Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
There are all sorts of refugees, Einstein was technically a refugee too. .
"Technically" a refugee?
He was the epitome of a refugee, from Nazi Germany no less

Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
You're forgetting about maintenance fees. That's like paying both rent and mortgage.
I can't speak for condos. I can speak to my coop. I pay maintenance, and it is almost double that of my mortgage. With it however, comes electricity, gas, water, real estate taxes and building maintenance. (That includes landscaping, cleaning, garbage removal, and a lot of other things.)

I did the math with a friend who owns a private home. We added up her annual electric, oil, water, repair and taxes, and my maintenance does come out to be about the same as owning a private home with one difference. I don't have to do so much of the work, which is great, since I am not handy.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:04 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
"Technically" a refugee?
He was the epitome of a refugee, from Nazi Germany no less

"Technically" a refugee in the US, because he was admitted to the US primarily for special merit in science, very secondarily for being a refugee (althogh the latter was obviously his own primary personal motivation for emigrating to the US, after the UK refused to take him despite huge petitioning from the British scientific community). The admission process to the US is extremely different for these two categories - it is very easy to enter the US on an H1 visa (although not necessarily easy to get the full US citizenship) for someone of Einstein's caliber, while it is nowadays near-impossible to enter the US as just a refugee (and it was not entirely easy in Einstein's time either, otherwise most German Jews and many other Europeans would have done it). That is technically unrelated to this thread (I mentioned Einstein only as an evidence that not all refugees, or technically refugees, are Neanderthals, as has been ignorantly postulated). Okay guys, go back to the topic of this thread.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:08 PM

55 posts, read 51,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All you have to do is stop talking about things you know absolutely not About.

A refugee from former Yugoslavia knows completely nothing about the racial dynamics.
Refugees from Yugoslavia have had literal first-hand experience with racist genocides. Whereas somebody who grew up in the comfort of NYC doesn’t have any experience at all with that.

What are you even talking about?

Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
Refugees from Yugoslavia have had literal first-hand experience with racist genocides. Whereas somebody who grew up in the comfort of NYC doesn’t have any experience at all with that.

What are you even talking about?
Who says I grew up in NYC?

A person who grew up in Yugoslavia has no knowledge of anything to do with people of African descent, and should really shut her trap on that.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:

A person who grew up in Yugoslavia has no knowledge of anything to do with people of African descent, and should really shut her trap on that.
Agreed

Old 02-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

I also think there is an Eastern European racism that is taught in school there that is hard for people to unlearn,sadly

Old 02-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I also think there is an Eastern European racism that is taught in school there that is hard for people to unlearn,sadly

Oy... we went through this nonsense a million times :-). I don't know about Eastern Europe proper, but in exYu (which was a country, or now 7 countries, with its own clashing cultures and its own issues very different from what is ordinarily considered Eastern Europe) racism was most definitely NOT taught in school :-). Where did you get such a bizarre notion? We had different religions over there, but surely not different races, so I don't know how kids would get an opportunity to apply racism even if it had been taught anywhere (which it wasn't - when I was a kid, my school subjects included included only math, physics, chemistry, biology, history, geography, languages and literature, and phys ed).

All I said was that there should be the same social rules and rights for people of all races. That is as opposite of racist as it gets.

Last edited by elnrgby; 02-03-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oy... we went through this nonsense a million times :-). I don't know about Eastern Europe proper, but in exYu (which was a country, or now 7 countries, with its own clashing cultures and its own issues very different from what is ordinarily considered Eastern Europe) racism was most definitely NOT taught in school :-). Where did you get such a bizarre notion? We had different religions over there, but surely not different races, so I don't know how kids would get an opportunity to apply racism even if it had been taught anywhere (which it wasn't - when I was a kid, my school subjects included included only math, physics, chemistry, biology, history, geography, languages and literature, and phys ed).

All I said was that there should be the same social rules and rights for people of all races. That is as opposite of racist as it gets.
In the FSU as well,there were few black people, but people tell me the education system taught kids/people to look down on cultures and people of non-European descent, to see European culture as superior to non-European culture.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
In the FSU as well,there were few black people, but people tell me the education system taught kids/people to look down on cultures and people of non-European descent, to see European culture as superior to non-European culture.

Again, as much as you are lumping exYu with Eastern Europe, the FSU is very foreign to me, and I don't know what they were (or still are) doing over there in Russia & associated countries. As I recall, my childhood education was very strongly focused on acquiring proficiency and skills, not on discussing values and opinions - ie, it was centered on math, sciences, and languages. History and geography were presented factually - I was expected to memorize dates and sequences of historic events, and statistical information about countries/geographic areas. That's all. That was what was called education where I was educated. My early education was all cold fact and no-nonsense, and certainly no "teaching to look down upon" anybody (now, there was a lot of murderous looking down upon anybody of different religion, but that was something kids learned at home, not at school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City