Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:22 AM

49 posts, read 40,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I found a studio on Burns street for $1425. It is a co-op. I am not familiar with the area but once I got off the m train - 67 st station, I didn't have to cross Queens Blvd, I made a turn by CVS and and walked through a narrow bridge over LIRR.the landlord initially advertised this as a rental in Forest hills but according to street easy this is Rego Park. I asked her about it and she ignored the question. Anyway, I hear that Rego Park has a nice area and not so great area. Is that true? If so, I hope that Burns street is in the nice one.Also , how safe is it to walk late at night from the 67 st subway station to Burns st. The area that scares me the most is the narrow pedestrian bridge over LIRR. Is this safe at night? And what do you think about the price? Right now I live in a women residence and I was hoping to apply for a low rent apt through the lottery, I was thinking if renting a studio in Rego Park will affect my chances to apply?There is a chance I can apply for a low rent women residence but I prefer not. But if living in a low rent residence would increase my chances in getting a low rent apt, I would do it.there is also a studio in west Harlem 131st. But I don't have much info. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I lived on Burns Street and Yellowstone some years back and frequented that bridge. While I'm sure the neighborhood has changed at least a little, I can tell you that the area is pretty busy all day & night...it's never really desolate over there from what I remember. I was out there at all hours of the night. It might be Rego Park but you can spit to FH from there...it's not a bad area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Rego Park and Forest Hills are both nice neighborhoods. I don't think there is any "bad" part in either of them. Yeah, stuff happens, as it does anywhere for some creep to follow a young woman home, but that can happen in any urban city, even the hoity-toity upper eastside of Manhattan. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. You certainly will not be the only young woman living alone in Rego Park or Forest Hills. You probably should not be walking home alone any place late at night except for a crowded part of Manhattan. Take an Uber from the station. You can also take the LIRR to Forest Hills and get a cab/Uber from there late at night.
There is a taxi stand near the 71st/Continental Avenue subway station. So it always possible to get a cab from there if it is very late at night.

As for location, obviously this place is on the Forest Hills/Rego Park border. So I wouldn't fault the person who advertised the apt. as misrepresenting the neighborhood. In any case as already written FH & RP don't have any really bad areas.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There is a taxi stand near the 71st/Continental Avenue subway station. So it always possible to get a cab from there if it is very late at night.

As for location, obviously this place is on the Forest Hills/Rego Park border. So I wouldn't fault the person who advertised the apt. as misrepresenting the neighborhood. In any case as already written FH & RP don't have any really bad areas.
I believe that bridge IS the RP/FH border, and if the place is on the Yellowstone side of it, that should be FH. My apartment was on that first block off the bridge & the address was FH, 11375.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:28 PM

582 posts, read 763,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack View Post
I believe that bridge IS the RP/FH border, and if the place is on the Yellowstone side of it, that should be FH. My apartment was on that first block off the bridge & the address was FH, 11375.
It is actually at the very end of burns street. It is a dead end street. I see it on the map close to the crescents.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
It is actually at the very end of burns street. It is a dead end street. I see it on the map close to the crescents.
Gotcha. 67th Ave is probably the border then. I was on the next block, and that is Forest Hills. If you walk to Yellowstone and make a left, the 112th Precinct is right there...it's a safe area for the most part...

Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. 67th Ave is probably the border then. I was on the next block, and that is Forest Hills. If you walk to Yellowstone and make a left, the 112th Precinct is right there...it's a safe area for the most part...
Are you saying the block I am talking about is in FH? Also, since you lived there, what do you think of $1425 for a small studio in that area? If that deals falls through, do you know of any brokers or management companies I can go to ? If I apply I would be going through a board review which I heard is a bit difficult to get through if you don't show enough dollars.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the block I am talking about is in FH? Also, since you lived there, what do you think of $1425 for a small studio in that area? If that deals falls through, do you know of any brokers or management companies I can go to ? If I apply I would be going through a board review which I heard is a bit difficult to get through if you don't show enough dollars.
I'm completely out of touch with rents but it seems like a good deal...the area is one of the better ones in Queens.

From the train, over the bridge and make a left, that is FH. To the right I guess is RP...the crescent is RP for sure.

Try calling Kaled Management in Westbury. They manage a lot of the buildings in that immediate area....Also: Nu-Place Realty...

Old 05-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'm completely out of touch with rents but it seems like a good deal...the area is one of the better ones in Queens.

From the train, over the bridge and make a left, that is FH. To the right I guess is RP...the crescent is RP for sure.

Try calling Kaled Management in Westbury. They manage a lot of the buildings in that immediate area....Also: Nu-Place Realty...
Thanks so much!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I don't know why you're so focused on whether the apartment is in Forest Hills or not. What does it matter? You're just renting.

To me, I wouldn't want to have to walk over railroad tracks to get home. It seems creepy. I don't care how good the neighborhood is. I would cross that apartment off my list pronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City