Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
Thank you for visiting the towers. Sadly, most transient NYers that have moved here hardly acknowledge 9/11 - never mind pay their respects. You may want to also pop into any FDNY house while you are here just to say "thanks." They will be very receptive.

Most of my Latin haunts were out in Queens, so not safe for you to visit. However, Gonzalez y Gonzalez in Manhattan was pretty good a few years ago. Check it out.

Go ice skating at Wahlmans rink.

As for the pizza, try as many different places as you can. There is no clear cut winner. You'll love all of them.

Since you are a tourist, just keep your eyes open always for any men wearing hoodies. Even if they appear to be fine and safe. It's the new disguise for our common street thugs these days. It pays to profile.
Thank you for the advice. We are street smart so that helps. Bounced all around the Los Angeles area and visited plenty of rough places. Never had too many problems but then we are not looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post

Most of my Latin haunts were out in Queens, so not safe for you to visit. However, Gonzalez y Gonzalez in Manhattan was pretty good a few years ago. Check it out.

Since you are a tourist, just keep your eyes open always for any men wearing hoodies. Even if they appear to be fine and safe. It's the new disguise for our common street thugs these days. It pays to profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Thank you for the advice. We are street smart so that helps. Bounced all around the Los Angeles area and visited plenty of rough places. Never had too many problems but then we are not looking for trouble.
Hockey Fan is a racist. He's hyping things up.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Hockey Fan is a racist. He's hyping things up.
Sorry to hear that. My wife and I are a mixed race couple.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Cocacabana club is more our thing. Saturday they also celebrate birthdays for the month of March.
Have you been lately? It is NOT what it used to be

Old 02-28-2019, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 28,629 times
Pizza - visit Prince Street Pizza in Nolita; its one of the best pizza especially their square pepperoni slice!
Dance - as someone else mentioned, Gonzalez y Gonzalez in Soho.
Restaurant/Food - visit Clinton Street Baking Company in Lower East Side; known for their great fluffy pancakes for breakfast!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Have you been lately? It is NOT what it used to be
My wife, our son, and his girlfriend went in August and loved it. We were planning on going on Saturday (March 2nd) We stuffed too many things into our want to do list and figured we could go dancing anywhere.

It was a fun, although much too short trip.

On Friday we visited the World Trade Center and had an emotional time at the memorial. A close friends father lost his life that day on one of the airplanes.

After 47 years my wife saw snow for the first time. We can see snow from our home as we look into the mountains, when it snows. We could drive to it. Never have done that. We were waiting for a boat tour and she saw some snow on the ground. One of the memories I will always have are of her with the snow. We went to Central Park the next day and was amazed at all the snow.

I wanted to pay homage to John Lennon. We visited his memorial at Strawberry Fields. Took pictures and also pictures of the Dakota. Did not walk across the street to the Dakota.

The Pizza was amazing. Tried different places. Many we liked, some we did not like. Had some of the best Lasagna in Little Italy. Maybe there are better places that you would go. The place we went to was very nice. The food was amazing.

Juniors Bakery was the best. We used to have a Juniors in Santa Monica. From what I hear they originally came from Brooklyn. I am wondering if the Santa Monica location was connected to the Brooklyn and Manhattan locations.

We went to see the Blue Men and had a lot of fun. An amazing show. Not on Broadway but still fun to take in. It might not be for everyone but my wife an I loved it.

What I was amazed at was not hearing much of what I thought would be a New York Accent. I had these preconceived ideas that everyone would talk like people I have heard in the movies or on TV. Then again many of the people we ran into were immigrants. Not a bad thing as we felt home. Our area is also immigrant heavy.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
My wife, our son, and his girlfriend went in August and loved it. We were planning on going on Saturday (March 2nd) We stuffed too many things into our want to do list and figured we could go dancing anywhere.

It was a fun, although much too short trip.

On Friday we visited the World Trade Center and had an emotional time at the memorial. A close friends father lost his life that day on one of the airplanes.

After 47 years my wife saw snow for the first time. We can see snow from our home as we look into the mountains, when it snows. We could drive to it. Never have done that. We were waiting for a boat tour and she saw some snow on the ground. One of the memories I will always have are of her with the snow. We went to Central Park the next day and was amazed at all the snow.

I wanted to pay homage to John Lennon. We visited his memorial at Strawberry Fields. Took pictures and also pictures of the Dakota. Did not walk across the street to the Dakota.

The Pizza was amazing. Tried different places. Many we liked, some we did not like. Had some of the best Lasagna in Little Italy. Maybe there are better places that you would go. The place we went to was very nice. The food was amazing.

Juniors Bakery was the best. We used to have a Juniors in Santa Monica. From what I hear they originally came from Brooklyn. I am wondering if the Santa Monica location was connected to the Brooklyn and Manhattan locations.

We went to see the Blue Men and had a lot of fun. An amazing show. Not on Broadway but still fun to take in. It might not be for everyone but my wife an I loved it.

What I was amazed at was not hearing much of what I thought would be a New York Accent. I had these preconceived ideas that everyone would talk like people I have heard in the movies or on TV. Then again many of the people we ran into were immigrants. Not a bad thing as we felt home. Our area is also immigrant heavy.
Much of the traditionally-perceived New Yawk accent is gone. I do have an elderly neighbor here in NJ who came from the Bronx. Even though she's been in Jersey for fifty years, she still invites me ovah faw dinnah, tells me give her a hollah, and she makes a little bit of money part time doing ink-um tax.

Glad you had a good time.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
You will regret staying near Times Square. Friends from New Zealand did it and then concluded they hated New York City because of the crowds.
But if you feel you MUST, then choose the Marriott Marquis.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Much of the traditionally-perceived New Yawk accent is gone. I do have an elderly neighbor here in NJ who came from the Bronx. Even though she's been in Jersey for fifty years, she still invites me ovah faw dinnah, tells me give her a hollah, and she makes a little bit of money part time doing ink-um tax.

Glad you had a good time.
We loved it. The people were nice where ever we went. I had heard that people in New York were rude. We found nothing but kindness where ever we went. Great people all the way around.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You will regret staying near Times Square. Friends from New Zealand did it and then concluded they hated New York City because of the crowds.
But if you feel you MUST, then choose the Marriott Marquis.
It was interesting to stay in a small room that had a view of a fire escape. Our view was literally a small area with a fire escape. Four walls with a window. Then again we only wanted the room because we needed a bed to sleep in and having a bathroom was nice. LOL.

We were there to see a part of the city. The crowds were great. I expected to see a lot of people and the city did not disappoint. All hours of the day and night, lots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City