Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:20 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Never was a fan of Sheepshead Bay. Only reason for me to go to Sheepshead Bay is Roll'n Roaster, and thats it.

When and if Roll'n Roaster closes, I will no longer have any reason to go to Sheepshead Bay.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:21 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Russian Jews, Israeli Jews, Eastern Europeans... It has a very Eastern European feel in parts for sure. The old school Irish and Italians aren't as plentiful.
Oh dear. You must not like it then.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I got some good friends down there! We watch anime, toke up, walk down the boardwalk, and eat all of their parents food. Good times
I thought you said that makes you feel sick?

Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Russian Jews, Israeli Jews, Eastern Europeans... It has a very Eastern European feel in parts for sure. The old school Irish and Italians aren't as plentiful.
I know it's known as being an Eastern European neighborhood, but I see Asians and Latinos in the neighborhood as well. Same thing with Brighton Beach.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Not my cup of tea. Wish those of you moving there good luck!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know it's known as being an Eastern European neighborhood, but I see Asians and Latinos in the neighborhood as well. Same thing with Brighton Beach.
Nothing new about that. The Chinese have been along and around Avenue U for years now. Just because you see people walking around the area doesn't mean they live there.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:18 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
It’s a neat neighborhood. It with Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach really form a large community of peoples from ex Soviet states. The last several years has seen an especially large number of Central Asians move in.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Nothing new about that. The Chinese have been along and around Avenue U for years now. Just because you see people walking around the area doesn't mean they live there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It’s a neat neighborhood. It with Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach really form a large community of peoples from ex Soviet states. The last several years has seen an especially large number of Central Asians move in.
I was gonna mention, a lot of the Asian looking people there might be from the Stan countries

Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Oh dear. You must not like it then.
You're funny. Every neighborhood I've lived in has had a Jewish presence, so you can put your little victim flag back in your pocket. You just have a problem with me telling it like it is, and that goes for all groups of people. Nobody gets a pass! I've met some Jews that have been very welcoming and others that have been ignorant racist jerks. People are people in all groups. Where I live now, I have some Jews that speak to me as I make my way to work while others think they're the cat's meow.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:39 AM

179 posts, read 109,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
Not to mention the racism over there.

Part of the transitions occurring in Sheepshead Bay is the decline/near disappearance of along established African American community that has existed there for over 120 years.

Driven primarily by employment in the area's racetracks a Black community grew up in Sheepshead Bay centered on East 15th Street just south of Gravesend Neck Road. In 1899, Maria J. Fisher petitioned the Concord Baptist Church downtown for a community church and the First Baptist Church was dedicated in 1901.

I used to have a routine of walking down the blocks on my way to pickup a sandwich and continue down to the fishing boats at Sheepshead Bay. In recent years the community has to my eyes shrunk quite a bit as the original houses have often been torn down for redevelopment. Some however still remain great examples of "folk architecture " more common in upstate New York.

I believe the actor Louis Gosset Jr. was part of this community as he was Brooklyn born and lived just a couple of blocks away as a 3 year old born to a mom and dad from GA and SC respectively.

Some fascinating history in this little corner of Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City