Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times

Advertisements

I mean the population of New York is SO much larger than Chicago and yet crime in Chicago is mind blowing and in New York not that bad. So what is done differently? What does New York do that Chicago is not? Or what does Chicago not do that they should?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Well to start, we have a police force the size of a small army. Chicago oftentimes can't respond to crime fast enough ala Fort Apache (though not that bad). One of the annoyances I had growing up in Chicagoland for my first 18 years. The 90s were crime ridden like the 80s were in NYC, I don't know why Chicago's worse happened a decade after the tough years of NYC, at least from what I remember reading about statistics. I was too young to put the numbers to the issue.

People say they hate cops, but the reality is that their presence makes it a whole lot safer. The real issue is the legislature that's making cities into police states after the fact (80-90s), and a lot of people seem gun ho about that. I don't really understand the mentality that goes through much of my generation sometimes.

I head over to Englewood/Woodlawn on the Southside every year for Thanksgiving. At least my aunt's block is safe and we've never had issues. You hang outside enough down there and you'll start to see what's up. Stick with your family and have your buds back so they got yours, it's tough. I might pay more in rent, but I'm comfortable coming home at 4a in the morning, I can't say the same about Chicago. Plus we have better and more varieties of food haha.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:09 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
https://www.lawenforcementedu.net/20...e-departments/

NYPD - 40,000

CPD - 12,000

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2018, 12:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I mean the population of New York is SO much larger than Chicago and yet crime in Chicago is mind blowing and in New York not that bad. So what is done differently? What does New York do that Chicago is not? Or what does Chicago not do that they should?
It is a coastal city for one. And nyc sits on the crossroads of the northeast. NYC also has a deep water port. Chicago is just a major hub for the Midwest and great plains area.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
- NYC has far more economic opportunities than Chicago. A lot of crime is brought on by desperation and a belief that they can't thrive legally.

- NYC has priced out a lot of poor people (whom are more prone to crime) into other states or nearby satellite cities like Newark, Paterson,etc (and even into some depressed suburbs).

- NYC has an ultra-strong police presence and its gridded layout and lack of alleyways makes policing easier.

- A lot off NYC's inner city population consists of hard-working immigrants as opposed to multi-generational welfare leeches.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-05-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 775,510 times
All great points. It is also known that police in Chicago are helpless and afraid to stop criminals because of what is happening right now with Jason Van Dyke who is going too prison for trying to protect the city so now Chicago police are afraid to do anything they need to do in order to stop criminals.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:48 PM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Chicago is different beast compare to NYC in term of crime. Chicago is more gang infested city than NYC with rules and structures.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It is a coastal city for one. And nyc sits on the crossroads of the northeast. NYC also has a deep water port. Chicago is just a major hub for the Midwest and great plains area.
How does NYC being on the coast translate to less crime?

Did the shoreline move closer since the 1970s?

Chill FaM, You're making me LOL today

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
- NYC has far more economic opportunities than Chicago. A lot of crime is brought on by desperation and a belief that they can't thrive legally.

- NYC has priced out a lot of poor people (whom are more prone to crime) into other states or nearby satellite cities like Newark, Paterson, etc.

- NYC has an ultra-strong police presence and its gridded layout and lack of alleyways makes policing easier.

- A lot off NYC's inner city population consists of hard-working immigrants as opposed to multi-generational welfare leeches.
NYC gets a lot more foreign investment from people around the world than does Chicago. NYC has a lot more popular domestic investment and demand too.

NYC is not as segregated in some metrics as Chicago.

Gentrification has forced NYC to confront various social issues in public education and marginalisation that Chicago has not.

Crime fighting in NYC is not restricted to the NYPD. Mental health services, education, and social services all play huge roles in preventing redictivism.

NYC has a much bigger tax base.

NYC's better and more extensive metro area public transportation make it easier for poor people to find jobs out of the neighborhood.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 PM

319 posts, read 400,827 times
i think chicago has a lot of gang and poor people white or black.
we have great police support and the poor is usually in one specific neighborhood or the whole cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City