Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:36 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

That and or somehow kids are deprived or something if they grow up in the city, again as I did then am calling BS.

Last week around 4PM was walking up Second Avenue and passed San Mateo on 81st.
(great spot btw; sanmatteonyc | Pizzeria e Cucina)

From the street could see a few tables were occupied by middle school aged guys hanging out and seem to be having their after school snack. Stopped and watched for a bit as these young men handled themselves as if they were at their ease.

They requested, received menus, placed their orders, and otherwise behaved like any other adult would in a restaurant. When I passed by again about an hour later on way home all were happily yakking it up and enjoying their meal/drinks.

Passed a few more spots (Starbucks, Pinkberry, 16 Handles, etc...) and it was lather, rinse and repeat.

This confirms what I've always suspected; kids who grow up in the city are not only well adjusted but gain skills they might not otherwise.

Cannot tell you how many middle school or even maybe fifth graders I see navigating their way to and from school via the SAS either all by their lonesome or with a group of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Oh, when is this April Fool's Day going to be over?

Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
Who cares? Why is this even a thread?

Didn't we all grow up in NYC here anyway? Like... couldn't we all have told you this?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:03 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

Didn't we all grow up in NYC here anyway? Like... couldn't we all have told you this?
Weird thread. Dude scoping out middle school boys eating pizza..

Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,756 times
San Matteo isn’t a typical ‘hangout’ spot for regular teenagers though ... I mean, we’re talking casual but fine dining level cuisine here. The food is unquestionably good ( though not a huge fan for most of their Italian pizzas). When I lived on UES, I saw kids tend to get together at burgerFi , this terrible burger joint which is more like it

Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

It is a thread because on several occasions persons came to this forum seeking advice about moving to Manhattan with children, and some of you acted as if they had lost their GD minds.

Comments ranged from "no one raises kids in the city", to implying children raised in Manhattan were somehow harmed.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 AM

19 posts, read 12,569 times
I think kids that grow up in NYC are ahead of the curve in some regards..They grow up quick here.The problem is other than the polluted air being bad for developing brains is they may be stunted in some areas such as getting a driver's license and getting their own place any time soon.Good news is with the $15 minimum wage a kid in HS can make 30k a year.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Well, I was born and raised in Manhattan, so if it makes the people on this thread feel better, I turned out just fine!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:31 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
With kids it seems more doable out in the Outer Boroughs but in New York a family needs lots of money and it seems like the husband needs to be the bread winner and the mom needs to take care of the kids with strollers and everything. It's like the family needs to live comfortably on the UES with serious money otherwise NYC would be very uncomfortable in Manhattan.

Kids who grow up in NYC are semi maladapted to live anywhere else. Hoboken and parts of Jersey look way better for kids just to be within close reach of the big City. Long Island is alright for families too plus Westchester.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM

317 posts, read 312,049 times
It is, obviously, very possible to raise kids in Manhattan. But, why bother? Move to the burbs within 1/2 to 1 hour commuting time from midtown Manhattan and raise normal and happy kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: