Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Good idea and also maxx out CLEP's, AP's and CollegeNow classes.

But the thing is I already got acceptance to 4 yr's cuny and suny. I am taking AP if you are wondering. Also can anyone recommend me any pre-pa program?

Last edited by Kururin; 03-21-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
The pre"PA" classes are the same as the premed classes. They are weed out classes a large number of students who will probably end up dropping out of the program. You won't have a lot of time for a part time job because you'll have to take labs, as well as lectures, as well as a weekly tutorial concurrently. If you are trying to save money by living at home, then Stony Brook would be out. Hunter's science classes are very competitive. You don't know where you will go for the PA program so just focus on the undergrad situation for now. Meet with an advisor and make sure that you take the required courses for a PA program. As long as you have the required courses, you don't have to be a science major to get into med or PA school. Someone suggested taking only Tues-Thurs classes at SB. You can't do that with the science classes because you have to take the labs and tutorials, which generally meet on additional days.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Cururin,
Where do you live?

If you MUST live at home, choose the nearest school.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
Go to any community college in the CUNY system to get all the program prerequisites out of the way and then transfer to any 4 year CUNY college of your choice. I know a lot of people who did that.
Yes to this or you can try to go to SB for a year or so, transfer to a CUNY finish your degree and your diploma will still say SB on it, not sure how many credits you will need from SB to do this but try to find out.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
I did my undergrad at Stony Brook from 2009-2013. There is no college life. 80% of the people who go there live on Long Island and go to their parents house every day or every weekend. The only people who don't are the immigrant chinese kids who only talk to each other. The place is basically a ghost town on the weekends and the VILLAGE of Stony Brook is not very accessible by walking and has basically nothing in it. Stony Brook is a great school for learning but an extremely boring place to live. If your only reason for SBU is "college life" you will be severely disappinted. On the other hand if you want to do science research it's a great choice

Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I did my undergrad at Stony Brook from 2009-2013. There is no college life. 80% of the people who go there live on Long Island and go to their parents house every day or every weekend. The only people who don't are the immigrant chinese kids who only talk to each other. The place is basically a ghost town on the weekends and the VILLAGE of Stony Brook is not very accessible by walking and has basically nothing in it. Stony Brook is a great school for learning but an extremely boring place to live. If your only reason for SBU is "college life" you will be severely disappinted. On the other hand if you want to do science research it's a great choice
Not saying you're wrong at all, but in the five years you've left it might've improved somewhat since they've built a hotel (wow with a convenience store, bar, and restaurant in it!) on campus and a couple of dormitories with about half of the students living on campus.

Bonus to the cluster of immigrant Chinese kids: pretty decent cheap Chinese food near the station.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Kururin,'

Why are you ignoring my request asking "Where are you living now?"

Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Kururin,'

Why are you ignoring my request asking "Where are you living now?"

Oh sorry, I did not ignore you but yea I live in Queens, 40 min train to Hunter and 1hr to City College and 1hr 45 min to Stony by LIRR, 1hr by car (which I don't have)

Everyone else:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The pre"PA" classes are the same as the premed classes. They are weed out classes a large number of students who will probably end up dropping out of the program. You won't have a lot of time for a part time job because you'll have to take labs, as well as lectures, as well as a weekly tutorial concurrently. If you are trying to save money by living at home, then Stony Brook would be out. Hunter's science classes are very competitive. You don't know where you will go for the PA program so just focus on the undergrad situation for now. Meet with an advisor and make sure that you take the required courses for a PA program. As long as you have the required courses, you don't have to be a science major to get into med or PA school. Someone suggested taking only Tues-Thurs classes at SB. You can't do that with the science classes because you have to take the labs and tutorials, which generally meet on additional days.

I see, So you are saying that I shouldn't choose any science major like Bio or Chem at Hunter since it's really competitive and there's no point in stressing myself more. It's true I want to work also so I need that time for set aside for work which means living closeby. So would you recommend me to be at City? since I don't think they are much cutt-throat as Hunter is, or just stay at Hunter and take the pre-req class and major in let's say political science which really interest me and I find it easy. Also City's PA program is not accredited? According to this pic And Stony Brook won't be easy either since I would have to commute, and yea labs and tutorial could be outside beside Tues-Thurs.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:21 AM

Based on proximity, I would choose Hunter.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:25 AM

I choose Hunter. Thanks for all the great advice guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: