Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:46 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Silly people. You don't think the real estate moguls aren't casting their eyes on all the possibility that "suburban" Staten Island holds for development?

The Staten Island Italians started moving to Middletown, NJ 25 years ago. Remember what the OBX looks like eastbound on holiday nights. Once those older folks on the island thin out and their houses are sold, the environment is going to change. Not overnight, and there will likely long be those suburban-like pockets, but change is a-comin'.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
Is it possible to switch Staten Island for Hudson County NJ?

S.I is the most suburban borough out of the 5. While Hudson County looks like Brooklyn with high density, walkable streets, brownstones and it's own downtown area. Even places like Bayonne are more similar to the other boroughs, while S.I looks like the suburbs of Central Jersey.

Hudson County has the PATH train which runs directly to Manhattan 24/7 and is much closer to Manhattan geographically. While in S.I, you have to pay a toll, use the ferry or express buses. Their train also just spans the island only.

Even S.I tried to secede twice from the city.

I made my point
But it’s f’ing New Jersey! Why would we want to have anything to do with anything f’ing New Jersey?
Rather Staten Island any day.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
North Shore SI is filled with Mexicans
The western part of the North Shore has some immigrants because it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, less expensive than the rest of Staten Island, and thank God we have them, or who else will attend to our gardens? And many of them are very- respectful people.......

Yes, we are acquiring a multitude of people from other countries, mostly Russians and Asians, that are looking to pay what a one-family or two-family costs, which is anywhere from $500,000 plus for a semi-detached house to millions, for the price of peace, and quietness, along with a multitude of trees, parks, lakes, great restaurants, and good schools. We are very- happy here.......!!!!

Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
If what you say is true, which I'm sure there are some diversity but I think Italian American is still the majority. Then who is buying up all the houses, since there are not many buildings for immigrants to be living in?

There are still multitude of Italian-Americans, which keep their homes beautiful.......the DIVERSITY that is coming in.......is loaded with MONEY.....!!!!!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:16 PM

432 posts, read 552,026 times
Quote:
An immigrant is no more of a New Yorker than someone from out of state.
I disagree. The only way out of staters become New Yorkers is if they come here before starting high school, stay in the city, and lay roots down. Otherwise you’re a transplant, and there’s nothing wrong with that btw.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:34 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
I disagree. The only way out of staters become New Yorkers is if they come here before starting high school, stay in the city, and lay roots down. Otherwise you’re a transplant, and there’s nothing wrong with that btw.
That doesn't really make sense. Someone from another US state is way more likely to assimilate than someone from another country. Especially if they're from nearby, like New Jersey. I actually think it would be ridiculous to consider someone from Newark to be a transplant.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense. Someone from another US state is way more likely to assimilate than someone from another country. Especially if they're from nearby, like New Jersey. I actually think it would be ridiculous to consider someone from Newark to be a transplant.
Newark, JC, the Oranges and that general part of NJ are NY in my book. So are Western Nassau and lower Westchester (Yonkers, etc). Where you draw your line in the sand is your prerogative. Just saying someone who grew up in flyover country who comes here in early-mid 20s for a few years after graduating college is not a true N.Y.er in my book. Your formative years were spent elsewhere. Again, nothing wrong with that, just not a New Yorker.

Last edited by edubz; 11-23-2018 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-23-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Newark, JC, the Oranges and that general part of NJ are NY in my book. So are Western Nassau and lower Westchester (Yonkers, etc). Where you draw your line in the sand is your prerogative. Just saying someone who grew up in flyover country who comes here in early-mid 20s for a few years after graduating college is not a true N.Y.er in my book. Your formative years were spent elsewhere. Again, nothing wrong with that, just not a New Yorker.
Then what makes an immigrant a "real New Yorker"?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:09 PM

The struggle and gritty lifestyle they all share. The Pakistani cab driver is struggling to get by, along with the Asian guy at the dry cleaners, along with the native born white guy working in the pizzeria or auto body shop on SI. And they all manage to co exist relatively peacefully. That’s what makes N.Y. special and unique throughout its history. We are all in the struggle together. We may not always love each other, but we make it work. We (the working classes & middle classes) run N.Y.

Out of state transplants tend to be of a different socioeconomic background with higher level degrees and some even have trust funds to fall back on. It’s a whole different mindset. Do you know anyone from another state (besides NJ, which is in close proximity) that came here to take a blue collar job? I bet I know the answer.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The struggle and gritty lifestyle they all share. The Pakistani cab driver is struggling to get by, along with the Asian guy at the dry cleaners, along with the native born white guy working in the pizzeria or auto body shop on SI. And they all manage to co exist relatively peacefully. That’s what makes N.Y. special and unique throughout its history. We are all in the struggle together. We may not always love each other, but we make it work. We (the working classes & middle classes) run N.Y.

Out of state transplants tend to be of a different socioeconomic background with higher level degrees and some even have trust funds to fall back on. It’s a whole different mindset. Do you know anyone from another state (besides NJ, which is in close proximity) that came here to take a blue collar job? I bet I know the answer.
Most white people in Staten Island are middle class, so I don't get your point. The majority of white people in all 5 boroughs are middle class and up, besides maybe Ultra Orthodox Jews and certain Eastern European immigrants. How are all those middle class and up native Manhattanites, Brooklynites, etc. sharing a struggle with poor immigrants?

No, a guy on Staten Island making 100k per year as an NYPD officer is not "struggling". And these days many immigrants from Asia are well off. They're directly driving up real estate prices to insane levels in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City