Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Costco is great, can't explain it.

Maybe it's the $1.50 jumbo hot dog that includes unlimited soda
I can see it making sense if you're a business or have a LARGE family, but if there's only one or two people to feed, buying in bulk like that is a waste. My girlfriend shops there on occasion and some products are decent like their pesto, but when she shops there, it's usually herself and other family members so they all buy a few items for themselves. We actually use their Kirkland pesto for lots of things... Sandwiches, pastas and the like, but buying 24 eggs or whatever size they come in is just insane, and some of the other fattening things. Either it goes bad or you'll be big as a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can see it making sense if you're a business or have a LARGE family, but if there's only one or two people to feed, buying in bulk like that is a waste. My girlfriend shops there on occasion and some products are decent like their pesto, but when she shops there, it's usually herself and other family members so they all buy a few items for themselves. We actually use their Kirkland pesto for lots of things... Sandwiches, pastas and the like, but buying 24 eggs or whatever size they come in is just insane, and some of the other fattening things. Either it goes bad or you'll be big as a house.
I joined again last year because I needed new all season tires. 4 Michelin tires, installed. $550. Well worth it. Glasses are supposed to be much cheaper, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

But yeah, since I no longer have to buy drinks and snacks for baseball/football/birthday parties, etc., it's not worth it.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I joined again last year because I needed new all season tires. 4 Michelin tires, installed. $550. Well worth it. Glasses are supposed to be much cheaper, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

But yeah, since I no longer have to buy drinks and snacks for baseball/football/birthday parties, etc., it's not worth it.
I was going to get one for myself, but I don't think it's worth it. By the time you get there, then deal with the insane crowds... Forget it... I buy organic, so I don't buy anything in bulk except for things I can freeze like frozen veggies to throw into dishes when I cook, and maybe Bounty and toilet paper when it's on sale at the store, but otherwise, I buy as needed. I really hate throwing out food esp. given what I pay for it, so I buy just enough and shop once or twice a week and make due.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:44 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
7/11 has cheap hotdogs lol

Old 10-30-2019, 01:48 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
I find their own brand OTC meds to be totally worth it. I got a three pack of generic Flonase for like 25 bucks, way cheaper than the CVS store brand. Same with their huge bottle of baby aspirin, generic benefiber, crap like that. If you are near one that sells gas, they are cheaper than other gas stations.

And I only go on Friday nights, never a weekend.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
7/11 has cheap hotdogs lol
I haven't eaten hot dogs in ages (not exactly the healthiest of things to eat), and when I do, I obviously want something of quality.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

Glasses and prescriptions are available to anyone, no costco membership required.

You don't need to consume a lot to buy in bulk, you just store away the stuff and use it over time

Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Glasses and prescriptions are available to anyone, no costco membership required.

You don't need to consume a lot to buy in bulk, you just store away the stuff and use it over time
I can't think of anything that I'd want to buy that much in bulk. As I said, it makes sense for a large family with lots of mouths to feed.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:32 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can't think of anything that I'd want to buy that much in bulk. As I said, it makes sense for a large family with lots of mouths to feed.
you can get 3 giant bottles of listerine once for $8.99 at costco and go through it over 6 months, or you can buy one medium bottle at Duane Reade for $5.99 having to go every 5 weeks

lifestyle choices, that's all

Old 10-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
you can get 3 giant bottles of listerine once for $8.99 at costco and go through it over 6 months, or you can buy one medium bottle at Duane Reade for $5.99 having to go every 5 weeks

lifestyle choices, that's all
Yeah that's something I would not stock up on, as it is less effective over time. I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes me to go through certain things, and I buy according to that to ensure I am using things that are fresh. My girlfriend has a habit of buying as if we're going to endure Hurricane Sandy and then throwing out half of what is bought because it's "old". I don't mind buying in bulk if it is actually used, but I find more times than not that too much is wasted. I rarely throw out anything as I buy enough at a time. The only thing I do buy in bulk is things like Bounty, Charmin, dry foods like pasta or things like frozen veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City