Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:08 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungadow View Post
As a young white guy, I prefer white women, ideally the all American girl type or former sorority sister type that trends more towards being "basic".
Astoria is littered with these types as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 08:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Spoken like a person who hasn’t stepped foot in that area in 20 years
Yeah like the Tekashi69 shooting didn't just happen near the center

Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
As a young white guy, I prefer white women, ideally the all American girl type or former sorority sister type that trends more towards being "basic".
That type is in Astoria

Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
That was several months ago. And Fort Greene is not a bad neighborhood at all.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I can start listing all of the crime, including shootings and murders, that happen in so called nice areas of nyc- if you really want to play that game...

The Barclays area, which is at the nexus of a few neighborhoods (Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Boerum Hill, Ft Greene) is so gentrified now, it’s no longer debatable. It’s like someone trying to argue that Williamsburg is dangerous in 2018. They’d probably think that if the last time they were in the area was in 1995. Now if you want to debate about the safety of Bed Stuy, Bushwick or Crown Heights in 2018, that is a fair thing to argue.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:03 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
I am looking at a few opportunities in NYC and being that I am in my mid-twenties and single, I want to move to a part of the city where there are a lot of people that fit my profile and a lot of the local bars and locales are suited more for it. Ideally I'd like to be away from places that are more family oriented and mature because I have been living in a suburb for a bit after college, its been soul sucking!

I've heard Williamsburg fits the bill but any other areas I should be looking into?

Which one has the best bar and nightlife scene? I've heard great things about the Meatpacking District obviously but I'd want to know what areas a lot of people around my age are heading to bars and nightclubs at.

You'll find more relatively affordable housing in Yorkville on the UES which is still popular with young post college set. Not as "Bro" and "Bro-Hoe" as LES, East Village, and some other parts of the city, but those are easily reached when you want to scratch that itch.

Other eastside area would be Turtle Bay/Mid-Town east from about the 20's up through just below Grand Central Terminal.

If you pick a prime "transplant" or whatever "just out of college" demographic area that is hot real estate wise you'll pay a premium for an apartment. Landlords charge those numbers because they can since everyone wants to live their NYC dream. But if you look a bit off the well beaten path you may find more value for your money.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:

Good luck , God bless and happy dating.
Disregard other posts that attempt to persuade you into a different direction
of thought. It is just an opinion. Stick to what your heart desires not theirs.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
As for budget.

I will be making a total of 75,000 in my role which is pretty low for NYC standards, this is before taxes too but more than happy to live with a roommate or two if needed.

Do not underestimate yourself. You are just about in the average middle income earning wage scale.
Consider yourself fortunate. God Bless you in so many ways.You can eventually work your way up to
better positions or work extra hours to pick up some extra cash. I am old school. If I were you I'd hit
the suburbs to save a few bucks. You must set your focus on eventual ownership or you will end up
being just another statistical failure. Renting should only be for temporaries, the retired, and the poor.
If you plan on living out your entire working life in New York you need to focus on owning ,owning , owning.
Nuff said.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 AM

30 posts, read 31,568 times
I did see Astoria being mentioned a good deal as well as Yorkville so those are two places I am going to be looking into.

If anyone else has some places to add I am all ears. It would be a great perk to know what places have an abundance of bars and nightclub type of places that draw in the younger more energetic crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City