Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Starbucks should just charge a cover charge at the door which includes one drink.

Stop profiling people and just start kicking EVERYONE out.
Makes me wonder what is your relationship with Starbucks. Hum....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Starbucks should just charge a cover charge at the door which includes one drink.

Stop profiling people and just start kicking EVERYONE out.

In some ways SB has started down that line....

Newer stores in NYC at least often tend to be smaller with less seating. Some older stores seem to be reducing seating as well. Walked past the 85th and Lex SB the other day and seems to me that there are less seats in that place than past. Haven't been down that way in ages so could be wrong.

The rest unfortunately comes down to this being NYC; a place of bleeding heart liberals and currently presided over by a mayor (and good amount of city council members) that have some very odd ideas about private property. That is just because you open a business that includes public seating, you don't always have the right to control.

Again: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/n...t-and-sit.html

McDonald

And how it ended: Elderly Korean Americans Settle Dispute With Queens McDonald

Old 05-08-2018, 08:15 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Makes me wonder what is your relationship with Starbucks. Hum....
I like Starbucks just fine. I'm about as desirable a coffee customer as they come.

Probably spend $2-3000 annually at Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks- and probably spend about 5 minutes in the store per visit on average, some days 1 minute, some 30- moreso towards the quick in an out.

In any other loyalty industry- Fine Restaurants, Hotels, Air Travel, higher revenue customers are elevated.

Starbucks seems to bend over backwards for the people who take up the most of their time and net them the least of their money. I will frequent places (including Starbucks some stores) which cater less to loiterers, panhandlers, and homeless.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Stay home and use your Wi-Fi or ethernet. Make a pot of coffee. Take your pants off.
This guy does "work from home" right

Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Anyone who sits in public places without a true purpose for an extended length of time, has a weak sense of self-preservation.
LMAOOOOOOO

#shotsfired

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Probably spend $2-3000 annually at Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks
You're not a shareholder with either company yet?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In some ways SB has started down that line....

Newer stores in NYC at least often tend to be smaller with less seating. Some older stores seem to be reducing seating as well. Walked past the 85th and Lex SB the other day and seems to me that there are less seats in that place than past. Haven't been down that way in ages so could be wrong.

The rest unfortunately comes down to this being NYC; a place of bleeding heart liberals and currently presided over by a mayor (and good amount of city council members) that have some very odd ideas about private property. That is just because you open a business that includes public seating, you don't always have the right to control.

Again: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/n...t-and-sit.html

McDonald

And how it ended: Elderly Korean Americans Settle Dispute With Queens McDonald
I’ve noticed this as well. The new Starbucks stores are typically half the size of the old ones, play music louder, have a few if any bar stool style seats and that’s it.

The one near my office in TriBeCa recently renovated and now has half the seating area and they got rid of their bathroom.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:07 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I’ve noticed this as well. The new Starbucks stores are typically half the size of the old ones, play music louder, have a few if any bar stool style seats and that’s it.

The one near my office in TriBeCa recently renovated and now has half the seating area and they got rid of their bathroom.

Starbucks has no one to blame but themselves if their stores became full of freeloading homeless, mommie brigades, work from "home" types, de facto senior centers, after school centers, etc....

When they first opened and expanded around USA SB promoted the "coffee house" culture of Seattle, Europe and so forth. Much like "Friends" or "Frasier" people were encouraged to arrive and remain while sipping their over priced (and not very good often) lattes. Things went from bad to worse when SB installed free WiFi.

Never underestimate the power and scope of moochers. Sadly anytime something is "free" there simply are those that will take advantage.

You've got people who arrive at a SB with their laptops or tablets shortly after opening, and remain basically all day or at least a good part of it often only buying one beverage. They clog up table space and generally act as if they own the place.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're not a shareholder with either company yet?
No, neither are well performing stocks.

With some money it'd be better to invest in a Dunkin' Donuts franchise or particular store- rather than the parent issuer.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Some people set up their entire office at Starbucks: Hipster Douche Invades Starbucks with Two Computer Monitors -- The Size of a Windshield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: