Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 PM

712 posts, read 533,296 times

Advertisements

This is officially the most congested section of highway in the country and it's been that way for decades and getting worse. Now I know the anti-car people will come on and say take the bus/train and all this other stuff, but I'm dealing with reality. This highway is a MAJOR truck route for movement of goods and people across the northeast since it's a section of interstate 95 connecting up into new england to nyc to nj. Trucks really don't have any options either. You can't take parkways. It's WAY out of your way to the Tappan zee for a trucker.

This section of highway ends up costing the entire economy a ton of money due to wasted gas/time.
Do you think there will ever actually be a solution proposed for this? NYC/NJ metro drivers are being financially raped every time they cross a bridge. 15 cash. It's over 100 bucks for a truck to cross the GW. You know damn well it's not all going into the gw bridge.

Is it about time another third bridge near the cross county parkway connecting to the palisades parkway is built? 95 NEVER should never have been cut through the bronx. It should have been up in southern westchester county. But what's done is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,335,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
This is officially the most congested section of highway in the country and it's been that way for decades and getting worse. Now I know the anti-car people will come on and say take the bus/train and all this other stuff, but I'm dealing with reality. This highway is a MAJOR truck route for movement of goods and people across the northeast since it's a section of interstate 95 connecting up into new england to nyc to nj. Trucks really don't have any options either. You can't take parkways. It's WAY out of your way to the Tappan zee for a trucker.

This section of highway ends up costing the entire economy a ton of money due to wasted gas/time.
Do you think there will ever actually be a solution proposed for this? NYC/NJ metro drivers are being financially raped every time they cross a bridge. 15 cash. It's over 100 bucks for a truck to cross the GW. You know damn well it's not all going into the gw bridge.

Is it about time another third bridge near the cross county parkway connecting to the palisades parkway is built? 95 NEVER should never have been cut through the bronx. It should have been up in southern westchester county. But what's done is done.
The way I see it there are too many cars on the road and too many trucks too. Congestion pricing to be implemented and more carpooling. I don't have a problem with cars on the road, but driving in this city is a privilege and those who must do so should pay for it. The trucks should be making deliveries outside of rush hour. It all causes too much congestion, and yes, I agree that it is worsening. The whole system is a mess, including the transportation options. We as New Yorkers need to be more outspoken about this problem. Elected officials aren't doing enough quite frankly. I would like to hear more people on this forum. I have to believe that commutes are increasing regardless of how people are getting around. It seems like no one seems to be bothered by it. Every time I look around all I see are people with their heads buried in their cell phones.

What amazes me is how many people are willing to sit in their cars getting nowhere. Are these cheap gas prices really that appealing?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,908,775 times
How many billions are you going to spend for another bridge with the same toll? The reason the Tappan See Bridge is located where it is is because it's just outside the jurisdiction of the Port Authority.

If the tolls were lower, it would be even MORE congested. The only solution would probably be to double the tolls to have fewer vehicles on the road. I don't see another feasible option with a limited budget.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:17 PM

712 posts, read 533,296 times
Doubling tolls isn't going to stop trucks or people that need to get to new england or long island from nj. There's 15 million people in the metro area and the infrastructure is absurd. Look what happend to tolls from 2010 to 2015. They raised them and traffic is just as bad if not worse. In 2008 it was 8 dollars, to 15 in 2015!!! Traffic is worse! Nearly double increase in toll with no result in decreased congestion.

Congestion pricing won't work for the cross bronx road. It's congested 24/7.

I totally agree pierpont that driving in manhattan is a luxury and manhattan is not designed for cars. The gw bridge to 95 connection NEVER should have been put through bronx. But it's done now. It should have been put about 5 miles north near yonkers.

You have to remember the cross bronx is INTERSTATE 95! It's the major route to get past the city for cars/trucks heading from nj to all points in new england. Routes around the city to long island/nj need to be somewhat passable. Imagine if there was ever a disaster and you had to evacuate? Nevermind the added cost of goods because everything comes by truck. And trucks run the cross bronx in the middle of the night and it's JAMMED then to. All hours congestion

Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Doubling tolls isn't going to stop trucks or people that need to get to new england or long island from nj. There's 15 million people in the metro area and the infrastructure is absurd. Look what happend to tolls from 2010 to 2015. They raised them and traffic is just as bad if not worse. In 2008 it was 8 dollars, to 15 in 2015!!! Traffic is worse! Nearly double increase in toll with no result in decreased congestion.

