Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:28 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This impresses you Doc? A few smelly bums and a graffiti tag here or there?

deBlasio has to turn Times Square back into XXX central before I'm impressed

A few more murdered transplants, and we will almost be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 07:32 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
A few more murdered transplants, and we will almost be there.
Like 2-3 more? 10-11 more? How much you think?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2019, 07:42 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because sane people live and work all over the city, so no matter where you put a mental hospital it's close to where someone lives.

Roosevelt Island used to be full of mental hospitals. They were torn down and apartment buildings were built in their place, the last asylums there were torn down by Cornell University for their new campus.

The site where Columbia University used to be was an insane asylum as well. The University purchased it and tore it down obviously,

So the real estate pressures alone got rid of asylums in the city proper.

"Out of the city" meaning way out of the city - such as somewhere remotely upstate where nobody is interested in living and developing real estate. Eventually, it will have to be understood that people who threaten and disrupt lives of people around them (namely, the violently mentally ill and criminals) will need to be housed outside of cities/towns, and vagrancy laws will need to be more tightly upheld, to prevent such people from returning to places where they can hurt other people. Cities should be able to issue restraint orders against certain harmful individuals, to protect millions of people who live in such cities.

As I already said, you cannot keep protecting freedom of violent people to live wherever they want by way of denying the incomparably more numerous normal people the freedom to live wherever they want SAFELY.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:18 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
What deBlasio shelters are doing is intentionally destabilizing middle-class neighborhoods in all 5 boroughs, even in areas that voted for him like St. George, SI. The placement of section-8 and the homeless in otherwise stable apartment buildings is also designed to further destabilize middle-class areas by spreading the criminal class around the city.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Like 2-3 more? 10-11 more? How much you think?

Contrary to what you think, I derive no entertainment from watching Deblasio bring our city down the drain. Although I'm in the suburbs now, I will always be a Queens/brooklyn kid. I'm hoping you guys elect a sane mayor next time. Maybe a guy like Eric Adams- liberal, but ex-NYPD so he will have a more rational take on controlling crime which the mayor's #1 job.

Deblasio is truly the worse mayor in my memory. I use to think it was Dinkins, but Deblasio makes Dinkins look like a genius. At least Dinkins was physically in the city and made efforts to fix it when it was falling apart. Deblasio is actively destroying the city.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
What deBlasio shelters are doing is intentionally destabilizing middle-class neighborhoods in all 5 boroughs, even in areas that voted for him like St. George, SI. The placement of section-8 and the homeless in otherwise stable apartment buildings is also designed to further destabilize middle-class areas by spreading the criminal class around the city.
Middle class is a concept invented by the powers-that-be to ensure that Americans work in order to keep the tax money automatically coming every 2 weeks.

The world doesn't consist of patricians and plebeians only. Class systems are meant to keep people in line. Whatever makes you sleep good at night.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Contrary to what you think, I derive no entertainment from watching Deblasio bring our city down the drain. Although I'm in the suburbs now, I will always be a Queens/brooklyn kid. I'm hoping you guys elect a sane mayor next time. Maybe a guy like Eric Adams- liberal, but ex-NYPD so he will have a more rational take on controlling crime which the mayor's #1 job.

Deblasio is truly the worse mayor in my memory. I use to think it was Dinkins, but Deblasio makes Dinkins look like a genius.
Interesting take you have. So no responsbility to control crime falls on the police commissioner? IMO the mayor's job is just to make sure all the commissioners are doing theirs. Think of the city as a company with different departments. The mayor is the CEO. If management is not implementing strategies to keep the company in the black, then the CEO has a meeting with management to find out what's wrong and how to fix it. So if anything, say the mayor is not managing the agencies properly. Don't say the mayor can't figure out how to control crime, that's silly.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Q train is full of homeless again, especially after say 9PM. Stretched out or whatever... you can't get away from them.

Went to catch "R" at City Hall the other night around 7PM, some nasty homeless bum was inside station smoking up a storm. It would be one of the times when no NYPD was at station.

That is something else have noticed as well; more and more homeless smoking in subway; on platforms and in cars.
Because most of them are mentally disturbed. Smoking on the platform or on the subway is the LEAST of their worries. I was supposed to take the subway this week for a quick ride and was not looking forward to it. Luckily, my meeting was cancelled. Considered an Uber in advance but wasn't sure if I'd make it in time given the weather situation. Probably won't have to take it until sometime next year. The less the better...

Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting take you have. So no responsbility to control crime falls on the police commissioner? IMO the mayor's job is just to make sure all the commissioners are doing theirs. Think of the city as a company with different departments. The mayor is the CEO. If management is not implementing strategies to keep the company in the black, then the CEO has a meeting with management to find out what's wrong and how to fix it. So if anything, say the mayor is not managing the agencies properly. Don't say the mayor can't figure out how to control crime, that's silly.

NYPD knows how to control crime. Police commissioner is usually chosen by the mayor to serve his wishes. Deblasio is tying their hands. Do you think you could dump water on cops when Giuliani/Bloomberg were running the show?

Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
What people don't realize is that big city governments around the country need homeless people because they are just pawns to necessitate government services in order for them to sustain the tax system.

If NYC gets rid of the homeless folks in NYC, they can runs a lean business style administration, they would have to lay 75% of the workers and remove so many unnecessary depts.

Homeless people create all kinds of problems for people and businesses. 1st they create garbage, the DEP goes around issuing summons after the homeless folks left junk outside your property. Police has to be called to remove them if they are on premise illegally even in public businesses.

City health workers routinely provide them with healthcare to ensure they aren't spreading diseases.

This is why you don't see homeless much in small towns because they can't afford to up the tax rate of the towns just to shelter homeless folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City