Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:57 AM

111 posts, read 141,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
No it's not safe.
Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:14 AM

111 posts, read 141,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
2 blocks from Albany Houses is considered safe? Unless this area has changed a lot in recent years, I find that hard to believe.
A lot of regular people live in and around the projects so what are you saying? I wouldn’t necessarily go hang out there but I don’t think they make an area inherently dangerous. There are projects all over the city just mind your business and keep it moving.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
Somewhat safe, lots of shootings/stabbings recently but mainly in the eastern part of the neighborhood. As other posters have suggested, look near the Brooklyn College or grand army plaza area.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

215 posts, read 200,642 times
a lot of artistic types have settled there lately, plus it is composed of chasidic jews, caribbean and african immigrants, who are hard working and self-reliant, pursuing the american dream. i don't think you'll have any problem at all.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:11 AM

20 posts, read 13,320 times
no, not for a single female

Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM

21 posts, read 29,586 times
Single woman here *waves excitedly*

I've lived in Crown Heights for 6 years (up the block from Brower Park, Brooklyn Ave side) without being mugged/raped/attacked. I was followed home once back in 2015 and I narrowly avoided a bungled robbery (with straphangers) in January 2018 at the President St station but, other than those incidents, I've been fine.

Loitering during the warmer months and catcallers are part of living in an urban environment, unfortunately. NYC, like other big urban centers, has their share of degenerates so just carry pepper spray or a black cat self-defense keychain if you're feeling paranoid. I carry the self-defense keychain because pepper spray can fail you in windy weather. There are some sketchy blocks but you couldn't walk around Williamsburg or Park Slope with your head in the clouds either.

Racism will have people believe that Crown Heights is less safe but:
- A woman fought off her rapist (bloodied his nose) in Williamsburg on New Year's Day 2019
- Park Slope has a groper that comes in and out of the neighborhood a few years. They also have more home invasions because there are richer families there and loitering can deter BS from happening because what criminal wants to be witnessed?
- Women have narrowly avoided rape on the Park Slope side of Prospect Park
- Women have narrowly avoided rape in Prospect Heights off of Vanderbilt Ave

The scariest thing about Crown Heights is the skyrocketing rents so don't fret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: