Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times

Advertisements

Happens from time to time. Just don’t have any expectation with these people, and you won’t be disappointed. If you really can’t take it, then don’t go there, or maybe have someone go there to shop for you. There are services call shipt, where you have someone shop at wholefood for you and bring them to you, but of course, you have to pay a fee for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
I agree with you there, Pret has very friendly employees.

I can imagine about the the Whole Foods on 87th and Third. I work on Third and all the retail people over here are awful! I hate this location..Third Avenue is the worst.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought it could have something to do with the wage hike as well. Before the minimum wage was raised, say about 3 years ago, Whole Foods I think was paying $15/hour. Other terrible jobs were paying $9 to $12/hour. So the worst employees were in those $9 to $12/ hour jobs and Whole Foods got the better employees.

I don't know how much WF pays now, but I doubt it's much higher than $15. So good employees are no longer attracted to WF as much -- they can go elsewhere (maybe closer to home or some other benefit) and still make the same amount of money.

And regarding the fish counter -- pretty sure those employees are not the same caliber as the cashiers. I think they have special training or maybe make more money. Just a guess.
Yup, that's true.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
TJ's and Whole Foods employees have very different attitudes, night and day. The other chain in the city which has exceptionally good customer service at the checkout is Pret a Manger. Always a good experience. If they have an occasional dingdong up front who doesn't seem to get it, that person seems to end up pretty soon in the food prep. area where there non-personal skills are probably better employed.
There was a great story on the radio last weekend about how and why TJ's is the way it is (read: outstanding), I think based on a book about it. If I find it I will post it. It was pretty amazing.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So you're equating the minimum wage hike with the downward spiral in attitude, as in now that they're making $15 an hour they're less motivated to behave like decent human beings? I can't argue with your experiences above but I'm not sure you can tie it to the wage hike.

On the other hand, I had a Whole Foods guy behind the fish counter come to my defense recently when an obnoxious, over privileged guy ran me over with his cart and then blamed me for being in the way. Some humans just suck.
Actually it's the opposite. I posted about how since the wage hike took place, I have noticed BETTER customer service at Whole Foods and other places. That said, I have never understood the attitude. Whole Foods even before the minimum wage always paid their employees decent wages, and some of these people are just working there part-time. I mean they get a discount on the items in the store. You have great food there. In short it could be A LOT worse. I understand that it's a job where you interact with lots of people, but I find that if you treat people with respect, your day goes much nicer.

I have clients of all walks of life come into our office. Most of them are of means - lawyers, bankers, etc, but not all of them, and we treat all of them with respect. We greet them, thank them, etc. It should always come natural.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Actually it's the opposite. I posted about how since the wage hike too place, I have noticed BETTER customer service at Whole Foods and other places. That said, I have never understood the attitude. Whole Foods even before the minimum wage always paid their employees decent wages, and some of these people are just working there part-time. I mean they get a discount on the items in the store. You have great food there. In short it could be A LOT worse. I understand that it's a job where you interact with lots of people, but I find that if you treat people with respect, your day goes much nicer.

I have clients of all walks of life come into our office. Most of them are of means - lawyers, bankers, etc, but not all of them, and we treat all of them with respect. We greet them, thank them, etc. It should always come natural.
Oh my bad, I misunderstood you. Yes, I also think a raise in pay would result in a happier employee .

Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite. I posted about how since the wage hike took place, I have noticed BETTER customer service at Whole Foods and other places. That said, I have never understood the attitude. Whole Foods even before the minimum wage always paid their employees decent wages, and some of these people are just working there part-time. I mean they get a discount on the items in the store. You have great food there. In short it could be A LOT worse. I understand that it's a job where you interact with lots of people, but I find that if you treat people with respect, your day goes much nicer.

Whole Foods has always paid above minimum wage in NYC, ditto for Trader Joe's. How much above varied and now with the $15./minimum some will get a boost. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Whole-Foo...FNY%2FNew+York

TJ's, WF's, and some others unlike DAG and other old school NYC supermarkets aren't union; that is where rubber meets the road.

You also have to consider even at $15.hr all supermarkets, store 24s (RiteAid, CVS, Duane Reade, etc.) have problems finding help. Nearly all such places constantly have "help wanted" signs in windows and or otherwise looking for employees.

Primary obstacle is finding those who can pass a criminal background check. And no, the new laws about exempting such questions to after a job has been offered don't apply to most retail because of fact these people handle inventory and or cash.

Other issue at least for those who will work registers/handle money are finding those who have decent enough math skills to be "register trained".

Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Unless you have worked behind the counter of a retail supermarket (as I did during high school and Summers (to pay for collegel) you must hold your tongue. Some customers are worthy of not rudeness but the barrel of a gun, or a baseball bat.

Standing in one place for 8 hours is something worthy of the Hanoi Hilton.

Cut the help a bit of slack you Whole Foods bourgies.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Whole Foods has always paid above minimum wage in NYC, ditto for Trader Joe's. How much above varied and now with the $15./minimum some will get a boost. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Whole-Foo...FNY%2FNew+York

TJ's, WF's, and some others unlike DAG and other old school NYC supermarkets aren't union; that is where rubber meets the road.

You also have to consider even at $15.hr all supermarkets, store 24s (RiteAid, CVS, Duane Reade, etc.) have problems finding help. Nearly all such places constantly have "help wanted" signs in windows and or otherwise looking for employees.

Primary obstacle is finding those who can pass a criminal background check. And no, the new laws about exempting such questions to after a job has been offered don't apply to most retail because of fact these people handle inventory and or cash.

Other issue at least for those who will work registers/handle money are finding those who have decent enough math skills to be "register trained".
It's funny because there are some places like Blue Bottle Coffee that have AWESOME employees. I feel like royalty walking in there, and don't mind tipping either because the service is fantastic. Putting aside that tiny Grand Central location, the Bryant Park spot and the one that recently opened on the Upper West Side are fantastic!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
I shop at several Whole Foods in Manhattan, and it wasn't always like this. I've been shopping at Whole Foods since the first one opened in Union Square and also frequent the one at the Time Warner building and the one in Chelsea on 7th Avenue from time-to-time. There aren't too many that I haven't been to.
The one in Chelsea was the first Whole Foods in NYC. They were decent with customer service when they first opened and were the only Whole Foods. But by that I mean decent for NYC which equals poor in any other city.Then they grew and added Union square and Columbus circle and now many others ones and service isn't even decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City