. Bikes, nah, they're a nuisance, HOV lanes, hey, no fair. The deck has always been stacked for motorist and changing ones mind set is hard. Cities should consider the needs of the many, not of the few.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,603,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
Also, with 80% of New Yorkers living outside of Manhattan, New York is absolutely a car culture city (and I say that as someone who doesn't own or drive a car in NYC, and hates the damn honking things).
80% is a stretch. North Brooklyn and the West Bronx are not autocentric either.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I don't think ya'll are reading (understanding) this article.

I see this happen frequently. A major crossing where I live, for example is very difficult to cross. The light is so short that you have to literally run across the street to get across it. All in the name of moving car traffic. I call it peversely, "the ******* crossing." (as in the video game where frogs try not to get squashed by cars.)

It goes on to talk about the fact that we use up 350 square feet of street space per car, for free in the name of free parking. (even in places where the majority of the residents don't have a car.) The sacrifice is then that there is less room for trees and parks, things that benefit everyone, provide shade, tranquility and fresh oxygen for the pleasure of a small minority.

It's really a tough concept to think about because no one has every questioned the status quo... the amount of resources allocated to a minority population. And then you factor in all the opposition to every other mode of transportation. Bikes, nah, they're a nuisance, HOV lanes, hey, no fair. The deck has always been stacked for motorist and changing ones mind set is hard. Cities should consider the needs of the many, not of the few.

Where I live, they've taken away more and more spots. And it ends up being empty street space. Whoop.

I've seen the horrible ways they've tried to redirect cars and traffic. What a joke. One area they must have messed with countless times. And the things they have done by me have added traffic, not kept it moving.

I have a lot of trees where I live. Places that do not have a lot of trees tend to not have them in general---let's start with getting some more where everyone else has them, which is in/on the sidewalks. This is very neighborhood dependent, as I have walked throughout Brooklyn and it is very apparent.

They will always keep cars around---they make the city TONS of money. Registrations, tolls, tickets, etc.

Let's not act like barely anyone owns a car or that it's a "small minority"---approximately 45% of households own a car in NYC. (Obviously you can break that down further by borough.)

The one thing I do wish the city did was control the amount of "professional drivers." But that's also what happens when you have so many people who don't own cars---there are WAY too many TLC, Uber, Lyft, etc. out there---sometimes that is all you see.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:27 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Will commercial vehicles still be allowed? A lot of people own businesses that are dependent on their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: