Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times

Advertisements

It’d be great if the Tri-State Area really cleaned up its waterways a bit.

There have been some pretty hopeful signs in recent years, but it could be a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,118,719 times
GE is a big part of the problem.
They have been dragging their feet to avoid the ordered cleanup of the Hudson bottom mud that they poisoned with dioxin releasing PCB's for decades.

Quote:
Between 1947 and 1977, General Electric (GE) dumped an estimated 1.3 million pounds of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) into the Hudson River. The source of the PCB discharges was two GE capacitor manufacturing plants located in Fort Edward and Hudson Falls, New York, about 50 miles north of Albany. GE’s PCBs are now found in sediment, water and wildlife throughout the Hudson River ecosystem as far south as the New York Harbor. They are also found in people.

When it rains hard, a lot of towns sewage systems are overwhelmed and raw feces are discharged into the Hudson.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,616,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

There have been some pretty hopeful signs in recent years, but it could be a lot better.
I've seen some interesting photos over the years of how swimming in the river used to be an everyday thing. The GWB park has some old black & white photos of New York residents crossing the river to spend hot summer days swimming in the shadow of the bridge. The city even opened floating public baths in the Hudson and East rivers. Imagine if the rivers could be clear enough to bring these back.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,159,432 times
that looks like so much fun. Cleaning up the Hudson is a lost cause. I cant imaging how far north a clean up would take.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
that looks like so much fun. Cleaning up the Hudson is a lost cause. I cant imaging how far north a clean up would take.

Almost as far North as Lake George. A proper cleanup would likely bankrupt General Electric.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:

It DID. The water in the Hudson is the cleanest its been in 40 years or more. That doesn't mean it's actually clean by the standards of most people, but it's clean enough that there's a now major problem with marine borers eating wooden piers. When it was more polluted, the marine borers couldn't survive.

http://gothamist.com/2016/09/20/broo...ark_borers.php

The Hudson-Raritan Estuary organization has been doing the oyster restoration program for at least ten years that I can recall. No, you aren't going to want to eat any of them, but the fact remains that the oysters that used to be plentiful in the harbor were a huge part of the natural cleansing process of the ecosystem. They've got at least seven oyster beds placed strategically throughout the estuary and are monitoring the progress of their growth and effectiveness (they occasionally pull a few up and "sacrifice" them to assess change in the water.)

https://www.hudsonriver.org/

Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM

I must wonder if "sacrifice" means EAT?????

I gathered dozens of clams off Cherry Grove in 1973. Delicious icy and raw, and I got myself a case of Hepatitis A...no fun.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I gathered dozens of clams off Cherry Grove in 1973. Delicious icy and raw, and I got myself a case of Hepatitis A...no fun.
No, lol. You don't want to eat these oysters. It means they will kill some for the greater good.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

That baywater is now cleaner than it's been in a long time thanks to Superstorm Sandy reopening the Old Inlet by Smith Point. Cuomo wanted to close it right back up, but thank goodness the scientists stepped in to stop him.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,489,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So the one at Delmonico's is not "great"? Just wondering.

It's my employer's favorite restaurant, although he'll never have a steak there. Four of us went to lunch last year. At the time, I was not eating meat, only fish. My lunch companions were a Jew, who could not have meat that wasn't kosher, and two Muslims, who could not have meat that wasn't halal. So there we were, at a famous New York steakhouse, and we all had haddock. It was really, really good.

too many rules. What good is life if you can't enjoy food?

Quote:
The Delmonico's rendition, the original, is definitely great. Delmonico's is very capable with seafood and there are quite a few restaurants that serve great seafood from many different cuisines and at different price points in this city.

so get lobster newburg at delmonico's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City