Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

How diverse is NYC's black population?

I'm assuming the city has a majority Black or African-American population. But what about other Blacks in the city? Where do you tend to find Caribbean people? I've been under the impression that the Flatbush area in Brooklyn was mainly Caribbean people. Do many Black-Americans live in Flatbush or is it mainly Caribbean people?

Also where can African immigrant groups be found in the city?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
You got:

Dark Chocolate
Milk Chocolate
Regular Chocolate
White Chocolate
Albino Chocolate

Old 06-13-2018, 01:48 PM

^

Alright. lol

Old 06-13-2018, 02:25 PM

461 posts, read 555,941 times
Most black people in NYC are from the Caribbean/West Indies. I know very few African-Americans aka black folks whose ancestry can be traced in the United States going back to the slave ships. Those that I do know live in Harlem and parts of the South Bronx. Most other black person I know is Jamaican, Haitian, and occasionally West African.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post

Most black people in NYC are from the Caribbean/West Indies. I know very few African-Americans aka black folks whose ancestry can be traced in the United States going back to the slave ships. Those that I do know live in Harlem and parts of the South Bronx.
That's interesting. I didn't realize the Caribbean population was larger than the AA population. What about Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn where Spike Lee grew up? Is that area more Caribbean to?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:37 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,531 times
You can pay for it if you like.
BlackDemographics.com | New York City

Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
That's interesting. I didn't realize the Caribbean population was larger than the AA population. What about Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn where Spike Lee grew up? Is that area more Caribbean to?
Though I don't think that poster is that far off from the truth I'd like to see some numbers backup that claim instead of anecdotal evidence. Bed-Stuy is mixed with AA and Caribbeans. Places like Crown Heights, Brownsville, and Flatbush are probably predominantly carribbean.

Growing up and attending public school here in the city I don't know if left out is the correct phrase, but I did feel different since I don't come from a carribbean background like alot of my peers.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM

453 posts, read 317,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Though I don't think that poster is that far off from the truth I'd like to see some numbers backup that claim instead of anecdotal evidence. Bed-Stuy is mixed with AA and Caribbeans. Places like Crown Heights, Brownsville, and Flatbush are probably predominantly carribbean.

Growing up and attending public school here in the city I don't know if left out is the correct phrase, but I did feel different since I don't come from a carribbean background like alot of my peers.
That got me thinking, and its true, multi-generational African Americans are in the minority and they are even rare in some parts of BK. They are all from the Caribbean or first generation.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How diverse is NYC's black population?

I'm assuming the city has a majority Black or African-American population. But what about other Blacks in the city? Where do you tend to find Caribbean people? I've been under the impression that the Flatbush area in Brooklyn was mainly Caribbean people. Do many Black-Americans live in Flatbush or is it mainly Caribbean people?

Also where can African immigrant groups be found in the city?
If you combine black Caribbeans, black Africans and black Latinos. These three groups out number black Americans. Historically. NYC used to have about 2 million black Americans. Things have changed recently such as gentrification, and the new black flight where millions of black Americans returned to the black belt. Like I said before. I came across a black woman in the supermarket. The money she was paying for rent in nycha, she can pay for mortgage, utilities and insurance in the south. So she moved and uprooted her single parent headed household for better pastures. Also the south is much more affordable than nyc.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:26 PM

461 posts, read 555,941 times
I think the majority of NYC’s black population has been Caribbean/West Indian for at least two decades. Often when you hear about black people leaving New York and “moving south” it’s generally multi-generational black people, many who already have roots or relatives down there. Combine that with the heavy immigration from the Caribbean that continued into the early 2000s and it makes sense that they overtook AA as the predominant black demographic at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City