Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I've told ya; all the originals are either seniors or very close. As for attracting new blood, Guardian Angels were a movement that came along at right time. That moment has passed and young kids today have other things to do.

Keep in mind for a good part of 1990's crime (especially violent) had begun dropping pretty much all over USA. As the crack cocaine epidemic (and crime wave it spawned) subsided you had less need for volunteer street patrols.

The other NYC LE efforts (Broken Windows, stop and frisk, Comstat) from Rudy G's days were exported to other major urban areas in 1980's and 1990's helping to bring down crime as well.
Then why do I see Silwa and new younger Guardian Angels in videos talking about how they are making a comeback because crime is becoming an issue again? They are needed more now than ever!

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
I think that since NYC has a good safety net for poor/homeless people, we have a lower crime rate than other big cities. Because people are not as desperate.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Then why do I see Silwa and new younger Guardian Angels in videos talking about how they are making a comeback because crime is becoming an issue again? They are needed more now than ever!

Again Mr. Silwa is a man constantly reliving his glory days. Sort of like Al Bundy and that famous football pass that made him BMOC at Polk HS.

Yes, back in 2015 and 2016 (along with some other years) Mr. Silwa and his GAs were "invited" or whatever back by NYPD commissioner Bratton.

https://nypost.com/2016/02/01/subway...ct-them-again/

https://nypost.com/2015/08/10/guardi...-central-park/

But there is more to the story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/n...cond-week.html

Bottom line is NYPD and the liberal/progressive democrat mayor Bill de Blasio have been at war literally since day one. Mayor is the new found "savoir" of minorities and has reversed many of the policies that helped make NYC safer under Rudy G and even Bloomberg. Broken windows? Gone. Stop and frisk? Gone. Processing turnstile jumpers, pot smokers, etc... ended.

Why should NYPD go out of their way to arrest when DA's office will refuse to prosecute and or court will just let the little swinehunds back out on street? It's the 1970's all over again.

Then there is the fact NYPD numbers have been drastically reduced since 2001. Retirements, 9/11/01 related deaths and other issues, along with several other reasons has caused NYPD numbers to drop.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-officers-nypd

Old 10-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again Mr. Silwa is a man constantly reliving his glory days. Sort of like Al Bundy and that famous football pass that made him BMOC at Polk HS.

Yes, back in 2015 and 2016 (along with some other years) Mr. Silwa and his GAs were "invited" or whatever back by NYPD commissioner Bratton.

https://nypost.com/2016/02/01/subway...ct-them-again/

https://nypost.com/2015/08/10/guardi...-central-park/

But there is more to the story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/n...cond-week.html

Bottom line is NYPD and the liberal/progressive democrat mayor Bill de Blasio have been at war literally since day one. Mayor is the new found "savoir" of minorities and has reversed many of the policies that helped make NYC safer under Rudy G and even Bloomberg. Broken windows? Gone. Stop and frisk? Gone. Processing turnstile jumpers, pot smokers, etc... ended.

Why should NYPD go out of their way to arrest when DA's office will refuse to prosecute and or court will just let the little swinehunds back out on street? It's the 1970's all over again.

Then there is the fact NYPD numbers have been drastically reduced since 2001. Retirements, 9/11/01 related deaths and other issues, along with several other reasons has caused NYPD numbers to drop.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-officers-nypd

Sorry to hear all of that. I feel for you I really do!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:45 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
Chicago is more dangerous on purpose. Their high crime rate is intentional.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post

I cannot argue with that. But I am curious are there areas in New York that are still safe or is it getting like Chicago there too where even areas once safe are now dangerous? Is this trend in New York going to continue and get worse or will this just be a phase and things will turn around and get better?

Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Some see Chicago turned a deaf ear on the Black on Black Gangland shootings and powers that be .... had no issues seeing the African-American population keep dropping. 200,000 last decade and 95,000 this one. The African-American population once outnumbered the White one. Now both the White and Hispanic population and % do with there numbers rising. Latinos one though has slowed much in our current political environment.

That too was part of the reason Chicago was too lax on these gangs in the past. It had a agenda too.

No one is suggesting too ....I take it? To the OP. That NYC is going backwards .... just noting to the OP a upswing in crimes IS National and they are not escaping it either. Gang shootings is more on Chicago's yes. But not increases hitting multiple major cities nationally. Sadly, we can't keep locking up criminals for longer periods..... if we do not fund more prisons.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
Quote:
I cannot argue with that. But I am curious are there areas in New York that are still safe or is it getting like Chicago there too where even areas once safe are now dangerous? Is this trend in New York going to continue and get worse or will this just be a phase and things will turn around and get better?
I'm not sure what to say about that. You must not live in New York City (?) because it is considered quite safe here today.

These two cities are weird to compare.

Chicago has the potential to grow much larger and much greater than NYC because the lay of the land in Chicago is much greater for building and it is more open for expansion. Chicago was built over a swamp and is next to a great lake, while NYC was built around rivers and some rocky terrain making it much more complicated to build and more claustrophobic for expanding.

The alpha building in Chicago, Willis Tower, is probably the coolest building in the USA if not the whole world. That building is hands down the toughest tower in our country. Willis/Sears tower is seriously cool and I cannot think of any building in NYC that can beat it. Chicago is definitely a northern city.

Something you do not hear much of in Chicago is that it clearly displays some tributes to "native" American Indian culture, especially Sears Tower and it's cousin buildings. The whole vibe of the Chicago skyline has native American Indian undertones, of cold-weather native American indian culture - Illinois.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say about that. You must not live in New York City (?) because it is considered quite safe here today.

These two cities are weird to compare.

Chicago has the potential to grow much larger and much greater than NYC because the lay of the land in Chicago is much greater for building and it is more open for expansion. Chicago was built over a swamp and is next to a great lake, while NYC was built around rivers and some rocky terrain making it much more complicated to build and more claustrophobic for expanding.

The alpha building in Chicago, Willis Tower, is probably the coolest building in the USA if not the whole world. That building is hands down the toughest tower in our country. Willis/Sears tower is seriously cool and I cannot think of any building in NYC that can beat it. Chicago is definitely a northern city.

Something you do not hear much of in Chicago is that it clearly displays some tributes to "native" American Indian culture, especially Sears Tower and it's cousin buildings. The whole vibe of the Chicago skyline has native American Indian undertones, of cold-weather native American indian culture - Illinois.
I do agree Chicago should and could be much bigger and greater but cost of living, taxes, crime, etc keep driving the population down. bad enough LA knocked us out of 2nd place in the 80s and now Houston may knock us out of 3rd place soon!

How is the population of New York is it going up or down right now?

Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
I do agree Chicago should and could be much bigger and greater but cost of living, taxes, crime, etc keep driving the population down. bad enough LA knocked us out of 2nd place in the 80s and now Houston may knock us out of 3rd place soon!

How is the population of New York is it going up or down right now?
The city of New York is going up, though the state I believe is going down.

Really, Chicago lacks a lot that New York City has. It was probably similar when I was growing up in the 90s, but these days it feels like a very different city, and likely for the worse as it has a negative growth rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City