Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Deleted.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:48 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Multiple people have answered you, and you keep asking the same question. Since no answer is apparently enough for you, do your own research. Read old newspapers online.

Don't worry, this thread with likely go downhill and get blocked or deleted. So no more Chicago related stuff on the NYC forum WHEN that happens.
Read what is said this is about New York NOT Chicago. What did New York mayors do that made NYC safe it is a simple question?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
When Chicago tore down Cabrini Green and other projects, all of that hardcore ghettoism that was isolated to those areas began to spread out.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Does New York still have the Guardian Angels I think they were called patrolling the streets?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 AM

192 posts, read 187,581 times
We also don't have as many guns, our guns laws are a bit tougher and so are our neighbors'

Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 AM

40 posts, read 34,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Do not use my question for your agenda. Either answer what I have asked or do not waste my time. BTW Chicago had another violent weekend including the death of a two year old, Did New York NO so AGAIN WHY??? What did New York do?
Lol, what agenda would I have?

You said what you said and I deciphered it and gave you facts. And you're just proving me right by your further statements. You respond to my post by talking about a violent Chicago weekend which is clearly to your point about cops being afraid because Van Dyke got sentenced. And the violent weekend was black people involved right? Yes, you have an agenda that isn't hidden at all. If black on black crime is the problem then why are you afraid and afraid for your family to move there now? I respectfully read this whole post before commenting.

There are multiple answers to your question, but you just want to hear people say what you want to be stated. C'mon ,you're asking if someone was killed in NYC over the weekend. This place is no paradise

Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaCupCoffee View Post
Lol, what agenda would I have?

You said what you said and I deciphered it and gave you facts. And you're just proving me right by your further statements. You respond to my post by talking about a violent Chicago weekend which is clearly to your point about cops being afraid because Van Dyke got sentenced. And the violent weekend was black people involved right? Yes, you have an agenda that isn't hidden at all. If black on black crime is the problem then why are you afraid and afraid for your family to move there now? I respectfully read this whole post before commenting.

There are multiple answers to your question, but you just want to hear people say what you want to be stated. C'mon ,you're asking if someone was killed in NYC over the weekend. This place is no paradise

Crime in New York is not nearly as bad as it is in Chicago even though NYC is MUCH bigger and my question is simple which is what is New York doing that has made it that way? What does New York do that is working?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:22 AM

40 posts, read 34,712 times
I'll be fair and give an answer. Even though I genuinely feel you have a specific answer you want to read.

Chicago has easier access to guns. Illinois has weaker gun laws than New York. Indiana is even better for gun owners . In Wisconsin you don't even need a permit to open carry. Just like drugs, guns are brought into Chicago neighborhoods quite easily. Maybe it is your cops . A guess, but maybe Chicago Police Department is more corrupt than NYPD .

Detroit, St. Louis, Rockford and probably Kansas City are all more violent than NY and Chicago and closer to Chicago. So "what about the crimes in Chicago" is pretty coded and when I hear that I know it's by someone not at all interested in researching crime rates or reducing crime. It's generally said about someone about to rant about thugs and only got wind of Chicago crimes because a president was from there. But you live there so tried to give you benefit of the doubt.

So here is a 2nd answer:

NYC is too expensive for criminals. Atlanta crime rate went up, lots of people can get a 3bdr aparment in a complex there for the same amount as a studio in NYC, and between that and Hurricane Katrina they recieved lots of transplants. Chicago has apartment complexes too. NYC just has housing projects for lower income which are harder to get into without a family member there so the building knows the family. Projects have community in NYC, it breeds a different level of respect. Some of our craziest crimes are from first or second generation residents who don't have multigenerational ties to the community or the respect.

Illinois has a higher teen pregnancy rate than New York so the young parents are not teaching their kids the same respect and are not living with older family members that grew in a community they respected. Grandmothers can be 48 years old. Teens have a harder time making legal money, then people do horrible things when poor.

A poor NYC resident and a poor Chicago resident are living differently. Nyc is starting to teach mental health in schools. Chicago needs that and therapists because these kids are witnessing murder and experiencing theft at young ages. They have all kinds of mental illnesses undiagnosed . Who wouldn't have PTSD? And they are supposed to learn in school and go home hungry while studying for tests and raising their younger siblings? Chicago could improve housing and provide therapy, then it could be safer. I know people with very low income who get therapy here.

Last edited by TeaCupCoffee; 10-08-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-08-2018, 10:02 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Does New York still have the Guardian Angels I think they were called patrolling the streets?
Yes

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times
Quote:
Crime in New York is not nearly as bad as it is in Chicago even though NYC is MUCH bigger and my question is simple which is what is New York doing that has made it that way? What does New York do that is working?
A lot of people gave you some good answers, it is probably a combination of all those things and a factor of others or lack there of... and in some cases what did Chicago as a city do and not do...maybe it's not as simple and not just one answer as you want it to be, or whatever blame you want to put their forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City