Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,936 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention that a lot of people in pricier Bronx towns like Wakefield and Throgs Neck work in the building trades or as electricians and car mechanics. It appears to me that they make a lot of money, not the 70K brokeass btch status of a low level cube farmer but a real NYC style salary like 300-400K.

I am trying to get more money to give to certain family members who are retired/broke. Over the past 8-10 years I have been reading books relating to auto tech and other forms of technology such as air conditioning systems. I'm not interested in changing my career but merely learning about these topics. I don't have a car yet but my rich friend does and I was able to identify all parts of the innards.

What type of majors do these careers require and can they be fulfilled via MOOC courses? Can a simple MOOC sequence featuring Electrical Engineering and a few upper division Physics electives yield a salary of 300,000 and a membership in the union that limits ones hours of work to 35 hours in a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Dont be ridiculous.
Only the sandhogs make that kind of money and they all live in Woodlawn.
And you have to be Irish ( legal or illegal it doesn’t matter) to get into the union.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-23-2019 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Dont be ridiculous.
Only the sandhogs make that kind of money and they all live in Woodlawn.
And you have to be Irish ( legal or illegal it doesn’t matter) to get into the union.
Yeah, I saw the sand hog documentary. Who is making that kind of money in other areas though? I see fancy cars. Any trades or are they the usual NYC money people like I-bankers?

Old 05-23-2019, 04:36 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Yeah, I saw the sand hog documentary. Who is making that kind of money in other areas though? I see fancy cars. Any trades or are they the usual NYC money people like I-bankers?
Electricians, plumbers, ironworkers, welders

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-23-2019, 04:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Lol. No.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
It has come to my attention that a lot of people in pricier Bronx towns like Wakefield and Throgs Neck work in the building trades or as electricians and car mechanics. It appears to me that they make a lot of money, not the 70K brokeass btch status of a low level cube farmer but a real NYC style salary like 300-400K.

I am trying to get more money to give to certain family members who are retired/broke. Over the past 8-10 years I have been reading books relating to auto tech and other forms of technology such as air conditioning systems. I'm not interested in changing my career but merely learning about these topics. I don't have a car yet but my rich friend does and I was able to identify all parts of the innards.

What type of majors do these careers require and can they be fulfilled via MOOC courses? Can a simple MOOC sequence featuring Electrical Engineering and a few upper division Physics electives yield a salary of 300,000 and a membership in the union that limits ones hours of work to 35 hours in a week?

First of all while some in the trades do earn, only select few bring in anywhere near at or >$100k per, and even then on a consistent yearly basis.

Plumber, electrician, carpenter, welder, and others make up construction trades. How much one earns, and for how long largely depends upon many factors. Right now during this prolonged building boom guys aren't out of work for long. That is once done with one project most can easily find something else. But that isn't always true and or will last forever. Plenty of times guys find themselves out of work for a few to several months of a year due to nothing happening.

In any event you can't get into the trades unless join a union. That is a long process which begins with an apprenticeship; good luck with that as everyone and their father shows up when those lists are open, and only a certain number are called.

Right now open shop is hurting many in the trades as developers are going with cheap non-union labor in whole or part for a project. That or playing non-union off union to strike better deals.

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...-a-crossroads/

Thus best way to secure any sort of economic future in trades is for something that developers just can't pick some eegit off the street, and or just crossed the border.

Yes, sandhogs do earn (see: https://www.villagevoice.com/2012/04...second-avenue/ ), but not everyone is cut out for that kind of work.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 PM

129 posts, read 79,221 times
Since when is Wakefield pricey?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
Since when is Wakefield pricey?

Hey, we're dealing with someone who thinks the height of evening entertainment is hanging out at back of a Duane Reade.... Ride the wave.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
The people who's pockets that money would come out of would never allow that. Notice how more and more construction in NYC is non-union? Wonder why that is?

Old 05-24-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The people who's pockets that money would come out of would never allow that. Notice how more and more construction in NYC is non-union? Wonder why that is?

In certain instances they have no choice. Where federal and or some state contracts are concerned prevailing wage laws set rates, and work is most always union.

Open shop is taking more and more share as high (and rising) land along with other costs are forcing developers to cut costs so they can bring things in at certain numbers.

Lower end such as small homes, renovation etc... has long been seeing a large if not majority share of illegals and other non-union. Jobs that someone in the trades got $24-$35 and hour (or more), they're paying people off the street barely just above minimum wage.

Believe it or not in many parts of USA and to some extent even in NYC there is a shortage of construction workers. During last down turn many guys either retired and or found other lines of work, and never came back. Younger guys looking at open shop taking over and or people trying to beat down the unions simply feel they can do better elsewhere.

Unions (surprise, surprise) are trying to get Albany to expand NYS's prevailing wage laws to encompass more public works. This would of course benefit their members. However again costs of using union labor add to the already high costs of building anything in this city or state. This would include "affordable housing", so Cuomo et al have to find a way to craft things that give unions what want, but not price out new affordable housing development. https://therealdeal.com/2019/03/13/l...-requirements/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City