Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 06:59 AM

72 posts, read 50,415 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to see how fast I would be able to get an apartment with HC especially with the new 2.0 version as I am really ready to move and get a new place of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 07:09 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
I would browse this forum see how long it’s taking people to move in. A lot of different factors play a role but also if you go on HC and see there are a lot of buildings up & a lot end in a few weeks or even a few months. After they end the process of log numbers and contacting people happens. If you were on the old HC website you should be familiar with how it goes .

Old 10-21-2022, 07:09 AM

603 posts, read 599,505 times
Started applying in 2018/2019 - Got into the apartment end of 2020. I think the pandemic helped my situation. People were not trying to move around at that time. So, it can take years. Don't count on it for a quick resolution for your housing needs.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 24,776 times
Started applying January of this year, just moved into my place this month. Income plays a big role though, 125/130 AMI has better odds overall.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,479 times
I started in January 2022, got contacted in May, and moved in in July 2022.

I think a factor that often goes unappreciated here is how many lotteries you apply to - I applied to basically any lottery that I qualified for (except for ones in the Bronx). I entered just under 40 lotteries, and I had good enough log numbers to win in 3 of them. I get the feeling that a lot of people are much more specific about the area that they want to live in and apply to fewer lotteries, leading to years of frustration and hope.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:46 PM

28 posts, read 30,065 times
I just started applying a month ago and got contacted for docs this week with a 14xx log number. Not sure if I’ll ultimately “win” (depending on availability), but I was surprised to have gotten something so soon after hearing that people wait years. But being 130% AMI might have something to do with it? Not sure if other 130% AMI typically have this same experience. But out of 7 released logs, 1 was relatively lower and resulted in request for docs.

Can other 130% AMI vouch for this?

Old 10-21-2022, 06:45 PM

135 posts, read 198,190 times
I agree with others on the thread that higher AMIs have better odds. I started applying in July last year, and I signed lease and moved into an apartment this month. Secondly , the number of lotteries you apply to matter. Since I started this journey , I have applied to 61 lotteries- I liked some buildings, others were just because I qualified for them .
I got contacted for 13 , and followed through for one I liked. In my case ,I also happened to get very low logs after I signed lease for about 4 of the buildings at the same time which I withdrew from.

Generally from this forum 130AMI have better chances - there are possibly fewer people in that income bracket who apply and actually follow through on the process for varying reasons- which include how invasive the process is ; to timing/flexibility for accepting an apartment etc.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:06 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Wow 13! Higher AMI is really where it’s at. I’ve been applying for yearsssss. Only ever started getting contacted last year. In all contacted for about 5 between 2021- this year

Old 10-22-2022, 05:31 AM

123 posts, read 138,823 times
The lottery apartment I’m in now was a “re-rental” they called me within a month and I moved in the next month.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:53 AM

411 posts, read 228,372 times
Depends on your AMI primarily. The stock of big new buildings played a huge role for me. There are 7 high rises either going up or planned for my neighborhood in brooklyn. The more that contain affordable housing for your AMI, the better your chances.
And per VesperLynd above: "how invasive the process is ; to timing/flexibility for accepting an apartment etc."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: