Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My GF and I will be coming up for an event at Madison Sq. Garden this coming weekend. I was wondering if anyone has neighborhood recommendations in which we should try to book a hotel. Or, if you have specific hotel recommendations. While I know the city fairly well (my company is HQed here), I'm usually around midtown east like 40 - 45th and 2nd or 3rd. I'm much less familiar with some of the neighborhoods in Manhattan like SoHo, Chelsea, Greenwhich Village, Hells Kitchen, etc...

The event at MSG, will end early on Friday evening - like 8ish, so we don't need to stay near there or in Times Square area (which we would very much like to avoid). What we're looking for is cool ambiance, somewhat relaxed feel, but not dead, good places to eat and drink without over-the-top weekend chaos and clubs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 04:47 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
Budget? How are you leaving the city and at what time?

Old 09-30-2019, 05:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Budget? How are you leaving the city and at what time?
Would like to stay under 500/600 bucks for the room; diner and drink cost doesn't really matter. We'll be taking Amtrack from 30th st. station in Philly to Penn Station. I know enough of the city and transit to navigate the subway system pretty easily. Plan is to come direct into Penn Station around 4ish on Saturday. Event at MSG starts at 5, then leave from there to hotel and out. Spending most of the following day walking around the city, lunch, dinner, etc... and leaving back for Philly Sunday evening.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:37 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Brownsville, or East New York Brooklyn. East Harlem, Manhattan (Preferably 125/Lexington.) Well within your budget and plenty to see!

Old 10-01-2019, 05:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Brownsville, or East New York Brooklyn. East Harlem, Manhattan (Preferably 125/Lexington.) Well within your budget and plenty to see!
Wow, how original dude!

Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Would like to stay under 500/600 bucks for the room; diner and drink cost doesn't really matter. We'll be taking Amtrack from 30th st. station in Philly to Penn Station. I know enough of the city and transit to navigate the subway system pretty easily. Plan is to come direct into Penn Station around 4ish on Saturday. Event at MSG starts at 5, then leave from there to hotel and out. Spending most of the following day walking around the city, lunch, dinner, etc... and leaving back for Philly Sunday evening.
You've got a pretty good budget, and since you want to stay relatively close to to MSG, then West Village / Greenwich Village south of that area is probably ideal. The area's sort of like a Rittenhouse Square though perhaps busier. If you're thinking art galleries and such, then Chelsea is quieter but even closer to MSG so it's also a decent option. An off-kilter option is to look at places in Koreatown east of MSG which is very busy, but still fun. I wouldn't so much recommend Times Square area as a place to stay.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
The New Yorker is a large hotel close to MSG. It is probably in the realm of $350-400 for Sat night for two people. It is maybe more for business than romance, but it has great views at night (my relative stays there when in NYC for business). It is probably the most convenient hotel for your purposes, though probably not the most atmospheric (though the atmosphere is not bad - the hotel is historic but recently renovated, and the views of the surrounding old midtown skyline are as mentioned). You should ask your question on Trip Advisor rather than here, really - the NYC section on this forum is heavily frequented by people looking for subsidized housing, or looking to defend or dispute NYC welfare lifestyles, hence the "humorous"(?) reply above that is directing you to the most depressed and dangerous areas of NYC.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,368 times
Decent budget, you might prefer to look at "boutique" hotels downtown. Perhaps the Greenwich, Crosby Street, Bowery Hotel or the James. A few of these (the Greenwich in particular, Locanda Verde) also have good to great restaurants

Old 10-01-2019, 07:47 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,035 times
A bit confused of why even consider a hotel for hundreds of dollars, when airbnb offers nice homes for an average of 100-150 per night.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:48 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
trying to get them killed eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City