Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 PM

700 posts, read 423,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussiaRussiaRussia View Post
I got here by birth in the early 70s, circa Astoria.

I live here right now because my parents are aging and need my help but will relocate once this part of my life passes.

I hate it. Partly because I'm an old school NY'er whose expiration date has expired. I loved growing up in NYC however. It was the best (80s 90s early 00s). After 9/11, when the towers went down, not only did the sklyline die, so did this city's soul. Authentic NY'ers moved out in droves (for various reasons). We were replaced by Chinese immigrants (mostly illegal), 3rd world aliens, white hipsters from the Midwest, and billionaires who use the city to hide their money from foreign governments.

If you're still young, sure, come to NYC and check it out, but it's nowhere to raise a family, especially looking forward 20 years from now.
Jesus! I’m happy you’re leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 11:45 PM

700 posts, read 423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
Wow it sounds like NYC's prime has really come and gone.... Wasn't expecting that. Where is everyone from NYC moving to?
Not really. Most old school New Yorkers have an obsession with the 70s, 80s and 90s NYC which was plagued with crime, drugs, murders, disinvestment, urban destruction and filth.

They claim that’s the prime NYC.

In reality it was a Hell Hope. This NYC is by far better.

More things to do, more opportunities and much more diverse.

It would do the city a big favor if all these old bitter people left. Many people would love to take their place.

But don’t worry tho when they do move they’ll continue the tradition of “complaining” in their new location like New Yorkers are known for doing lol.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 AM

101 posts, read 90,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Not really. Most old school New Yorkers have an obsession with the 70s, 80s and 90s NYC which was plagued with crime, drugs, murders, disinvestment, urban destruction and filth.

It would do the city a big favor if all these old bitter people left. Many people would love to take their place.

But don’t worry tho when they do move they’ll continue the tradition of “complaining” in their new location like New Yorkers are known for doing lol.
- It was indeed NYC's prime in terms of culture, night life, fun, and even opportunity in Manhattan. Granted, parts of the boroughs were war zones and no go zones for snowflakes like you.

- If by "this nyc" you mean a city of billionaires and then dirt ass poor 3rd world aliens, sure, ok.

- If you consider 40s to be old, you must be a teenager. Take my place? I was born here, toots. You're likely the transient.

- NY'ers certainly have a bad rep, some times. I've traveled all over the world and all over this country, and when people meet me and hear my NY accent, they fall in love with it...and me! Why? Because I'm a god damn fkn authentic hard core, born n raised NYer to I die.

Remember this hun, NY left us (the real natives) long ago. So we now have no choice but to go.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:28 AM

251 posts, read 148,690 times
I came here for grad school in '92. Never intended to stay more than a few good years. But, alas, New York has been good to me (job-wise, housing-wise, relationship-wise, etc.), therefore I'm dangerously in complacent mode and apparently too lazy to relocate to a warmer climate. I had a fun time in NYC throughout the '90s. Ready for Fla, AZ or Hawaii to be honest. I hate winters (but absolutely love NY in the summer)

Old 08-19-2019, 06:15 AM

425 posts, read 392,304 times
Born here raised here but for college and several years after I lived in either Boston or Los Angeles. However I have been back for awhile now. People idolize the city in the version that existed when they grew up in it, or that first attracted them here.

The city is always in a state of flux, moving, changing. Unfortunately it has the ability to change enough that it loses what some were drawn to or remember fondly. But the flip side of that is the changes attract new people and the city transforms once again.

Like most cities around the world, the globalization of culture with the internet has diluted local development of culture. This along with it being a global city that the wealthy want to park there money in in terms of property, has cities starting to feel uniform. This is not to say that NYC is not unique or has lost it's identity, just that it is not as strong or individualistic as in the past.

The only thing holding NYC back from exploding in growth at this point is the limitations of Mass transit. While it was wonderful for what NYC was, it is incapable of supporting what NYC could be.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM

123 posts, read 96,909 times
Born and raised in Brooklyn and moved to Manhattan in my late 20s after having gone to college here, working here, and established a lively social life here. I’ve been in Chelsea/Flatiron for years.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:18 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,777,165 times
Quote:

Nostalgia wears rose colored glasses.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,553,478 times
Quote:

Bull. I'm an "old school New Yorker" and the 70, 80 and 90s sucked! I still don't take the subway unless I absolutely have to because of some stuff that happened during that time period. I hate some of the Disneyland crap (ie Times Square and the monstrosity the Plaza has turned into, not to mention the NYU land grab (and I went there!)), but it's a FAR CRY from what it used to be in a good way. If you know where to look you can still find the NY I grew up in and it will always be there. There is absolutely no place like it and I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times
I came here when i was 6 from Dominican Republic. It is a great city in terms of opportunity if you have the intellect to chase it. I was able to establish a great career. I hope to move to NJ in 2020 and then when i turn 50 maybe down south to Florida.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,613,565 times
Born and raised here. Have a love/hate relationship with this city. There are things that people who move here don't understand when some of us say we preferred it before the city became gentrified and disneyfied. Yes, there was crime, but let's be real. A LOT of major cities had crime during that period, and we were not immune.

While yes the improvements are many, in the process a lot of neighborhoods lost their character because people and store owners were priced out. They were replaced with yet another coffee shop, or whatever the "in" business is at the moment. If all you're thinking is "yay, I get to live here because now it's safe!" then chances are you're one of the people who wouldn't have dared to live here when it wasn't, which means you don't deserve to really claim to live here. We lived here when it sucked, and wear it like a badge of honor.

This city doesn't need another coffee shop, another yoga studio, or some other frou frou shop that will just close 6 months from now. Move and accept a place for what it is, don't try to change it to suit your tastes. I've seen millenials move to a Spanish area and complain about the noise. Sorry buddy, you moved into their area, not the other way around. I have no sympathy.

As for us, D. Scott and I are looking to get out. We're tired of rents going up but salaries are barely moving. I can now demand more money, but there's so much competition in my line of work here, it's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City