Congestion pricing won't work for the cross bronx road. It's congested 24/7.

I totally agree pierpont that driving in manhattan is a luxury and manhattan is not designed for cars. The gw bridge to 95 connection NEVER should have been put through bronx. But it's done now. It should have been put about 5 miles north near yonkers.

You have to remember the cross bronx is INTERSTATE 95! It's the major route to get past the city for cars/trucks heading from nj to all points in new england. Routes around the city to long island/nj need to be somewhat passable. Imagine if there was ever a disaster and you had to evacuate? Nevermind the added cost of goods because everything comes by truck. And trucks run the cross bronx in the middle of the night and it's JAMMED then to. All hours congestion
The elephant in the room is LOW gas prices. Everyone is out driving now because of that. In Manhattan I see tons of people driving and usually just one person. There is something wrong with that in a city that is already so congested. Ultimately we need something that is comprehensive and not just talk. Elected officials can't seem to agree on anything and that is the real frustrating part. The other issue is the amount of congestion caused by tourism. We have become a city that relies too heavily on tourism and everyone is suffering as a result with longer commutes, even those of us who live and work in Manhattan and don't commute from the outer boroughs.

Those tour buses clog up so many streets and no one seems to even think about that.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Raising tolls would divert more truckers headed to New England up to the Tappan Zee. Some already do that now because of tolls and to avoid NYC in general. If nothing else, the increased tolls would help pay for another Hudson River crossing.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Raising tolls would divert more truckers headed to New England up to the Tappan Zee. Some already do that now because of tolls and to avoid NYC in general. If nothing else, the increased tolls would help pay for another Hudson River crossing.
There needs to be tolls across the board to stop the kind of nonsense you just described, but the question is can Cuomo and de Blowsio work together to get something done? Highly doubtful.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There needs to be tolls across the board to stop the kind of nonsense you just described, but the question is can Cuomo and de Blowsio work together to get something done? Highly doubtful.
Tolls would not stop what I described (truckers diverting up to Tappan Zee). Investment in rail infrastructure would do it though. Long distance freight should be done by rail, with the last few miles done by truck. Heck, you can even do that to get freight to Long Island. There's a rail terminal near Port Elizabeth that can put rail cars on to a barge and take them across New York Harbor into the rail yard in Sunset Park. The NY & Atlantic Railway moves freight along LIRR tracks from there.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,272,921 times
Quote:

All nyc highways are mediocre to very poor. The Cross bronx is one part of a broader problem.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Tolls would not stop what I described (truckers diverting up to Tappan Zee). Investment in rail infrastructure would do it though. Long distance freight should be done by rail, with the last few miles done by truck. Heck, you can even do that to get freight to Long Island. There's a rail terminal near Port Elizabeth that can put rail cars on to a barge and take them across New York Harbor into the rail yard in Sunset Park. The NY & Atlantic Railway moves freight along LIRR tracks from there.
You are right, but the other question is how do you deter people from driving that don't need to be on the roads? I mean how expensive does it have to be to stop all of these people from driving and clogging up the roads? There is complaining about the high tolls, but people STILL drive. Now I understand that some places are a challenge to get to without a car, but some people are just driving just because and that's a problem. We don't have the infrastructure here to support it and likely never will, so there needs to be a short-term and long-term solution to the problem. Implementing what you've described seems more like a long-term solution. I also think that there are too many of these Uber cars and cabs on the road. In my neighborhood, I have noticed an increase in them and they usually don't have passengers either. They just cruise around looking for rides (I'm aware of the fact that Uber cars aren't allowed to do that, but nevertheless they too are part of the congestion problem in my book).

We have the means to drive but usually walk or take a taxi instead as it is easier and more environmentally friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City