Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Long story short, print media is dying a slow and painful death.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/n...s-readers.html

It isn't just newspapers, but magazines and anything else as well. As boomers and the generations before them age and die off, younger generations just aren't into print media in numbers to often make efforts profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
not understanding why there's a thread about this - somebody thinks the DN is relevant? I had no idea they were still in business

For good or ill, the Daily News is a part of New York City that has been around for 100 years. Apparently you, like I, find it a dreadful newspaper but that is not to deny it is a part and parcel of New York City and worthy of a thread on this forum, certainly more so than the thousand DeB Sucks, NYCA should be demolished, Rent Control is Making Paupers out of Landlords, Subways suck, I Need Affordable Housing threads so much in evidence.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYTimes actually does have have conservative writers sometimes, and no they have not turned into a tabloid. They did investigative covering of Harvey Weinsten, and that breakthrough article caused Hollywood and certain other related industries to implode and the fallout from that continues.

That is good journalism, digging up a major problem and exposing a major CRIMINAL (Weinstein is a rapist). Weinstein has not been arrested and criminal proceedings against him continue.

Not everything is about politics or the political orientation of a newspaper. The Times did amazing work there.
right or left, its dying slowly. NYT has a few decent reads but there is an equal amount of biased rubbish.

MSM is about making money. Its barely about news. They generally report what they want to report with added sensationalism.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:46 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,780,990 times
I think there's a market for newspapers. They Post and WSJ aren't do terrible I believe? The NYDN really has gone off the deep end with their hatred for Trump. Guess their strategy is to appease the liberals in NY but most of them probably read the NYT. Looks like Newsday will go down also, since they also turned hard left and their LI audience is much more mixed.

Maybe NYDN will make 180? If not, it will die a fast and justifiable death.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I think there's a market for newspapers.
perhaps. I rarely see people read physical newspapers anymore. Commuters and people out there are glued to their electronic devices

Old 07-24-2018, 01:04 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
People don't stop to think that most of the decent content on the Internet originates at newspapers and magazines.

When those are gone, you're going to be left with bloggers, who mostly are not journalists, and digital-only websites, which are also having layoffs.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:07 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Who supports those free amny papers?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
perhaps. I rarely see people read physical newspapers anymore. Commuters and people out there are glued to their electronic devices
Right. Glued to electronic devices reading the Village Voice, NYT, Daily News, WSJ, Newsday, Post, etc etc. Just because it's not in printed form, doesn't mean people aren't reading newspapers.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Right. Glued to electronic devices reading the Village Voice, NYT, Daily News, WSJ, Newsday, Post, etc etc. Just because it's not in printed form, doesn't mean people aren't reading newspapers.

The list of MSM you listed are all on a decline even online.

most don't read newspapers from what I observed..... even on electronic devices. The fact is the public has become more fragmented. People listen to various podcast and non MSM to get their news. Many younger generation doesn't even have TV or watch primetime TV.

The old way of paying high 6 figure and 7 figure salary to big name "journalist" is dying. Its a very expensive way to push content out. Remember the days when Katie Couric raked in mega bucks? I think the big boss is trying to justify people like Megyn Kelly's monster salary.

Even ESPN is taking a nose dive and lay off a lot of people. Salary is increasing for digital people who tweets all day & have big social media followings

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/alex-re...1-million-year

Old 07-24-2018, 01:54 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I think there's a market for newspapers. They Post and WSJ aren't do terrible I believe? The NYDN really has gone off the deep end with their hatred for Trump. Guess their strategy is to appease the liberals in NY but most of them probably read the NYT. Looks like Newsday will go down also, since they also turned hard left and their LI audience is much more mixed.

Maybe NYDN will make 180? If not, it will die a fast and justifiable death.
Today's paper did not have the insane Trump bashing/mocking headlines and stories that were commonplace under the now fired editor Jim Rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: