Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM

14 posts, read 76,084 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll soon be moving into a women-only boarding house in Clinton/Hell's Kitchen on W. 54th St, right next to the DeWitt Clinton Park. So luckily, safety is not a big concern behind those walls, but I'm a bit worried about the surrounding area. I'm not the most gregarious person, so I don't expect or wish to travel in groups every single time I leave the building. There is a bit of a walk to the nearest metro station, unless I take the bus. Is this area at all safe for a single woman to walk, particularly evenings? By evening, I mean from sundown to 11 PM only, since this residence does have a very strict curfew.

Any other info or advice about this neighborhood would be extremely appreciated (cheap grocery stores, good cheap eats, heck, cheap anything!)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
If you've seen it, you know it's primarily an industrial neighborhood -- lots of warehouses, the delivery services have depots there. East of 9th Ave. it's very gentrified, but your block and those adjacent will be pretty desolate at night. Desolate does not mean unsafe, but you probably won't begin to feel comfortable right away.

Just stay alert to what's going around you.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM

thanks carbro!

i stayed in the city for two weeks a few years ago, but as a tourist, i really had no reason to visit this area... so your info is very helpful!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Yes, west of 9th ave. gets a little desolate/industrial.

Other than that, I hear about all the muggings by real estate developers. Don't buy one of the many condos popping up there and you'll be fine.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
There is a spanish (Dominican I believe) restaurant on 9th and 49th Street that is not expensive. It's called "El Deportivo". I used to go and eat there alot. Also, 9th has a wide variety of different restaurants with different price ranges. If you don't mind taking a stroll in the summer, Grey's Papaya is over on 72nd and Broadway. Some of the cheapest eats you can find in the city, if you like hot dogs. There is also another one on 42nd and 9th. There's a Whole Foods Market at Columbus Circle but I don't think they would be considered cheap. Ray's Pizza on 8th avenue (if it's still there) is reasonable and if they still do the lunch thing at Associated on 9th and 58th, that wasn't too bad. I am going by years ago though, since I have not been in that area in a long time.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Whole Foods is not considered cheap by practically anyone, unless you shop their specials. They discount nicely when they put things on sale.

There's a Food Emporium (which is in reality not cheap -- most items are more expen$ive than at WF) on 8th Ave. @ 50th St. The neighborhood is spotted with delis and bodegas.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

thanks for the restaurant recommendations! can't wait to check them out. but yes, i think i'll have to hunt around for a more reasonable alternative to whole foods... but that's half the fun isn't it?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
As a woman, I don't feel safe at night in Hell's Kitchen. Especially on nights the theaters are dark...And for me Whole Foods is really 'Whole Paycheck.'

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Hmm... it seems to be a mixed bag... luckily, the M31 bus runs right up to the front door of the residence, so I guess I can take that from the nearest metro stn. if I'm coming home at night. And if I'm really feeling desperate, Hopstop quotes the taxi ride from, for example's sake, 57th & 7th Stn to the front door @ about $4. We'll see...

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i'd say its safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City