Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
That's fine, people can go visit Chicago, but until it first reverses its population loss and then manages to outpace other cities in growth, I have a hard time believing people want to live there vs other places. I don't hear much negativity from visiting outside of constantly delayed flights. I don't hear much positivity from those whom live there either. There's also a lot of boosterism that goes on that seems misguided. I don't know too many of my high school classmates that stayed in Chicago much less IL either.

I dunno, growing up there and going back every year I just don't see it. It's not a bad city, but it's not that great either. I feel like I can sum up my experience of it in Murray Hill/Kips Bay, Corona/Sunset Park, and East New York. They need to get rid of that cumulative 13.5% sales tax on alcohol and restaurants, and stop taxing groceries and clothes, but at the same rate I wish we had lower income tax. They have a better QOL given more cheaper (relatively a mixed bag) modern apartments, but there's just more to and to do in NYC. You have to be rich these days, but you can actually live on multiple sides of Manhattan and wake up to a view of different parts of the waterfront. With Chicago, Michigan is a little too far. Different places, different experiences.

Also, to hell to the person who started dibs.
You seem to need to demean Chicago by things that are not what makes the city vibrant, cleaner and its rise in popularity for tourism.

Delayed flights .... of all things. and who ever says ..... mighty NYC our largest city and the "World's" city ..... doesn't have most in quantities of things to do overall. and no one is going o complement either cities taxes.

Your last comment seems to show some issues and personal resentment. It is just a forum of comments on a variety of things that change nothing in life to anger. Waaay too much baggage it seems from the past.

Manhattan is split between the Hudson and East river. I'm not sure if views of the river are more desirable then views in Manhattan itself. In Chicago's high-rise to skyscraper living .... a view of the blue waters Lake Michigan is HIGHLY desired. Lake and skyline views highest desired.

Chicago is a city TODAY that is easy to boast if in it views well and its standard green-frontage neighborhoods with uniform sidewalks, curbing and set-backs to architecture .... make it easy there too. No one is going to boast of hoods of any city. Of course. Chicago's core is where it gains much esteem today. NYC had it for many many decades. Chicago's is much more recent again.

Lake Michigan is a great asset Chicago has and sadly, the Midwest region and having winters deemed worst then the Northeast cities ..... do not help it really. But it took its location where it is create it as it is.

Views that showcase Lake Michigan people can have....
Attached Thumbnails
Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-chicago-high-rise-view-..jpg   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-chicagos-gold-coast-neighborhood-north-shore   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-view-over-chicago-lake-michigan-full   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-streeterville-downtown-chicago-neighborhood-gold-coast   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-looking-section-lake-shore-drive-chicago  

Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-looking-over-part-millennium-park-maggie  

Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I don't know were you got Chicago's Black % of the city from it is below 1/3 today and dropping. The city still is split by thirds basically. Non-Latino White, Latino and Black. The White population has increased over the rest and even the Latino population % I read still did surpassed the African-American %.

Ce
I was discussing the socio economic status of blacks in Chicago. They have among the lowest median household incomes, do worse when compared to the average metro area median household income, are less likely to have attained college level education, and are less likely to be in the professional/management occupations.

It doesn't matter how well Chicago is doing. Among the cities with the 10 largest black populations only Philly and Detroit do worse.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And you underestimate how big social services sector in NYC is.

You are in Europe now so will have learned how skimpy social support programs in the USA are, even in NYC. Why do you think that we see extreme poverty every time we ride the subway or walk around Midtown, especially near the transportation hubs?

Do you know that over 100k kids are homeless, based on the NYT? That is over almost 10% of the kids attending public school. In some schools its as high as 40%. So where is this all encompassing social support network. Medicaid doesn't house people.

The vast majority of NYers, even blacks, do NOT work in the public sector. And that sector is NOT growing, so if anyone expects that it will provide a vibrant future should step over the border to Canada or fly to the Nordic nations. We have a growing Federal deficit so I expect sharp budget cuts when the next recession comes.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
CUNY and SUNY are free. .
That is patently false. Even the 2 year colleges charge fees. And most lower middle class people don't qualify for extensive financial aid either. The reason why the average CUNY student takes 6 years to graduate is that they cannot afford to go to school full time. Please recall that in addition to education costs people have other bills to pay as CUNY doesn't cover residency.

SUNY isnt cheap.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, they're not per se; but if household income is low enough (and for large numbers of NYS/NYC residents it is), then between Pell, Tap, and other need based financial aid, they don't pay a cent. Some take out loans even when totally not necessary just to have extra spending cash.

Only people one is aware of who paid anywhere near big money to attend CUNY or SUNY were either out of state residents, and or persons who for various reasons didn't qualify for any financial aid.
The income has to be very low because most students at CUNY take years to graduate and that is because they must work to pay fees and so that limits the number of credits that they can take.

https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/tuition-and-fees/

While cheaper than private schools SUNY does cost.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The income has to be very low because most students at CUNY take years to graduate and that is because they must work to pay fees and so that limits the number of credits that they can take.

https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/tuition-and-fees/

While cheaper than private schools SUNY does cost.
It is free if the students are attending full time, and the new limit is 125, 000 per year. One has to attend full time.

Low income students often struggle with crappy jobs and attend part time, which decreases the chance they’ll ever graduate.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
It is free if the students are attending full time, and the new limit is 125, 000 per year. One has to attend full time.

Low income students often struggle with crappy jobs and attend part time, which decreases the chance they’ll ever graduate.
This is the Excelsior program that you describe and the conditions are so tight that being included is difficult. Most CUNY students have to work as they have bills to pay aside from tuition, meaning that they don't qualify. This is much talked about and Cuomo is being lobbied to relax the rules, given the realities, especially for CUNY students.

The jobs poor students might get might well be crappy but someone has to pay the bills. Many of these people are adults with adult responsibilities. I am sure that many would in fact prefer to go full time as it improves the probability of completion and hopefully speeds up their access to better paying jobs. But they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City