Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
And it’s funny how you say formerly poor. As all those areas have houses well over a million dollars now, non renovated. That’s not middle class in the traditional sense housing prices. A 100k income won’t get you a loan for those houses, the condos/co ops are still 600k at minimum. Plus the need for the down payment. So they have to go further and further as gentrification stretches with little to show for it. You are further away from the prime areas and no school options. Then that leads to low income people being priced out, a cycle that keeps on repeating because no one has a real solution

I disagree with pensions at least as much as some are. Like I said pay them a decent wage now and give them a good 401k plan. We can’t afford for the pensions expense to continually spiral out of control. You have too many government workers struggling now which explains the service New Yorkers get from government agencies
You distort the real estate market. Lots of people have purchased homes in areas say Bedstuy years or decades ago. Those houses are NOW worth a lot of money, and they can sell at a huge profit. The upswing in prices has benefitted property owners, even those who started out lower middle class. Real estate markets are really all about timing. Those who bought in Bedstuy in the 1990s did not pay much.

100k income should be able to get you a mortgage for a 600k home. It's not like you have to pay the mortage out in a year. Simply take out a 15 or 20 year or 30 year mortgage. Work hard and prepay the mortgage if you can.

I think you're distorting things for the middle class in NYC. While they certainly can't buy in Chelsea or Williamsburg, there are still PLENTY of AREAS in the city itself where middle class people buy homes.

As for the kids, really, SCREW the children and SCREW the schools. This is the ultimate excuse in snobbery and laziness. The schools aren't the issue if the parents are willing to figure out how to invest time and money in their children, do what they can to help their kids with their homework or make sure they do it, find tutors or work together to improve education/schools in the community.

Actually parents have organized and worked with teachers and administration to improve schools.

I don't know why people on City Data think that all NYC has to go to the SAME FEW white/Asian schools! Jesus Christ!

I've personally known middle class parents who sent their kids to charter schools or even private schools, and yes they were middle class minorities. No not all public schools further out are bad either.

I have no idea why people think it's their god given right to live in the so called prime areas. Lots of people live and work in NYC without every having to go to the so called prime areas.

My last two years in NYC I lived in Hamilton Heights, Harem while I was a graduated student at Columbia. I rarely went to the "cool" parts of Manhattan as I was too busy with other things. There was really no reason to most days.

And it's not just me, lots of New Yorkers work, go to school, and live without having to go to the supposedly prime areas.

Some New Yorkers even do the ultimately uncool and do reserve commutes and work out in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
She striked me as unpolished & unprepared. I believe she should’ve run for mayor instead of governor. At least gain some political experience so the public would have a viable reason to vote for you besides being a former SITC actress

Or even for City Council?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 6,595 times
So now that Corrupt Cuomo has won again, what are the chances he does jack to fix the subways? It's a pathetic disgrace.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:15 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yea she seems more like city council level to me.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Disney store is an Abomination. Give me XXX movie theaters any day of the week.
I agree. In Tokyo, they have Kabukicho and Dogenzaka while we have nothing and it's a damned shame. Japan is also extremely conservative, though things are changing, slowly. Maybe it's a sign, but I'd love for a neighborhood filled with raves, clubs, love hotels, and other darker vices of humanity. Such is NYC and possibly even America in 2018. I can't even find a cigarette store with $7 packs to recommend the young'uns at NYU anymore. We didn't need to become washed out to become safe, but what's said is done.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
The Real Story of Cuomo

/thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:40 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Nah. That 100k they make is pocket change to her

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Nah. That 100k they make is pocket change to her

One hundred grand per is not a lot of money for NYC. Well not after taxes and everything else anyway.

That kind of money yes, does put one firmly in the "middle class", especially if single/no dependents. But for a family with one or two children, and especially a SAHM (or SAHH) things can be tight.

https://neuvoo.com/tax-calculator/New+York-100000

https://www.financialsamurai.com/how...like-new-york/

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/30/167...g-income-study

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/r...manhattan.html

Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One hundred grand per is not a lot of money for NYC. Well not after taxes and everything else anyway.

That kind of money yes, does put one firmly in the "middle class", especially if single/no dependents. But for a family with one or two children, and especially a SAHM (or SAHH) things can be tight.

https://neuvoo.com/tax-calculator/New+York-100000

https://www.financialsamurai.com/how...like-new-york/

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/30/167...g-income-study

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/r...manhattan.html
Sure but she hardly needs the money.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Sure but she hardly needs the money.

How do you know what Ms. Nixon or anyone else "needs", and more to the point who makes that call?

Does Mike Bloomberg "need" any more money? George Soros? Jamie Dillon? What about the partners of Goldman Sachs? Or, to be inclusive how about Kanye West?

The hatred sometimes against people who earn on this forum is really just too bad.

Ms. Nixon worked hard for her money, no one gave her anything, which is as it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City