Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:17 PM

129 posts, read 78,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
It’s still happening because Harlem is only 20 minutes from midtown so even when I was living there a lot of white people are moving in they even got a juice bar on Lenox between 138 and 139 . But yea that’s about it no major changes . The most gentrified part of Harlem is West Harlem for obvious reasons, the proximity to city college and not far from Columbia university . There’s newer restaurant and bars that look like something you’d see downtown , but even the western part is still kinda old school hood and is majority Hispanic and black still . Idk if it slowing down or not , let’s not jinx it lol
A juice bar right in the Danger Zone. Who would have ever thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 02:45 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The one with the Capital One bank under it? Wow...
No, that’s another co op. The building that got the renovations is the corner one on the other side of 145th. The one that had (and still kind of has) a bunch of guys smoking pot out front all summer long under the big shady tree.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
notable comments from that article:

"As much as I’d like him to succeed, I’m not sure patrons ready to dish out $98 (+ $90 for the wine pairing) + tax + tip will schlep all the way to Harlem.
But this is an instance where I’d love to be proven wrong"

"Sure it’s lovely, and hope he succeeds as well, but if you are looking at this as accessible for most of the surrounding residents you are in a fantasy land, a bit fast to knock down stephw’s comments which are quite accurate.

The immediate neighborhood needs more accessible options rather than bodegas, Kennedy fried chicken, fast food, and the like. Walk across Adam Clayton Powell or walk a few blocks out of Strivers row and see whats there."
Meh, the expensive restaurants around here are always packed and Strivers row is full of multi million dollar houses. A few years ago a sushi spot opened up down the road that costs $300 per person and it won a Michelin Star. You have to book weeks in advance. Then there is the Grange Bar and Eatery. $35 plates, always packed on 141st and Amsterdam. ROKC ramen on 141 and Broadway with lines going out the door for expensive ramen and $20 cocktails. Oso was opened by Alex Trebek’s son on 139th and Amsterdam and sells $6 tacos and $15 margaritas. Packed. I can go on and on.

I ate a few weeks ago at Belle Harlem on 139th. Costs about $100 each and was delicious. It felt like I was eating at a friends house, but a friend who was a master chef.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:35 PM

325 posts, read 198,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushewick View Post
A juice bar right in the Danger Zone. Who would have ever thought?
Lol I know right I was surprised to see it ther other day when I was walking up Lenox , deli/bodegas make up 90 percents of Lenox strip , along with a some Kennedy’s . Jimbos too which is all over Harlem . I actually really liked that jimbos right there on 137 , food is really good . Pizza stop 🛑 on that same block is good . But yea the area is still a dangerous slum . With shootings happening all the time and a lot of drug addicts , Espeically On 140th

Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Lol I know right I was surprised to see it ther other day when I was walking up Lenox , deli/bodegas make up 90 percents of Lenox strip , along with a some Kennedy’s . Jimbos too which is all over Harlem . I actually really liked that jimbos right there on 137 , food is really good . Pizza stop �� on that same block is good . But yea the area is still a dangerous slum . With shootings happening all the time and a lot of drug addicts , Espeically On 140th
You guys are in the hood over on the deep east side. That’s like the east Village at Avenue D. Totally different world.

The fact is, like most of NYC, Harlem is blowing up if you are more than a block or two from a project.

Most people hating on Harlem are the white investors who missed the boat. Sorry my property is doubling in value every other year while downtown apartments are stagnant...

PS. I’m a white dude. I just took an early risk and it paid off.

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 06-27-2019 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 11:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
You guys are in the hood over on the deep east side. That’s like the east Village at Avenue D. Totally different world.

The fact is, like most of NYC, Harlem is blowing up if you are more than a block or two from a project.

Most people hating on Harlem are the white investors who missed the boat. Sorry my property is doubling in value every other year while downtown apartments are stagnant...

PS. I’m a white dude. I just took an early risk and it paid off.
Sorry but buying 10 years ago wan't an early risk, it already dramatically changed by then. You got on the boat but you got on about half way down the river.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 AM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
When I go to Harlem, it's still 98% black and latin faces. I just don't see that changing anytime soon even with juice bars and cafes. I think the people there will hold down the fort for at least a good few more decades.

I remember hipster cafes that opened up in hood Brooklyn neighborhoods in 2015 and locals were complaining about signs of gentrification. 2019 and everything is exactly the same in that area.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:49 AM

144 posts, read 324,396 times
>>I wish when I lived there I would have had all those local places to go instead of needing to leave the area to grab a drink, eat a meal or go shopping.

This is the biggest thing for me as well. Growing up in the Bronx, and going to school in Harlem, after 8pm the only thing opened were usually Chinese restaurants or run down pizza shops. If you were dressed up, you were a target. Spent most of my life committing out of my own hood to eat/drink/etc. These days I'm almost in disbelief of all of the restaurants open at night, let alone, those offering delivery.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
>>I wish when I lived there I would have had all those local places to go instead of needing to leave the area to grab a drink, eat a meal or go shopping.

This is the biggest thing for me as well. Growing up in the Bronx, and going to school in Harlem, after 8pm the only thing opened were usually Chinese restaurants or run down pizza shops. If you were dressed up, you were a target. Spent most of my life committing out of my own hood to eat/drink/etc. These days I'm almost in disbelief of all of the restaurants open at night, let alone, those offering delivery.
Yea, even when I moved uptown 15 years ago, there was nothing but junk to eat and babershops as far as the eye could see. OMG, blocks upon blocks of barbershops. Lol.

Now I prefer uptown to downtown. The one bad thing is the tourists are now flocking uptown. Harlem has become a destination, especially for euro trash. And with Hamilton on Broadway, everyone and their mother wants to come see Alexander Hamilton s house on 141. We get bus loads of them.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Yea, even when I moved uptown 15 years ago, there was nothing but junk to eat and babershops as far as the eye could see. OMG, blocks upon blocks of barbershops. Lol.

Now I prefer uptown to downtown. The one bad thing is the tourists are now flocking uptown. Harlem has become a destination, especially for euro trash. And with Hamilton on Broadway, everyone and their mother wants to come see Alexander Hamilton s house on 141. We get bus loads of them.
Lovely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City