Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times

Advertisements

Now I'm sicker then I have been in years because a co-worker came to work last week sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 11:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Now I'm sicker then I have been in years because a co-worker came to work last week sick!
That sucks BUT I will say, I've been sick, felt better, came to work and realized it was a huge mistake. I do blame being surrounded by nasty people on the subway and work.

I hope you feel better soon though Binge watch Ozark to pass the time

Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
A good thing you were not on the train. This could have made things worse for thousands of people.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 AM

152 posts, read 155,925 times
You can't stay home for more than 5 sick days without losing pay.
So I can understand how some people troop it.

Especially if you have a bad allergy, that takes about 2 weeks to go away, sometimes longer.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post

Especially if you have a bad allergy, that takes about 2 weeks to go away, sometimes longer.
Not true for everyone, certainly not my firm. The policy is if you are sick, you stay home. Obviously for more serious issues there is a formal process.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

Allergies aren't contagious. If you have something contagious like the flu, if you can stay home.

Or at least people should do things like take their flu shots or if they do get sick, go to the doctor and get antivirals to clear the flu up.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
People need to get better immune systems and stop throwing hand sanitizer and disinfectant every where.

We are heading towards the antibiotics problem where the more they treated diseases with antibiotics the more resistant they became. Now we have these things flying around with capes line super AIDS, and super gonorrhea.

Quote:

My firm gives 7 sick days per calendar year or was it 14...…….I cant remember exactly the number as I hardly ever use them and when I do its because if I don't use them I loose them. and if you sell them back they get double taxed.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Well, those who go to work while being sick might just consider themselves some kind of warrior. Maybe, they want you to be a warrior just like them too you know. Sharing is caring. Lol

Old 10-02-2018, 05:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Well I don't give 2 f*ks about them. Now I'm sick bad and now I'm missing work and money.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Ever since companies moved to PTO instead of separate sick, vacation and personal days off more and more people started coming in when ill. Employees just don't want to use up those days off because it messes with their vacation or other time off plans.

Have seen some rather testy (ok down right nasty) incidents where an assistant or someone was asked to go home, or being "sent" because it was obvious they were not well.

This being said IMHO you tend to see this reluctance from certain hourly or whatever employees who have set amount of PTO. This coupled with a place that isn't very flexible on the issue.

Employers can (and often are) caught between a rock and hard place. OTOH you have someone who wants to work but is visibly ill. On the other those working around/with said person obviously have their own health to consider.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...employees.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: