Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 AM

18 posts, read 11,654 times

Advertisements

So I am looking to move on August 15th, exactly about a month out. So far I have seen many apartments online, a lot of which I like, but none that I am in love with. They all have something that's not perfect (small bedroom, not enough closet space, not enough counter space, too far from the subway, etc).

I have a decent sized budget for a place so I'm being extra picky now. I think being a month out still gives me a lot of options. But at what point should I stop being so picky and start compromising. 2 weeks out? 3 weeks out? Now?!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
If you haven't seen anything in real life, you may be in for a surprise. So I would say you should start to look at places in person and then temper your expectations.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I think once you get out there and actually see the apartments, you will know when the right one comes along.

And I agree with Henna that depending on your budget, you may not get everything you want.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:56 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
To answer your original question. Yesterday is when you should have started looking in person and i hope for your sake you meet the stringent landlord/management company criteria.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:39 PM

137 posts, read 138,326 times
new-ish to the rental market of NYC? You can start tightening your 'picky'-o-meter say 28-to-21 days out from expected move-in.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you haven't seen anything in real life, you may be in for a surprise. So I would say you should start to look at places in person and then temper your expectations.
I've seen two in real life and yeah thats where this started.

That being said, my budget is up to $4500 for a 1br so I think I should be able to find something

Old 07-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
To answer your original question. Yesterday is when you should have started looking in person and i hope for your sake you meet the stringent landlord/management company criteria.
Yesterday was the first day I started looking

I have a steady well respected job paying ~60-70x my desired rent at a well respected institution and a credit score of ~800 so I can't imagine having issues but yeah who knows.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopSays View Post
new-ish to the rental market of NYC? You can start tightening your 'picky'-o-meter say 28-to-21 days out from expected move-in.
Sweet I am currently 33 days out so I've got 5 days of being picky left.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falmouth View Post
Yesterday was the first day I started looking

I have a steady well respected job paying ~60-70x my desired rent at a well respected institution and a credit score of ~800 so I can't imagine having issues but yeah who knows.
Hmm. Given that, a little curious as to why you're asking for info on CD when a real estate agent would be much more helpful.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
If you can max $4500 for a 1bd, you should be fine. Just don't look in neighborhoods where what you want would be way too expensive. Also, depending on what and where you want (luxury 1bd vs prewar 1bd) I'd say determines how to go about finding a place.

For what its worth, I've gotten 1 apartment in SoHo, Manhattan (1000 sq ft 2bd $3700 in a prewar tenement) off of NakedApartments and my other apartment in Lower East Side, Manhattan (250 sq ft studio $1600 in a prewar tenement) off of craigslist. My other places have been non traditional (Avalon Fort Greene through word of mouth from friends, Othmer Dorms via NYU dorms, and current luxury studio in The Essex via apartment lottery).

Depending on your commute tolerance, you could also get what you want for less. There was a sick luxury 1bd in Bath Beach for $1600/mo, though I think that building is all leased up. I'm assuming you're looking in that luxury space if your budget is that high, so I'd say streeteasy is pretty good for searching those. I'm not a fan of real estate agents due to cost, but they can find you places based on your criteria (though not all of them!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City