Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What's the point of the original article? Sympathy for them? HA! Wallow in the nest you made. I couldn't care less.
If that is the point, they failed with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:20 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I had a job from 14-16. I earned more than $200 a month back then and I'm 30 now. Trust me, kids can find work. It builds character.
Yeah back then. I started working when i was 16 and up. I am 34 now.

It's a lot different now.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
" If she's already earning $2000 she can find a job with slightly higher pay."

Oh, sure, people can just definitely arbitrarily find a job that'll give them a more than ten percent raise with no countervailing drawbacks whenever they want.

You can't look at a family like this and say the problem is their selfishness. The non-disabled adult works in an exhausting job for peanuts and they live within their means as best they can, turning down rents they can't afford. You'd be happy to condemn them if they did otherwise, but even that's not good enough for you. You're just determined to hate poor people no matter what they do, to convince yourself you could never be one of them. Newsflash: you're a few strokes of bad luck from being one of them yourself. Almost all of us are. I will never understand the serf mentality on here, people eager to condemn the poor and kneel down in front of the rich.

(There's clearly more than one "Abbas Chouman" in the tri-state area, if you google.)
Wow. Where is all this coming from? I didn’t attack them just doubt their story.

But I do disagree with your comments as well: Anyone can find a better job that pays more if they 1. Look for it and 2. Take up a new skill.
I once applied for a new job within my own company and received a raise of about 15K. But I had to take up a new skill. A 200 dollar difference is nothing.

The man is obviously in that hole because that’s where he wants to be.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
There's two sides to everything, so let's look at things another way.

Yes, those three teens could find work (well two, the one already does have a part time job), but then what happens when they go away to college or otherwise move out. If the adults start depending on their kids to make up that $200 difference, what happens later when the kids are gone?

RS rents only go one way; up. Every year or other they will be paying more in rent. The husband is disabled, and while that never stopped many from working, it is illegal and could end up backfiring.

Know both singles and couples that an extra $200 each month for *anything* would be a scramble. Heck have several friends who are really are for all practical purposes straight up busted after paying rent. They've got a bit of cash until next money comes in with a good number relying on CC to cover things until then.

We don't know how much (if anything) the husband gets in disability payments. But the wife's salary of "about" $2k means there is only $800 left after deducting rent. Probably less because am going with gross not net; after payroll taxes that $2k per month is much less.

Maybe the LL/managing agent for that small building on West 29th is more lenient about late rent (they must be nice to have all five adults living in that small studio which surely is all kinds of illegal or something), as opposed to the management of The Max (building they turned down lottery apartment). The latter probably is like most large buildings, they run their stuff correct, and if rent is late there are consequences and repercussions.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
You are right about that. I was wondering that when watching. But the one son who wants to go to college mentions wanting to get a better job so they can all live in a better environment. From that, my guess is the parents will depend on the children (as many do, unfortunately, and they don't think about the hardship of bringing a child into the world).

Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,035,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I had a job from 14-16. I earned more than $200 a month back then and I'm 30 now. Trust me, kids can find work. It builds character.
I tried getting an afterschool job when I was 15-16, nobody would hire me because I was too young, the only place I could get a job was through the city's summer youth employment program. Only when I started college, and did not have the restrictions high schoolers had, was I able to get a part-time job. This was in the late 70s.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 AM

150 posts, read 252,981 times
$1200 and $1400 -- barely a difference.

$200 extra dollars for THREE EXTRA ROOMS??

i call bs on the story. that literally makes NO SENSE. I could see if the studio was less than $1000.
sorry to say but if you can't afford to stay in Manhattan EVEN THROUGH AFFORDABLE HOUSING, then get out!
also surprised their landlord hasn't tried to evict them for overcrowding or smthg..

Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I tried getting an afterschool job when I was 15-16, nobody would hire me because I was too young, the only place I could get a job was through the city's summer youth employment program. Only when I started college, and did not have the restrictions high schoolers had, was I able to get a part-time job. This was in the late 70s.
Oh man. Same here. I started with a Summer Youth Employment job at 16 and thanks to that i was able to get a retail job and then i went from there.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,035,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Oh man. Same here. I started with a Summer Youth Employment job at 16 and thanks to that i was able to get a retail job and then i went from there.
Yep, once I started college I was able to get a part-time salesclerk job at Alexander's Dept. store at Lexington and 59th St.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
How is it not normal to live in a studio if you have kids? I don't understand. My friend's home looks like. Her mom also has a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery