Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 AM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times

Advertisements

Post should have been rephrased

" The foolish places young people move to "

You can have just as much fun living out in the suburbs for much much less and travel into the city for youthful fun.

Quote: A fool and his money is soon parted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 985,133 times
Those are really sketchy areas except LIC. Because of low rent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
Avoid Astoria, there are many old people and lot of middle aged Greek population.
Avoid Greenpoint, there are mostly Polish families there. Avoid Bensonhurst, too many conservative Italians who voted for Marty Golden.

Neighborhoods for 20s and 30s are Bed-Stuy, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood, Fort Greene, Long Island City, Morningside Heights, Bay Ridge.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM

90 posts, read 71,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
They are sketchy to me, but besides older people lingering on streets, groups of males hanging out on the street, loud music playing from inside cars that you can hear from your apartment, constant street traffic, etc then you are fine. They are sketchy therefore rent is low, but still many live with roommates.

Williamsburg Satmar Hasidic Jewish part should be safe. Be wary of the sound they ring on Friday afternoon, because it sounds like a world war 2 siren. I doubt you will have trouble in Williamsburg north of the bridge because of the amount of people living there.

LIC is sketchy because of the industrial nature of the neighborhood. The part that everyone talks about is the waterfront on Center Blvd on the other side of Manhattan, tons of tall skyscrapers and expensive apartment that isn't worth the price.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:06 PM

37,236 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Nightlife and where a lot of the post-college crowd are--as in what the OP asked for. You're also sketched out by just about anything if all of those neighborhoods except for LIC qualify as "really sketchy" for you.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-29-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 12:13 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,611,335 times
Quote:
What? Williamsburg is sketchy and low rent?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nightlife and where a lot of the post-college crowd are--as in what the OP asked for. You're also sketched out by just about anything if all of those neighborhoods except for LIC qualify as "really sketchy" for you in which case.
Agreed. None of those neighborhoods are "really sketchy" or low rent.

As for places that fit OP's criteria, I would add West Harlem and PLG too

Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,756,936 times
I’d have to add Hamilton Heights in West Harlem. I live here and the place is damn packed with graduate students and young professionals. Lots of bars and more seem to open everyday. It is not cheap anymore, though. Apartments are large for nyc standards. Ten minutes on the subway to midtown.

With Williamsburg, I don’t like it. I think it’s the whole industrial feel. Just looks ugly. Oh and the L train will likely be out of commission for at least a year for maintenance.

Also check the East Village and Lower East Side.

It all really depends on what you can afford. Are roommates ok? What’s your budget?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,869,112 times
Quote:
Nothing sketchy about most of those neighborhoods and one of them I live in.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 985,133 times
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime
See the crime map. Most north Brooklyn is high crime area. Why did these neighborhoods get gentrified in the first place? Because they are bad neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. None of those neighborhoods are "really sketchy" or low rent.

As for places that fit OP's criteria, I would add West Harlem and PLG too

Old 11-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime
See the crime map. Most north Brooklyn is high crime area. Why did these neighborhoods get gentrified in the first place? Because they are bad neighborhoods
It doesn't matter, many young people are living there and having a great time. Your outlook is too Flushing centric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City