Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it’s a combination of that and how more tightly packed the blocks seem to be on average in Bushwick than in Bed-Stuy which usually have longer blocks and more of a setback from the streets from the front of the buildings (and where those hallmark stoops are laid).
That makes sense. So the 2 story rowhomes tend to be 2 family, and the 3 story ones tend to be 3 family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Also add in the mixed use aspect of Bushwick. Commercial and residential districts are more integrated. So you have more people from different blocks on other peoples blocks over the course of the day than you'd find in Bed-Stuy.
Bushwick definitely has the better layout of the two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
How much does one of those 6 family buildings go for on average in Bushwick?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Also add in the mixed use aspect of Bushwick. Commercial and residential districts are more integrated. So you have more people from different blocks on other peoples blocks over the course of the day than you'd find in Bed-Stuy.
Yea, that’s a good point and certainly the density of Bushwick especially the density of the parts that aren’t industrial really plays into that as a greater density generally means you can have more economically viable businesses.

I think that with the usually smaller block sizes really help Bushwick on those terms. One other factor I’ve been thinking about after a trip to Chicago earlier in the year is how streets that break up the grid and allows for shortcuts as well as make parts of the neighbornood have even smaller blocks and another main throughfare for commercial density might make a difference. I saw how Milwaukee in northwestern Chicago cuts through the grid system in Chicago and runs through some of Chicago’s most vibrant neighborhoods. Myrtle Avenue somewhat takes on that role in Bushwick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That makes sense. So the 2 story rowhomes tend to be 2 family, and the 3 story ones tend to be 3 family?

Bushwick definitely has the better layout of the two
Not sure about how the overall use patterns of Bed-Stuy brownstones are broken up, but I personally know three families that bought Bed-Stuy brownstones over the last several years and all three converted their buildings into basically single family homes with the ground/basement garden unit rented out.

I think Bushwick’s layout with smaller average blocks, less setback on the street level and a diagonal to the grid main thoroughfare is more conducive to more active streets relative to Bed-Stuy, but Bed-Stuy is still pretty bustling (it’s still Brooklyn and very densely populated after all). I favor Bed-Stuy personally for living in, but of course not everyone has the same preferences, so I can understand why someone would prefer one over the other.

I just generally like them both. If there was ever the funding for it, I’d be curious about what might make sense for an underground routing and extension of the Franklin Avenue shuttle into a full line extending from the Bed-Stuy terminus to Bushwick and beyond.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 AM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
Quote:
The big fallback of Bed-Stuy is how the high density sections happen to be massive housing project complexes. Bushwick really doesn't have any, and the ones they have tend to be far removed from the center of the neighborhood.
Bed stuy has Tompkins, Brevoort and Marcy for their biggest projects. There are smaller nycha buildings, but density wise it’s small, usually no more than a 4 story in size. Bed stuy is expansionally larger than Bushwick. They should just demolish those buildings as it’s a complete waste of land building so low and build more affordable housing.

The area by Marcy is pretty much already in the gentrified stages being close to Bushwick and Williamsburg.

Even by Gates Avenue, the Stuyvesant garden apartments. Gentrifiers just don’t care.

People are going to shocked when that census comes out. I was on Fulton st. By Franklin and walked all the way to Utica/Malcolm X Blvd. Never thought I would see anything but African braiding shops and nail salons on that corridor. There are two newly opened bars, Thai restaurant, tons of coffee shops, bicycle shop. Bed stuy took longer than Bushwick to catch on but it’s happening.

And if nobody has ever been to Nando’s in London check out Peri Peri Grill House on Malcolm X. Black owned restaurant, best grilled wings ever. And the Ramen shop is pretty good near by as well

Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How much does one of those 6 family buildings go for on average in Bushwick?
It all depends on the tenant situation. If empty you can make it a 3 family with awesome flats, or turn it into a condo conversion, etc... Lots of options one can do with them. My favorite are the Matthew Flats in Ridgewood. IMO, a much better investment than a Bed-Stuy brownstone. Heck, comparing it to that $3.3m in Bed-Stuy, you can likewise make it a one family and have space for an ice-skating ring and bowling alley on the ground floor.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yea, that’s a good point and certainly the density of Bushwick especially the density of the parts that aren’t industrial really plays into that as a greater density generally means you can have more economically viable businesses.

