Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think there were some private black-run schools during the civil rights movement. I know the Black Panthers established some schools.

I never understood why African-Americans would expect the American government - the same government that has oppressed them over centuries - to provide schools that would be adequately affirming and adequately and accurately teach their history.
I agree with you there. There were some Black private run schools before and during the civil rights movement.

For the record I am not against white teachers teaching minority students. My complaint is just what you said, obviously the same American government which oppressed AAs throughout the centuries has no interest in adequately affirming or teaching their history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Great - soon we can have all the black kids in a school taught by black teachers, all the Asian kids in a school taught by Asian teachers, in fact - boys don't identify with ladies, so we can also divide all the boys into boys schools with male teachers, all white girls in a school with white female teachers.

We've come a long way since the '50s fo sure. Segregation is making a comeback disguised as progressiveness. You hispanic? Well you can only be taught by Hispanic teachers. It'll be good for you.
Segregation never went away. Look at this message forum. If it's any representation of NYC, there's no genuine integregation. And actually if you look at NYC neighborhoods and politics, there's no genuine integration.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yeah, there is that...

I think many white liberals- or should I say the white "left" - tend to be confused...
What Bronxguyanese said about the white liberals going back home to their safe communities after working at teaching at public schools is part of the problem. The teacher isn't a part of the community, and really has no real stake in it.

With that said, I am not attacking white teachers individually for having minority students, and there are good white teachers. However the institutional organization of public education is pretty horrible, it produces results so bad those of us who have worked in education call it the school to prison pipeline.

And yes I think minority communities in NYC should learn from Jews with their Yeshivas. Communities should be more responsible for the education of their students, and that includes finding ways to fund them.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM

497 posts, read 284,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Segregation never went away. Look at this message forum. If it's any representation of NYC, there's no genuine integregation. And actually if you look at NYC neighborhoods and politics, there's no genuine integration.
There is still plenty of social.segregatiom but I don't think this board is a good representation of anything. Too many weirdos and curmudgeons here.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Good luck with that...
Despite the poverty of many Asian immigrants, there are indeed Asians who find ways of having Asian operated after school programs or Asian ESL programs. I know because I worked at them some years ago, and this is a factor in while Asians in NYC slay others on standardized tests.

Because some people in the community operate schools that deal with the community. And those Asian operating those schools know the needs of their communities well. I can say the same for Jews and their Yeshivas. What's good for the goose is good for gander too and there's no real reason why Black communities can't do more to operate their own schools and ditto Latino.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
There is still plenty of social.segregatiom but I don't think this board is a good representation of anything. Too many weirdos and curmudgeons here.
Good points.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What Bronxguyanese said about the white liberals going back home to their safe communities after working at teaching at public schools is part of the problem. The teacher isn't a part of the community, and really has no real stake in it.

With that said, I am not attacking white teachers individually for having minority students, and there are good white teachers. However the institutional organization of public education is pretty horrible, it produces results so bad those of us who have worked in education call it the school to prison pipeline.

And yes I think minority communities in NYC should learn from Jews with their Yeshivas. Communities should be more responsible for the education of their students, and that includes finding ways to fund them.
Thank You Nywriterdude, and that is part of the problem. Over the years I have become critical of the following groups. White Liberals, Pro Blacks, SJW's, Feminists, Black Feminists, white nationalist, white supremacists, and the Alt-Right. All of these groups have a toxic nature and do not follow their narrative or rhetoric. Should we go back to a segregationist society? Pro Blacks advocate for such, and so do the White Nationalists. The white liberal on the other hand makes money off of the dysfunction of black people in black neighborhood as well as on the job. A pro-black advocate named Umar Johnson is trying to open up an all black school. So far he has raised 2million dollars, but has yet to open a school. Not for nothing, with black men buying air Jordan's and black women getting a degree, after degree, after degree. Black women donating money to the black pastor over and over. That is enough money to open up a black school, or a Baptist school for black youth school.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thank You Nywriterdude, and that is part of the problem. Over the years I have become critical of the following groups. White Liberals, Pro Blacks, SJW's, Feminists, Black Feminists, white nationalist, white supremacists, and the Alt-Right. All of these groups have a toxic nature and do not follow their narrative or rhetoric. Should we go back to a segregationist society? Pro Blacks advocate for such, and so do the White Nationalists. The white liberal on the other hand makes money off of the dysfunction of black people in black neighborhood as well as on the job. A pro-black advocate named Umar Johnson is trying to open up an all black school. So far he has raised 2million dollars, but has yet to open a school. Not for nothing, with black men buying air Jordan's and black women getting a degree, after degree, after degree. Black women donating money to the black pastor over and over. That is enough money to open up a black school, or a Baptist school for black youth school.
Wow false equivalents and generalizations abound. You should dislike white supremacists they want to kill you. But feminism, sjw, problacks, is a lot of generalized thinking and label ling on your part. Sure, there may people you meet in those groups who are extremists. Yet you have strident obnoxious people at Sunday school and little league too. Your loose with your terms and quick paint with a broad brush. Your too smart to do that, stop it.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Wow false equivalents and generalizations abound. You should dislike white supremacists they want to kill you. But feminism, sjw, problacks, is a lot of generalized thinking and label ling on your part. Sure, there may people you meet in those groups who are extremists. Yet you have strident obnoxious people at Sunday school and little league too. Your loose with your terms and quick paint with a broad brush. Your too smart to do that, stop it.
It is not general. Such people are toxic. Also I didn't say dislike. I'm just critical of such groups and echo chambers. I'm sorry that your lefty culo is triggered. Oh well. I have been critical and critique such cringe fringe groups and echo chambers. It's OK to critique white racist, but not OK to critique everybody else. God damn you're a simp. One group is trying to kill people regardless of race, while another is trying to get people fired, evicted, or expelled from college. Either way it's a loss of livelihood or life.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is not general. Such people are toxic. Also I didn't say dislike. I'm just critical of such groups and echo chambers. I'm sorry that your lefty culo is triggered. Oh well. I have been critical and critique such cringe fringe groups and echo chambers. It's OK to critique white racist, but not OK to critique everybody else. God damn you're a simp.
What is it witb you and ass references wben your criticized ? And insults. I havent called you names. Your prone to generalise then when your challenged to be better tben tbat, you insult and berate. Wbat your not better then tbat ? I hope you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City