Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where is it coming from then?

And how often are you eating seafood that the restaurant caught itself? Are you in Alaska or Maine every weekend?

A lot of people go to City Island

Everything on here has to be a class thing, how well are you doing that you constantly have to one-up people?

A lot of people still go there, so don't knock it

Maybe you should do a City Island expose on the restaurant owners since you have no problem pointing it out on here....?
What does class have to do with it? Point is it is not local, and in some cases not even from the US, so you can really go anywhere for it. In other words, going all the way out to City Island... If you are going for the seafood thinking it is local, more times than not it isn't. Coming from as far away as China like a lot of the other seafood places these days.

Given the subject we're discussing, it makes sense to mention it. In other words, if you are traveling all the way to City Island for the seafood as if it is anything different from other places that could be closer, I wouldn't bother. Most of the food that comes in to NYC comes from one main place anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What does class have to do with it? Point is it is not local, and in some cases not even from the US, so you can really go anywhere for it. In other words, going all the way out to City Island... If you are going for the seafood thinking it is local, more times than not it isn't. Coming from as far away as China like a lot of the other seafood places these days.

Given the subject we're discussing, it makes sense to mention it. In other words, if you are traveling all the way to City Island for the seafood as if it is anything different from other places that could be closer, I wouldn't bother. Most of the food that comes in to NYC comes from one main place anyway.
Yeah, you're saying this like NYC has plenty of seafood places to choose from. Even Baltimore has more seafood places than NYC. And tell me what restaurant in City Island you went to and the fish did not come from where its advertised? So that other people are aware.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you're saying this like NYC has plenty of seafood places to choose from. And tell me what restaurant in City Island you went to and the fish did not come from where its advertised? So that other people are aware.
There are plenty of seafood places to choose from. My point stands, even though you're making this into a class thing when it isn't. Most of the seafood there is not local or even from the US. Some people are going there for the seafood experience that they could get anywhere in the City and not travel that far to do so. In other words, they could stay in their own neighborhood for a similar experience and not travel all the way to City Island. That's supposed to be the whole point of going there... To experience the "unique" seafood, regardless of class.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of seafood places to choose from. My point stands, even though you're making this into a class thing when it isn't. Most of the seafood there is not local or even from the US. Some people are going there for the seafood experience that they could get anywhere in the City and not travel that far to do so. In other words, they could stay in their own neighborhood for a similar experience and not travel all the way to City Island. That's supposed to be the whole point of going there... To experience the "unique" seafood, regardless of class.
Well case in point - what are some other similar seafood restaurant options in the Bronx that can compare to City Island?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
Are we saying that most seafood in City Island is from overseas, unlike eating in Rhode Island or Massachusetts seaside restaurants, where presumably it comes mostly from New England? Genuinely curious. I've only eaten in City Island two or three times.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Well case in point - what are some other similar seafood restaurant options in the Bronx that can compare to City Island?
Take your pick... Little Italy has some good eats, including seafood... I'd be willing to bet that the seafood from Little Italy likely comes from the same place that the seafood from City Island comes from. The Bronx Terminal Market... lol

Do you think that City Island is any better than seafood places in the Rockaways? In other words, seeing that you live in the Rockaways, would you stay local or go to City Island for seafood? I got the impression from the other posts here, that people traveled outside of their neighborhood for special or particular restaurants that they couldn't get elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Are we saying that most seafood in City Island is from overseas, unlike eating in Rhode Island or Massachusetts seaside restaurants, where presumably it comes mostly from New England? Genuinely curious. I've only eaten in City Island two or three times.
No. Never implied that either. Most is mass produced these days anyway, so if you are going out of the way for a unique experience, you may be in for a surprise. In other words, if I was by Coney Island or the Rockaways or City Island, I wouldn't be inclined to go out of the way for any of them if we're talking about the food and not the environment.

That said though, I would think that the smaller towns elsewhere could still have places where they catch the seafood locally.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Take your pick... Little Italy has some good eats, including seafood... I'd be willing to bet that the seafood from Little Italy likely comes from the same place that the seafood from City Island comes from. The Bronx Terminal Market... lol

Do you think that City Island is any better than seafood places in the Rockaways? In other words, seeing that you live in the Rockaways, would you stay local or go to City Island for seafood? I got the impression from the other posts here, that people traveled outside of their neighborhood for special or particular restaurants that they couldn't get elsewhere.
People go to City Island half for the experience. People actually like the fact that it looks like an old New England fishing village. At least when it comes to seafood very few neighborhoods come to mind. Red Hook and Sheepshead Bay are the only ones that come to mind. Me personally eating out is more of a lazy dont want to wash dishes type of thing, I'm only thankful nowadays that I even have the option to dine locally.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
People go to City Island half for the experience. People actually like the fact that it looks like an old New England fishing village. At least when it comes to seafood very few neighborhoods come to mind. Red Hook and Sheepshead Bay are the only ones that come to mind. Me personally eating out is more of a lazy dont want to wash dishes type of thing, I'm only thankful nowadays that I even have the option to dine locally.
That makes more sense...

Old 11-11-2019, 12:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
It was always about the whole package - do a trip, get some sun and fresh seafood. Although I agree, going out of my way there - I'd think of other things to do before picking CI. I've never had seafood there that was mind blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City