Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

I don't know if Amazon or NYC is crazier. Why I eaeh say cost if living matters then pick NYC? Makes zero sense so when the vocal minority who can't add or think lovicaaky give Amazing a way out they took it. Neither appears to be a winner nor very bright neither needs the other not do the rest of us if either cries for a bailout when hard times bite. I remember the last time NYC asks for a bailout, first answer was no and will the next time too and it's closer than most of you think.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You don’t determine who a real New Yorker us. I vote in NYC via absentee ballot, and will continue to do so.

So happy I helped elect people who helped kill this crap which did nothing for the working class people of NYC.
Not only did polls showing working class wanted it, community organizations like the Queensbridge Houses tenants association and Bishop Mitchell Taylor, who speaks for a lot of local black working class NYers wanted it.

No-nothing lock step voters (you know who I mean) and local politicians who are only actually elected by the ultra-left motivated primary voters (20% or less of actual potential voters). Sure they burnished their reputations with those in upside-down world where a loss of 25,000 jobs and $27 billion tax revenue is a "victory." Politician's egos more important than jobs for Queensbridge residents.

Voters like you keep the man down, just like voters like you have been keeping the kids down in crummy schools for decades. Polish your halo for doing the righteous thing - after all you don't pay any consequences for it.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:20 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Do some of you think working class Latinos defenseless children or something? Like every last decision needs to be made with their direct benefit in mind.

Why should every last business deal be killed in this city just because not enough Latinos are qualified to work there?

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
New York City does NOT have to BUY businesss...it comes or it does not. That's life.

If everyone is afraid of NYC becoming Detroit, let's force Amazon to DETROIT.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
While I'm not happy that Amazon pulled out of the deal, I understand the concerns of those opposed. More and more of the middle class is being pushed out of the city and the mayor's response is "more housing lotteries!" which I think are of limited use to the middle class anyway. If he's made proposals to make home ownership more affordable for the middle class, I haven't heard of them. He also seems unconcerned with rising real estate taxes. Anyway, with the cost of real estate rising so fast already, Amazon's presence could only exacerbate the problem. To avoid this kind of public reaction in the future, maybe the mayor could start by addressing foreign buyers who use real estate as a way to park their money (at least tax them more).

I also wondered what percentage of the jobs created would go to people living here. I worked in a sector where H1-B visa holders made up a decent proportion of the workforce, and had assumed the same would apply at Amazon.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
While I'm not happy that Amazon pulled out of the deal, I understand the concerns of those opposed. More and more of the middle class is being pushed out of the city and the mayor's response is "more housing lotteries!" which I think are of limited use to the middle class anyway. If he's made proposals to make home ownership more affordable for the middle class, I haven't heard of them. He also seems unconcerned with rising real estate taxes. Anyway, with the cost of real estate rising so fast already, Amazon's presence could only exacerbate the problem. To avoid this kind of public reaction in the future, maybe the mayor could start by addressing foreign buyers who use real estate as a way to park their money (at least tax them more).

I also wondered what percentage of the jobs created would go to people living here. I worked in a sector where H1-B visa holders made up a decent proportion of the workforce, and had assumed the same would apply at Amazon.
That's DeBlasio's false progressive agenda. He preach that he's for the middle class but he constantly help push middle class people out of NYC. He offers middle class affordable homes through lottery, you have a better chance winning a sport bet. Of course there are lots of folks scamming or working cash jobs to get housing assistance but where's the help for middle class family making $50-75k? The rents keep going up, you'll need $40k/yr just to pay rents for a 2-3 bedroom apt and the aftertax income of many middle class families cannot afford to pay rents that are above $3k/month.

DeBlasio's strategy is that the 25k $150k jobs will subsidize building more affordable homes. Which will lead to more tax hikes and push people making just over $100k pack up and leave.

Like you said, a lot of people that Amazon will end up hiring are H-1B visa holders that are better with STEM careers than the avg American. H-1B immigrants are all over the tri-state areas. That's why it doesn't benefit most NYers except for Real estate sales. I know the guy that owns that plot of land in LIC that Amazon wanted is screwed of millions now.

So what, Bezos will lose 1/2 of his money to his divorce soon.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's DeBlasio's false progressive agenda. He preach that he's for the middle class but he constantly help push middle class people out of NYC. He offers middle class affordable homes through lottery, you have a better chance winning a sport bet. Of course there are lots of folks scamming or working cash jobs to get housing assistance but where's the help for middle class family making $50-75k? The rents keep going up, you'll need $40k/yr just to pay rents for a 2-3 bedroom apt and the aftertax income of many middle class families cannot afford to pay rents that are above $3k/month.

DeBlasio's strategy is that the 25k $150k jobs will subsidize building more affordable homes. Which will lead to more tax hikes and push people making just over $100k pack up and leave.

Like you said, a lot of people that Amazon will end up hiring are H-1B visa holders that are better with STEM careers than the avg American. H-1B immigrants are all over the tri-state areas. That's why it doesn't benefit most NYers except for Real estate sales. I know the guy that owns that plot of land in LIC that Amazon wanted is screwed of millions now.

Yes I agree.

Years ago, there were more lotteries for ownership, and now it's almost all rentals. Plus, a lot of "affordable" rents are pretty high if you're not low income. Home ownership has traditionally been one of the most reliable ways to achieve some generational wealth but even if people manage to win an affordable lottery, they can't take advantage of that.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

The biggest problem with NYC is that NYC does not create the necessary talent that can place locals in such jobs or positions. Most of these top positions are filled with transplants and h1b visa holders which I do understand. NYC does a great job attracting talent from across the country and the world. The reason why NYC can not create the talent for tomorrows future is due to the fact the education system here is not the best. Save for a few private, parochial, specialized public schools and some charters schools. Kids that will graduate from good and decent high schools will most likely end up in college and thus will be able obtain such jobs like at an Amazon HQ. Most locals who are black, brown and to a lesser extent ethnic white. Job prospects will be slim at best unless getting a 3.0 or higher at a CUNY and going on to grad school after.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

25k job center was not the best idea. Amazon should have just made an 5, person hub or regional hub center for NYC.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I don’t get how that’s obvious

You can even compare the stock prices. Amazon is on another level.

Google isn’t transforming a neighborhood in need. 7k is not 25k-40k.
Oh well time to move on. The decision has been made and they aren't coming here. Good-bye... Good riddance. Plenty of other jobs out there. In fact there are employers complaining that they can't fill some jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City