Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 PM

202 posts, read 165,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The difference between myself and others is I observe my surroundings very acutely and was exposed to a variety of individuals at a young age.

My situation is fine and sustainable - The reason being is because I have made active choices to limit my exposure and risk to certain situations. The OP has a lot of liabilities that are going to end up blowing up in her face at some point. Why just gloss over the fact she has law school loans an existing mortgage and has no plan on where these kids are going to school. The easy going mentality is the danger here. The fact she even thought for ONE second that a 30 minute commute, adequate space for the kids for a decent price was feasible indicates that she is already behind the 8 ball and unprepared.

Did you ever think what is the OPs culture and race - People are talking about Woodside. Are her kids going to be comfortable in a community where virtually nobody is White and some places it's broken English? I grew up in Flushing around immigrants so I don't care. We don't know where the OP grew up or what her kids are accustomed to. All of you guys are just saying "It'll work out" on these types of threads without any regard to if the OP is really being honest with themselves if they are truly prepared. Are White people comfortable walking on 61st and Woodside at 11pm after a long day at work - I don't know. Are the kiddie parks there safe? I have no clue. Unless you do - Don't just all willy nilly say she can find what she needs.

She says 2-3k but have you all looked lately - That often gets you a pre-war. She is saying fine with a walk up - Really? A walk up to the 5th floor? Is her husband OK with that? There's way too many unknowns here and I just find it hard to believe those kids are gonna be OK with this drastic change in lifestyle.

A lot of people here are just coming at it from their perspective. "I'm alright so they gonna be alright". What kind of sh** is that. I see too many maladjusted individuals in this city. Cause they came here with an "Everything's gonna work out fine" and now they stressed to the max because nobody told them the real deal.

I don't know where you all grew up - Dude above even had the nerve to say South BX after 4 dominican kids were either killed, jacked or assaulted
You and I think alike. I love how half these posters spout off neighborhoods that no white person, in their sane mind, would ever consider. Yea it ain't 1980s NYC anymore but it sure as hell ain't the 1950s either when most of NYC was a safe haven for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Her own children are biracial. She may feel more comfortable in a neighborhood that is not exclusively white, although she mentioned in her post that she is white. She may be coming from a part of the US that has less diversity so in comparison, NYC might feel more comfortable for her and for her children to be exposed to other races and/or biracial children like themselves.

"Plus, my kids are biracial. I currently live in a city that really lacks diversity. And I'm white myself, so racial mirrors and diversity are not just a plus, they're really important."

Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
You and I think alike. I love how half these posters spout off neighborhoods that no white person, in their sane mind, would ever consider. Yea it ain't 1980s NYC anymore but it sure as hell ain't the 1950s either when most of NYC was a safe haven for us.
Wow, you guys are really something.
Plenty of white people live in Woodside and Flushing; plenty of white people feel comfortable living there. I'm white and I'd feel comfortable living there.
This board has gotten really racist.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:59 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I would consider Bayside, Queens...it ticks most of the OP's wish list...very lovely community and from the LIRR Bayside station to Penn is about 25 minutes...I would try to rent in the 11361 zip code within walking distance to the station because parking is a nightmare!!! Next choice would be Auburndale close(again parking issue) to the LIRR station...2 bed rooms are doable around 3k not much less.
Bayside is nice. If you live near the LIRR station your commute won't be too bad . (Otherwise you'd have to take a bus to the LIRR,not sure how long that would take,someone more familiat with the neighborhood could tell you).

Bayside has good public schools which is great, and is quite safe.

From what I could see it's mostly Asian and white as far as population goes. There may be a bit more diversity than that though,not sure.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annanyc View Post
Cheapest place to live within half an hour commute from Times Square?
Under the Queensboro Bridge Manhattan side

Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Did you ever think what is the OPs culture and race - People are talking about Woodside. Are her kids going to be comfortable in a community where virtually nobody is White and some places it's broken English? I grew up in Flushing around immigrants so I don't care. We don't know where the OP grew up or what her kids are accustomed to. All of you guys are just saying "It'll work out" on these types of threads without any regard to if the OP is really being honest with themselves if they are truly prepared. Are White people comfortable walking on 61st and Woodside at 11pm after a long day at work - I don't know. Are the kiddie parks there safe? I have no clue. Unless you do - Don't just all willy nilly say she can find what she needs.
Nothing wrong with the people in Woodside! Some of the best people on the planet, if you want a model on how different cultures can live peacefully together and thrive you'll have a hard time finding a better example. Plenty of white people there too.

But seriously if you have something against other cultures then why even move to a city (any city) in the first place

Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
That’s right! It’s not the 1950s or the 1980s, because this decade is the 2010s which is a different decade than either of those! I’m glad we’ve figured this out.

What do you know about living in Sunnyside, Woodside or Jackson Heights? I know working professionals with kid(s) in roughly the same income bracket as the OP living there and who love their neighborhood for the most part. Parts of these neighborhoods are nicer than others and the OP can both afford them in her budget.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-05-2018 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 07:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Sunnyside, Queens along the 7 or Woodside. Done.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 AM

192 posts, read 187,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Wow, you guys are really something.
Plenty of white people live in Woodside and Flushing; plenty of white people feel comfortable living there. I'm white and I'd feel comfortable living there.
This board has gotten really racist.
This guy is very racist, so is the other one, he implied that white women are unsafe around POC, like GTFO! LOL

Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
This guy is very racist, so is the other one, he implied that white women are unsafe around POC, like GTFO! LOL
lol yeah that's just awful. But regarding your statement I never understood why "POC" was an acceptable term to use but "CP" was not. Both are pretty bad IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City