Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I happen to have a brother in law and two nephews with the Surname Denis. His family thru his paternal line who are sephardic, they were practicing Jews in their family but now they are all Pentecostal. I have known Mexican Jews, practicing reformed Jews, and many others Puerto Ricans tbat are Sephardic. Yet, for me, unless I believed in Judaism as a faith I would never pursue that. Puerto Ricans can pursue Spanish citizenship by proving evidence of some form of descent of Spanish immigrants a few generations ago, I believe. Yet, I am not interested. Spain is not my country.
No one has to do anything they don’t like. You cannot purse Spanish citizenship by simply having Spanish ancestors a few generations back. You need a Spanish parent or grandparents. Anything further Yvan that and the person would need to purse the Sephardic citizenship or work in Spain for two years and then apply.

The law has nothing, I repeat, nothing do with Judaism has a faith. Anyone with any Sephardic ancestry may apply for either the Spanish or Portuguese programs.

And it’s a personal choice, it’s up for the individual to decide on whether he or she wants to do it. I did it and I have no interest in converting to Judaism. I’m a historian, so I certainly like learning more about the history and various aspects of Sephardim, whether practicing Jews or conversos.

Latin culture was heavily influenced by Judaism and Islam, and obviously there were African and Native influences in the Americas. I think it’s interesting that people define themselves or identify with various aspects of their heritage as they please instead of just letting people impose identities on them.

The Iberian Peninsula is a part of Europe, citizenship is one EU nation grants you the right to work and live anywhere in the block. Plus you get free healthcare, subsidised education, etc. No one, Jew or converso is doing this for religious reasons. Their are economic benefits, plus those that like the Iberian Peninsula are inclined to do this.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 09-12-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 07:21 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one has to do anything they don’t like. You cannot purse Spanish citizenship by simply having Spanish ancestors a few generations back. You need a Spanish parent or grandparents. Anything further Yvan that and the person would need to purse the Sephardic citizenship or work in Spain for two years and then apply.

The law has nothing, I repeat, nothing do with Judaism has a faith. Anyone with any Sephardic ancestry may apply for either the Spanish or Portuguese programs.

And it’s a personal choice, it’s up for the individual to decide on whether he or she wants to do it. I did it and I have no interest in converting to Judaism. I’m a historian, so I certainly like learning more about the history and various aspects of Sephardim, whether practicing Jews or conversos.

Latin culture was heavily influenced by Judaism and Islam, and obviously there were African and Native influences in the Americas. I think it’s interesting that people define themselves or identify with various aspects of their heritage as they please instead of just letting people impose identities on them.
To each his own. I believe after two years of residence a PR is eligible to apply for Spanish citizenship. I could be wrong.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
To each his own.
Indeed.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
As long as she reps her Latino roots, says she's against Trump AND she's a brown Woman, the left will elect her. It doesn't matter if she was a madam of a sex trafficking ring, they'll elect her.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:08 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
As long as she reps her Latino roots, says she's against Trump AND she's a brown Woman, the left will elect her. It doesn't matter if she was a madam of a sex trafficking ring, they'll elect her.
Yawn...

Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I disagree. Especially since jews in Spain were a small minority. Also it depends where in Spain did thr jews assimilate. Catalonia and basque regions are devoid of jews. Jews of Spain mainly lived in the southern regions with the Muslims. I highly doubt nearly all Spanish people have Jewish ancestry. If that is the case all Germans, Russians, Latvians, Estonians, Ukrainians, Asian Russians all have Ashkenazi heritage.

Catalonia was not devoid of Jews.

Girona, a city in Catalonia, has an ancient Jewish quarter, complete with a mikvah.

Nachmanides (famous Jewish rabbi from centuries ago) reportedly was from Girona.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
The last 4 pages of this thread reminds of the scene from "Band of Brothers" wherethey are on the boat fighting about Captain Sobel...

...who is universally agreed to be a DBag...

She claims to be from the Bronx and grew up from the age of 5 in Yorktown Heights.

I guarantee I spent more time on Morris Av then she ever has. I grew up in washington Heights (east, NOT west of Broadway) and Inwood. I speak Spanish and east "pastelitos" on the regular. I'm "corn-fed white-bread" and I'm prob'ly more "Latin" than she ever will be!

Let's just all come together, hold hands, sing "Kumbaya" or some crap and universally agree that she sux! Not just because she is a liberal but, because if liberals cared anything about their party's professional image they would promote someone more qualified than a bartender, who is the very epitome of "white privilege" their party claims to reject.

This, at least, we can do.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The last 4 pages of this thread reminds of the scene from "Band of Brothers" wherethey are on the boat fighting about Captain Sobel...

...who is universally agreed to be a DBag...

She claims to be from the Bronx and grew up from the age of 5 in Yorktown Heights.

I guarantee I spent more time on Morris Av then she ever has. I grew up in washington Heights (east, NOT west of Broadway) and Inwood. I speak Spanish and east "pastelitos" on the regular. I'm "corn-fed white-bread" and I'm prob'ly more "Latin" than she ever will be!

Let's just all come together, hold hands, sing "Kumbaya" or some crap and universally agree that she sux! Not just because she is a liberal but, because if liberals cared anything about their party's professional image they would promote someone more qualified than a bartender, who is the very epitome of "white privilege" their party claims to reject.

This, at least, we can do.
I do not think she sucks and I congratulate her on her win.

Hanging out or growing up in Washington Heights doesn't make you Latin. Washington Heights isn't a place in a Latin nation.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do not think she sucks and I congratulate her on her win.

Hanging out or growing up in Washington Heights doesn't make you Latin. Washington Heights isn't a place in a Latin nation.
You're right, it does not make me Latin, nor should it. Neither does living in the Bronx from age 0 to 5 mean someone is "from the Bronx".

As for her win, it don't seem like such a big deal when it's against a Tammany Hall style dirtbag like Crowley.

I swear, with this crowd I'd have trouble getting a unanimous decision on "2+2=4".

Old 09-12-2018, 11:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
One of the things I have noticed is that the Spanish and the Portuguese removed or sephardic Jewish culture from the Iberian Peninsula. 500 years later. Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union removed Ashkenazi culture from central and Eastern Europe. What these 4 nations have done are real horrible crimes against humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City