Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times

Advertisements

Oh Christ, Is he still alive?

Old 12-27-2018, 06:00 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
If the guy made it to the general (can't vote in democrat primary, wrong party), I'd vote for Sliwa. At least the man would be a breathe of fresh air and a change. Rest of the candidates are career democratic political machine hacks who have been or will be chucked out due to term limits.

Interestingly several of those eejits won't promise that if elected to public advocate office they won't run for mayor in 2021. That former speaker of city council is one for a start.

Term limits was supposed to bring change to city government, and bring in new blood. So far all we've gotten is a game of musical chairs where people unable to run again for one office, simply move onto another. The James woman just got herself a safe seat for life (or so she thinks) by being kicked upstate as DA.

Scott Stringer wants to be mayor so bad he can taste it.....

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
With all due respect to him as a showman and entertainer, he's never accomplished anything real in his life.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
With all due respect to him as a showman and entertainer, he's never accomplished anything real in his life.

He helped make the Subway the wonderful system it is today.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Starting the Guardian Angels isn't the least bit noteworthy to you?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Starting the Guardian Angels isn't the least bit noteworthy to you?
Noteworthy, yes because Curtis got them a lot of publicity. Whether they ever achieved any results in making the city safer, I doubt it. Maybe some people felt safer when they saw them but that's intangible. I don't think I've ever read a story where the GA apprehended someone in the act of committing a crime or after committing a crime who was then prosecuted. Maybe they did, but I've never read about it and I think Curtis would have publicized it.

Curtis did fabricate certain exploits of the Guardian Angels. When someone is caught in multiple lies, there are probably others they haven't been caught in.

Quote:
Fabrications[edit]
Sliwa admitted that he had fabricated several of the Angels' exploits as well as a false allegation that he had been kidnapped in 1980 by off-duty transit officers. He has also admitted, in later statements, to "faking several kidnapping attempts on himself to make himself seem more valuable to the public".[8][9] In addition, there has been an allegation that Sliwa did not found the Guardian Angels; that, rather, the group owes its origins to Jeff and Jerry Monroe.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa

Old 12-28-2018, 06:16 AM

Nuttier than a Christmas strudel.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Noteworthy, yes because Curtis got them a lot of publicity. Whether they ever achieved any results in making the city safer, I doubt it. Maybe some people felt safer when they saw them but that's intangible. I don't think I've ever read a story where the GA apprehended someone in the act of committing a crime or after committing a crime who was then prosecuted. Maybe they did, but I've never read about it and I think Curtis would have publicized it.

Curtis did fabricate certain exploits of the Guardian Angels. When someone is caught in multiple lies, there are probably others they haven't been caught in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa
I don't think any grassroots organization at that level really had any chance of making the city safer at that time. I think it's noble, and noteworthy, to at least try to do something about it. Mind you, my opinion of him is indifferent.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Starting my day off with laughter as Curtis kicks sands in deBlasio's face.............Happy Memorial Day to all our Veterans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsGUCMOFKiw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City