Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 PM

283 posts, read 233,934 times

Advertisements

it's been years since i've eaten at oliver garden but i remember it being quite good. you can't expect authentic italian but for what it is, it's great. it's also very obesity inducing... you can easily consume 3000 calories under twenty bucks including tax and tip (those delicious unlimited breadsticks and soup).

do you know how much 3000 calories would cost in a proper italian restaurant in manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
it's been years since i've eaten at oliver garden but i remember it being quite good. you can't expect authentic italian but for what it is, it's great. it's also very obesity inducing... you can easily consume 3000 calories under twenty bucks including tax and tip (those delicious unlimited breadsticks and soup).

do you know how much 3000 calories would cost in a proper italian restaurant in manhattan?
Why is it so high in calories? Is it filled with cream and cheese?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM

283 posts, read 233,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why is it so high in calories? Is it filled with cream and cheese?
breadsticks = very calorific. bread + oil. soup adds to that. and then many of the pasta entrees are easily like a 1000 calories or more. a lot of the olive garden loving diners also get soda on top of that

Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
The biggest Red Lobster I've ever seen is in Times Square. Can't imagine who actually goes there.
I had to walk through Times Square tonight. Saw that Red Lobster and thought of this thread and laughed.

You know, Foamposite keeps claiming that NYC always had chains, but the chains that were around back then are gone, like McCann's and The Blarney Stone. They were unique to New York City.

Damn, McCann's had good burgers.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Anyone who goes to a place like Red Lobster for "seafood" deserves to be ripped off.
I know. My friend wanted to go to one because she had a coupon. We live at the Jersey shore, for God's sake.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Still plenty of Mom and pops chinese joints anywhere. But I ponder why outside ethnicities have not copied chinese cuisine. The Chinese have opened malaysian, vietnamese, Thai, mexican, and japanese restaurants, especially japanese restaurants.
LOL, yes, my daughter was living in China and speaks Mandarin, and when she first came back, she got a job (this was in Albany, not NYC) as a hostess in a Japanese restaurant because she could talk to the Chinese owners and staff.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to walk through Times Square tonight. Saw that Red Lobster and thought of this thread and laughed.

You know, Foamposite keeps claiming that NYC always had chains, but the chains that were around back then are gone, like McCann's and The Blarney Stone. They were unique to New York City.

Damn, McCann's had good burgers.
You just reminded me of Tad's Steak House. Looked like a fast food but served a steak dinner anyone could afford. I loved the Blarney Stone's hot lunch counter, too. Also just barely old enough to have been to Horn & Hardart and Zum Zum.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
I know. My friend wanted to go to one because she had a coupon. We live at the Jersey shore, for God's sake.
LOL Insanity!!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LOL Insanity!!
Seriously. Moby's Lobster Deck. Highlands. Heaven.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:18 AM

179 posts, read 109,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There seems to be a perception among many older New Yorkers that NYC is becoming "Middle American" with many chain restaurants.

But I disagree with that notion. I follow new restaurant openings all the time, and it's clear to me that unique restaurants are largely favored. Of course there are many fast casual places that are chains (whether local chains like X'ian Famous Foods of national ones like Chipotle), however I do not think NYC is in danger of losing all its mom and pops. In fact, the food scene appears to be getting more and more diverse. A great time to be alive for foodies.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mom and pops are increasing in all sorts of places -- North Brooklyn independent places constantly sprouting up offering all types of food --- Flatbush ave corridor countless independent Caribbean places plus Mexican -- even just saw a couple of Indian places open near Flatbush and Foster --- SW Brooklyn Asian explosion including Uzbek.Plus Georgian and again Mexican.

Rockaway Beach even has a food scene emerging. Yes great time for good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City