Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM

11,663 posts, read 12,765,329 times

Advertisements

In case anyone is interested, this week's episode on PBS's No Passport Required focuses on the Guyanese food and culture in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 11:14 PM

1,038 posts, read 680,974 times
The last time I drove through Jamaica Queens, I saw many Guyanese restaurants but half of them also cooked Chinese food. I wonder why this is.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,531,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
The last time I drove through Jamaica Queens, I saw many Guyanese restaurants but half of them also cooked Chinese food. I wonder why this is.
My local Trinidadian spot also does this. It seems like they usually focus more so on the non-Chinese part of the menu, though.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,531,950 times
I order rotis from a Guyanese place in Laurelton, good stuff.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,107,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
100 years ago or so. Chinese immigrated to Guyana to work the fields along with the indentured Indian immigrants. Chinese cuisine have become insanely popular in Guyana, and at times Chinese dishes fused with Asian Indian dishes. Chinese style Guyanese food is popular in Guyana, and is popular with Guyanese in America. Chicken in the ruff is good, Chinese lo mein, or Chicken fried rice mixed with vegetables, shrimp and pork.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:02 PM

782 posts, read 530,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
In case anyone is interested, this week's episode on PBS's No Passport Required focuses on the Guyanese food and culture in Queens.
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn’t aware of this show previously and caught the episode. I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
100 years ago or so. Chinese immigrated to Guyana to work the fields along with the indentured Indian immigrants. Chinese cuisine have become insanely popular in Guyana, and at times Chinese dishes fused with Asian Indian dishes. Chinese style Guyanese food is popular in Guyana, and is popular with Guyanese in America. Chicken in the ruff is good, Chinese lo mein, or Chicken fried rice mixed with vegetables, shrimp and pork.
My first experience with Guyanese food was at a Guyanese-Chinese restaurant in Richmond Hill. I remember being so surprised. I knew very little about the culture and was hanging out with a Guyanese coworker and her friends. I think I was expecting Indian food but ended up eating fried rice and barbecued chicken with Chinese flavors. Though I also remember the food had a bit of a kick, probably from some peppers (Scotch bonnet, habanero?) which made it somewhat different.

Never knew there were these Chinese hybrid cuisines until then. Not long after, an Indian coworker took a few of us out to an Indian-Chinese restaurant. Interesting flavors.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post

Never knew there were these Chinese hybrid cuisines until then. Not long after, an Indian coworker took a few of us out to an Indian-Chinese restaurant. Interesting flavors.
Have you ever had Chinese cuisine with a Korean twist? Those dishes are very different from the traditional Chinese American cuisine most are familiar with.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:33 PM

782 posts, read 530,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Have you ever had Chinese cuisine with a Korean twist? Those dishes are very different from the traditional Chinese American cuisine most are familiar with.
Yes, I think so. Just a couple of dishes though. Jajamyun and jjampong (sp?). I was introduced to these dishes by yet another coworker (different workplace). We ordered delivery from a place in K-Town a few times and my coworker always spoke in Korean when placing the order. I then had these dishes from a place in Bayside a couple of times.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Yes, I think so. Just a couple of dishes though. Jajamyun and jjampong (sp?). I was introduced to these dishes by yet another coworker (different workplace). We ordered delivery from a place in K-Town a few times and my coworker always spoke in Korean when placing the order. I then had these dishes from a place in Bayside a couple of times.
Yep. That's it. Jajamyun at least. Not sure about jampong. I think that's a traditional Korean dish.
A few places in Flushing specialize in Chinese/Korean fusion. Most of them are on Northern Blvd.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,107,819 times
Sybils is OK. My mom I miss her so much used to make a slamming pepperpot. Even me for example. I have passed down recipes that comes from family who immigrated to Guyana via Barbados, Brazil and even India. I have Guyanese casareep in my fridge, but have yet to make pepperpot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City