Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I guess you have never visited any of NYC's elite housing projects, if you want people who don't work. And guess what BBMW, those people will NEVER leave. Oh and of course lets not forget our Hasidic friends, especially the ones upstate in the Hudson Valley, one of their precious villages has 93% of its residents on Medicaid.

As a retiree , I am glad you want me to leave, I did, and so did my spending power in NY. You see , any of my 401k or my pension which I have will not be spent in NY, so your tax dollars are paying my pension and you are getting nothing back because I spend it in my new state. Thank you for holding the bag for me , I gotta hit the beach today
I think you should push this as much as possible to increase the possibility of motivating people to eliminate some of NY’s pension obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:07 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you should push this as much as possible to increase the possibility of motivating people to eliminate some of NY’s pension obligations.

Never happen, youd have to take out your own trash, put out your own fires and solve your own crimes. and by showing your ignorance, that has already happened. New pension tiers were created in 2009 under Paterson...If you are that jealous of these pensions then maybe you should have taken some of these exams and applied for these jobs, which you probably couldn't do anyway. And for your information we pay into our pensions and we pay taxes, in addition I was forced to pay NYC income tax without being a NYC resident, so why don't you know what you're talking about before you start talking crap

Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Never happen, youd have to take out your own trash, put out your own fires and solve your own crimes. and by showing your ignorance, that has already happened. New pension tiers were created in 2009 under Paterson...If you are that jealous of these pensions then maybe you should have taken some of these exams and applied for these jobs, which you probably couldn't do anyway. And for your information we pay into our pensions and we pay taxes, in addition I was forced to pay NYC income tax without being a NYC resident, so why don't you know what you're talking about before you start talking crap
Not jealous at all, just like the idea of bitterness inciting more bitterness.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:30 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Separate issue. I'd love to see the projects sold off and turned into market rate housing. And you're right, until that happens the residents there are not going anywhere.

Quote:
I guess you have never visited any of NYC's elite housing projects, if you want people who don't work. And guess what BBMW, those people will NEVER leave. Oh and of course lets not forget our Hasidic friends, especially the ones upstate in the Hudson Valley, one of their precious villages has 93% of its residents on Medicaid.
Everything is relative. I'm guessing that your spending power, based on a social security and a 401K (any pension also?), would be less than the working professional who would likely take over wherever you're living now.
Quote:

As a retiree , I am glad you want me to leave, I did, and so did my spending power in NY. You see , any of my 401k or my pension which I have will not be spent in NY, so your tax dollars are paying my pension and you are getting nothing back because I spend it in my new state. Thank you for holding the bag for me , I gotta hit the beach today

Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 PM

106,687 posts, read 108,856,202 times
new york has some very nice retiree perks . ny does not tax social security , it does not tax nyc ,federal or ny state pensions , it exempts the first 20k in private pensions from tax . the first 20k in ira money is not taxed .

we are one of 2 states in the entire country that offer partnership plans for long term care with full asset protection . nys gives you up to 2k back as a tax credit for taking a long term care policy . we have basically no inheritance taxes or estate taxes for 99% of new yorkers .

we have scrie for seniors who are in stabilized housing . ny has a lot of perks other states don't

Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
It’s always funny to me how some brag about pensions. If you didn’t get out In the first tier wave while you could, most pensions aren’t really anything worth bragging about. It’s nice to have but you have to take your money elsewhere because it’s still not enough to live in nyc.

You worked for it doing menial service jobs most wouldn’t do, enjoy it Florida.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:24 PM

19,052 posts, read 13,968,817 times
My pension if I left tomorrow (under 20 years) would be nearly $80,000 and I’m still a hair under 40 years old. I know a lot of city jobs make less, but I can assure you that thousands of city workers can easily afford to stay here in retirement if they want to. Tax free to boot. Especially if they bought their homes young like I did.

I have 2 close friends with inherited businesses and one who pulls in around $350k at Goldman. They all wish they had my pension.

I plan to leave the city, but odds are I’ll be staying in NY state due to the tax benefits.

I’m at a pension seminar as I type this.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
We didn't leave NYC because of taxes or costs. We left to get into a quiet suburb with a ranch style single story house with a larger lot than we could afford in Staten Island. We were tired of climbing stairs, the noise and the traffic. We wanted to be closer to our grandkids. Economics was a bonus, lower utility costs, lower car insurance costs, lower state and no city income taxes. Our property taxes were higher but offset several times over by the other savings. NYC didn't force us to leave, we left voluntarily because leaving was the only way to get the things we wanted in retirement. There's nothing NYC could have done to make us stay.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response to Chint:

I took a look at the link SeeThroughNY :: Pensions

Holy Cow..... The Board of Ed and the FDNY really know how to sock it to the taxpayer.
Everyone deserves a fair pension and I have the highest respect for Educators and Firemen
but these numbers are not in proportion with many other jobs different yet equal in Nature.
EMS, Elevator Mechanics,and many other non city blue collar jobs that respond to
people emergencies on a daily basis are paid $50,000 or less in pension income compared to
$250,000....... Shocking...........

Well one thing is for sure. They will have no problem calling N.Y. their retirement home.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:47 PM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My pension if I left tomorrow (under 20 years) would be nearly $80,000 and I’m still a hair under 40 years old. I know a lot of city jobs make less, but I can assure you that thousands of city workers can easily afford to stay here in retirement if they want to. Tax free to boot. Especially if they bought their homes young like I did.

I have 2 close friends with inherited businesses and one who pulls in around $350k at Goldman. They all wish they had my pension.

I plan to leave the city, but odds are I’ll be staying in NY state due to the tax benefits.

I’m at a pension seminar as I type this.
More retirees are renters than homeowners in this city.

70% of this city rents. You were lucky to buy young.

Now people working city jobs with decent pensions, can’t even afford nyc real estate on their income. Now I think the average pension is 50-60k. That almost qualifies for affordable housing.

Pensions are deteriorating and not keeping up with nyc cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City