I think that with the usually smaller block sizes really help Bushwick on those terms. One other factor I’ve been thinking about after a trip to Chicago earlier in the year is how streets that break up the grid and allows for shortcuts as well as make parts of the neighbornood have even smaller blocks and another main throughfare for commercial density might make a difference. I saw how Milwaukee in northwestern Chicago cuts through the grid system in Chicago and runs through some of Chicago’s most vibrant neighborhoods. Myrtle Avenue somewhat takes on that role in Bushwick.

Not sure about how the overall use patterns of Bed-Stuy brownstones are broken up, but I personally know three families that bought Bed-Stuy brownstones over the last several years and all three converted their buildings into basically single family homes with the ground/basement garden unit rented out.

I think Bushwick’s layout with smaller average blocks, less setback on the street level and a diagonal to the grid main thoroughfare is more conducive to more active streets relative to Bed-Stuy, but Bed-Stuy is still pretty bustling (it’s still Brooklyn and very densely populated after all). I favor Bed-Stuy personally for living in, but of course not everyone has the same preferences, so I can understand why someone would prefer one over the other.

I just generally like them both. If there was ever the funding for it, I’d be curious about what might make sense for an underground routing and extension of the Franklin Avenue shuttle into a full line extending from the Bed-Stuy terminus to Bushwick and beyond.
I never been to Chicago, but I think I get your point about Myrtle ave. It creates an oddity to the usual street grid providing various cut through options for the pedestrian.

And regarding small block size, Ridgewood's are even smaller than Bushwick's.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Bed stuy has Tompkins, Brevoort and Marcy for their biggest projects. There are smaller nycha buildings, but density wise it’s small, usually no more than a 4 story in size. Bed stuy is expansionally larger than Bushwick. They should just demolish those buildings as it’s a complete waste of land building so low and build more affordable housing.

The area by Marcy is pretty much already in the gentrified stages being close to Bushwick and Williamsburg.

Even by Gates Avenue, the Stuyvesant garden apartments. Gentrifiers just don’t care.

People are going to shocked when that census comes out. I was on Fulton st. By Franklin and walked all the way to Utica/Malcolm X Blvd. Never thought I would see anything but African braiding shops and nail salons on that corridor. There are two newly opened bars, Thai restaurant, tons of coffee shops, bicycle shop. Bed stuy took longer than Bushwick to catch on but it’s happening.

And if nobody has ever been to Nando’s in London check out Peri Peri Grill House on Malcolm X. Black owned restaurant, best grilled wings ever. And the Ramen shop is pretty good near by as well
Regarding Bed-Stuy being expansionally larger than Bushwick, that is why I keep reiterating that you have to include Ridgewood with Bushwick for there to be a fair comparison.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
I never been to Chicago, but I think I get your point about Myrtle ave. It creates an oddity to the usual street grid providing various cut through options for the pedestrian.

And regarding small block size, Ridgewood's are even smaller than Bushwick's.
Yea, I like Ridgewood a lot. It was one of the places we were thinking of buying a home in.

Does it seem accurate to say that Ridgewood has a larger composition of two stories and a basement buildings than Bushwick does (and Bushwick has a larger composition of three stories and up)?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yea, I like Ridgewood a lot. It was one of the places we were thinking of buying a home in.

Does it seem accurate to say that Ridgewood has a larger composition of two stories and a basement buildings than Bushwick does (and Bushwick has a larger composition of three stories and up)?
It really all depends on the block, but in general, yes. Both neighborhoods have similiar architecture, just that Ridgewood has a higher concentration of the 2 and 3 family dwellings, and Bushwick the 4 and 6 family dwellings. But both have both. Ridgewood is basically a nicer Bushwick. Less vinyl in Ridgewood as it was mostly built after a fire code change that required brick. Ridgewood is known for their brick barrel front rowhouses. You'll find them in Bushwick also, just not as plentiful. Best thing about Ridgewood and Bushwick is how it straddles the Brooklyn Queens border, so you have easy access to the best of both worlds.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
It really all depends on the block, but in general, yes. Both neighborhoods have similiar architecture, just that Ridgewood has a higher concentration of the 2 and 3 family dwellings, and Bushwick the 4 and 6 family dwellings. But both have both. Ridgewood is basically a nicer Bushwick. Less vinyl in Ridgewood as it was mostly built after a fire code change that required brick. Ridgewood is known for their brick barrel front rowhouses. You'll find them in Bushwick also, just not as plentiful. Best thing about Ridgewood and Bushwick is how it straddles the Brooklyn Queens border, so you have easy access to the best of both worlds.
I visited Ridgewood once - it is really cute, architecture-wise.
What is the main street like there though? (cafes, restaurants, shops, etc.)

It did seem nicer than Bushwick to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City