Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
YUGE accent.
Especially when he talks about Rusher or Chinar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
It's still a NY accent, the "old" NY accent isn't the same as the even older NY accent that Al Capone and the Three Stoogers used. Accent goes thru variations over time.
It’s da Tree Stooges.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:08 PM

97 posts, read 58,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
where to go to hear the old school white or black ny accents? Do young new yorkers with roots in nyc still know how to turn on the native accents?
A lot don't, but the distinctive Hollywood-style NYC accent is pretty strong on Long Island.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
where to go to hear the old school white or black ny accents? Do young new yorkers with roots in nyc still know how to turn on the native accents?

I feel like black people all across america speak the same (except the deep south). and it's not even an accent really. it's just the way they pronounce words... and grammatical errors all over the place.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Maybe it's more noticible to you because you're from LA. But every Italian I know has a weaker accent than their parents.
LOL, I don't. I'm 29 as I said before on this thread. My accent is STRONG. To the point that my clients from outside NYC even tell me, "Holy ****!" (not in so many words though, lol).

Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
No. I grew up around Mexican, Chinese and Indian immigrants in Flushing so no accent...As a result most people think I'm not from here just because I don't sound like Nas or MOP.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:49 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I feel like black people all across america speak the same (except the deep south). and it's not even an accent really. it's just the way they pronounce words... and grammatical errors all over the place.
If this was the 90s you'd have a case...

Even young adults in the ghetto speak properly these days. When is the last time you've visited the hood?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 AM

313 posts, read 212,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Black people in NYC def have a NYC accent, you can hear it in any East coast NYC rap song. Just listen to Q Tip or Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest, or Mobb Deep or Nas, you'll definitely hear it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If this was the 90s you'd have a case...

Even young adults in the ghetto speak properly these days. When is the last time you've visited the hood?

is you axing me a serious question?
i don't need to visit no hood to hear how ppl in the hood talk. i watch dem fools on duh 10 o'clock news foo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DepefuRqwQ

Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Maybe it's more noticible to you because you're from LA. But every Italian I know has a weaker accent than their parents.
While true that many do have weaker accents than their parents, this family and friend group definitely has the same accents as their parents and older family members. Just as strong. I promise you. I may be from LA, but I know the accent and I met the older family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City