Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why not?
I find the story fascinating. How old school her apartment was and how she lived. I enjoyed the news article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
I find the story fascinating. How old school her apartment was and how she lived. I enjoyed the news article.

Check out this series on EV Grieve if you like that sort of thing:

EV Grieve: I Am a Rent-Stabilized Tenant

Old 05-11-2018, 05:57 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Notice that she had enough room for a King size bed. Most studios today do not.

Smart cookie using the YMCA for her hot showers.

Apparently she used the apartment only for sleeping and storing her "stuff." Probably ate all her meals out.
I have respect for someone who can beat a system rigged against him or her.

<Perhaps the City should buy Y memberships for the homeless?>

Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Notice that she had enough room for a King size bed. Most studios today do not.

Smart cookie using the YMCA for her hot showers.

Apparently she used the apartment only for sleeping and storing her "stuff." Probably ate all her meals out.
I have respect for someone who can beat a system rigged against him or her.

<Perhaps the City should buy Y memberships for the homeless?>

Don't know if the system was "rigged" or whatever against the deceased. If it was LL would have been allowed to bring that apartment up to at least 1960's standards regardless of what tenant wanted.

Cold water flats were around late as the 1950's, but largely had vanished either because apartments were renovated upon vacancy to bring up to date, and or the buildings (usually old tenements/walk-ups) were torn down.

In days when cold water flats did reign (and there were plenty in the EV, WV, LES, Yorkville, and GV), it was either boiling water on stoves and using a wash tub, or the "public baths". At 80 some add years old guess the YMCA was a better (and safer) alternative to boiling water on stove.

Just realized Ms. O'Grady was run over by that vehicle just outside her home; how sad. Would have been wonderful to sit down and speak with her; the memories and stories she must have had about GV/WV area from the 1950's through 1970's or so would have been priceless.

The woman lived to see Saint Vincent's hospital (one block west) close and turned into luxury housing, and much of the WV/GV going that way as well.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:

No disrespect to the dead; but that apartment was a dump. Leave us not get misty eyed or anything, it is what it is. Just look at pictures of the place.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/how-a-...nyc-apartment/

Old 05-11-2018, 07:25 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I am just thinking of the gajillion STEPS the poor woman had to climb over the decades.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:25 AM

954 posts, read 940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No disrespect to the dead; but that apartment was a dump. Leave us not get misty eyed or anything, it is what it is. Just look at pictures of the place.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/how-a-...nyc-apartment/
So because she lived in squaller we can’t feel sad about her death?

I agree the place is a wreck, but I too would of loved to hear her stories.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
i think she was a complete nut job.
She was 84, died a terrible way, i will give you that. but, anyone over 80 that passes, i dont care.
they had a full life and too many young people are dying or have cancer.
She lived in a complete pig stuy, like a complete pig.
The pictures shown were that of a dirty apartment.

but one question, if she didnt have heat or hot water, were there other apartments in the building that didnt have it either?
or did the pipes by-pass her apartment.
I got the impression there was another tenant in the building, then the part where there was a fire, it seemed like there were more tenants.
im a little confused on that. What type of building was it, Im thinking wlk up tenement....
but how can some apartments have heat and others didnt.
She lived by candlelight, so no electricity either.
id be afraid with all the crap she had in her filthy apartment that she would be considered a fire hazzard.

still say, the was a complete nut job.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:36 PM

954 posts, read 940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think she was a complete nut job.
She was 84, died a terrible way, i will give you that. but, anyone over 80 that passes, i dont care.
they had a full life and too many young people are dying or have cancer.
She lived in a complete pig stuy, like a complete pig.
The pictures shown were that of a dirty apartment.

but one question, if she didnt have heat or hot water, were there other apartments in the building that didnt have it either?
or did the pipes by-pass her apartment.
I got the impression there was another tenant in the building, then the part where there was a fire, it seemed like there were more tenants.
im a little confused on that. What type of building was it, Im thinking wlk up tenement....
but how can some apartments have heat and others didnt.
She lived by candlelight, so no electricity either.
id be afraid with all the crap she had in her filthy apartment that she would be considered a fire hazzard.

still say, the was a complete nut job.
Wow....

Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
So because she lived in squaller we can’t feel sad about her death?

I agree the place is a wreck, but I too would of loved to hear her stories.

Didn't say myself nor anyone else was to mourn Ms. O'Grady's passing; just that her apartment was a "dump", and wouldn't have it even for $28/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City