Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

This happened a few days ago, but I don't think anybody has posted about it yet.

This is so heartbreaking, it ruined my day when I found out.

https://bklyner.com/bushwick-hit-and...njures-mother/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 PM

Memorial march held at scene where 4-year-old girl was killed by car in Bushwick, Brooklyn | abc7ny.com

This shows the video of what happened (not graphic but very hard to watch), it looks like the parking lot was indeed an accident waiting to happen. Really, it seems like Bushwick is too tight of a neighborhood for these front parking lots to be safe anywhere, especially for big cars like SUVs.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Memorial march held at scene where 4-year-old girl was killed by car in Bushwick, Brooklyn | abc7ny.com

This shows the video of what happened (not graphic but very hard to watch), it looks like the parking lot was indeed an accident waiting to happen. Really, it seems like Bushwick is too tight of a neighborhood for these front parking lots to be safe anywhere, especially for big cars like SUVs.
My biggest issue with Bushwick and Bed Stuy are those massive buses running on narrow two way streets. The buses literally take up 3/4th of the road.

About this story the driver is saddened and wants to speak to the family!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
My biggest issue with Bushwick and Bed Stuy are those massive buses running on narrow two way streets. The buses literally take up 3/4th of the road.

About this story the driver is saddened and wants to speak to the family!
Those buses go like 2 miles an hour, though. I have to imagine the biggest dangers are personal cars.

In this case, it looks like mostly the business owner's fault for having such a dangerous parking lot. I watched the video and totally understand why that parking lot is so dangerous and how something like this happened.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 AM

179 posts, read 109,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

The parking lot/business is best seen on google maps as 958 Hart St. Hard to imagine how this design could be approved.

Like a tiny piece of strip mall plunked down in Bushwick. Tragic.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post
The parking lot/business is best seen on google maps as 958 Hart St. Hard to imagine how this design could be approved.

Like a tiny piece of strip mall plunked down in Bushwick. Tragic.
I just saw the lot on Street view and I can only imagine how this got approved. You literally have to drive on the sidewalk to get in and out. Someone needs to pay for this.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Unfortunately, there are plenty of those types of parking lots all over the city, though.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I agree, it's a dangerous set up, however, if you look around, you will see the same kind of thing in a lot of locations. Here's the same thing a few blocks away https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...!4d-73.9036946

And I can also think of businesses like car washes that have huge curb cuts where multiple cars are going in and out across the sidewalk.

I think the biggest issue with the way the laundromats (and other strip malls) are set up is that you pull your car in straight and then have to back up across the sidewalk. At least the car washes mostly seem to be set up so that when you exit you are facing forward across the sidewalk, so you can see what's in front of you.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
To be honest I think New York City is a like a Final Destination type of place. There's so many different ways to get killed here and it's very easy. You gotta be more alert here than any other place I've ever lived in or visited.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:06 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
To be honest I think New York City is a like a Final Destination type of place. There's so many different ways to get killed here and it's very easy. You gotta be more alert here than any other place I've ever lived in or visited.
You are right. Personally, I cross the street whenever I see a construction site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: