Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 AM

8,953 posts, read 4,836,617 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...cord-low-6-000

New Year's Day in New York marks the end of cash bail for most misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.

“It’s about – for the first time – us handing the people back over to the community and them getting the services that they need out there," said Hazel Jennings, the city Department of Correction chief of department.

On Rikers Island, detainees whose alleged offenses are no longer bail-eligible have been released in batches since October in anticipation of the New Year, when a state bail reform law will go into effect.

“We have at this point approximately 50 to 60 people left to be discharged on January 1,” Jennings said.

The city tells NY1 exclusively that its jail population is at a record low of 6,000 detainees, down from 7,700 this time last year and 22,000 in 1991.

The city has been lining up resources for those released – from housing aid to mental health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,862,041 times
I would buy that Steel package box that I saw at Costcos. To keep my packages safe. There will be more traffic accidents and more domestic violence. A guy told me that one guy he knows that got out of jail recently put his girlfriend in the hospital.

There will be more murders and robberies. You don't let out criminals in mass without some kind of rehab or acclimation. This will be DeBlasio's departing gift for NYC, it's like letting out the Ghosts in Ghostbusters.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:50 PM

19,132 posts, read 14,155,905 times
If our politicians were honest people, the air raid sirens from The Purge would play instead of “New York, New York” when the ball drops.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-29-2019, 02:46 PM

914 posts, read 1,139,693 times
The following question is not meant as a joke, nor is it meant to offend anyone on this board, but do conservatives ever get tired of being wrong? I ask this genuinely, have you ever held a position, where after the data comes out, you realize you were wrong and change your opinion?

For example, I will admit that I was wrong about supporting the 25 mph speed limit. It hasn’t contributed much to pedestrian safety, and serves no other purpose than for tickets for the city.

From the day DeBlasio was elected, the right screamed NYC was going to regress to the violence of the 80s. There are countless threads on this board after any notable shooting incident about how violence is through the roof. How DeBlasio and liberals caused all of this, yet since DeBlasio, crime continues to trend down. Of course, every year there may be exceptions to this trend in a particular crime, but those exceptions are statistically insignificant in the overall downward trend of crime.

So once again, I ask, do you guys ever get tired of being wrong? Are you able to recognize that a lot of what you say is nonsense? People who are able to afford bail, ie rich and middle class, commit crime at roughly the same rate as poor people. They is someone guilty of domestic violence posting bond at this very moment, yet I don’t see the outrage over that. At the same time, many more innocent people are posting bond, and even more innocent people have to remain in jail because they can’t afford to post bond. It seems to me that conservatives are fine with a system that keeps innocent poor people in jail, so long as the wealthy are able to do as they please. Heaven forbid a innocent person of color is afforded the same right.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:15 PM

104 posts, read 104,500 times
Or what if they’re right - case in point, California:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...220-story.html

Old 12-29-2019, 04:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,862,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The following question is not meant as a joke, nor is it meant to offend anyone on this board, but do conservatives ever get tired of being wrong? I ask this genuinely, have you ever held a position, where after the data comes out, you realize you were wrong and change your opinion?

For example, I will admit that I was wrong about supporting the 25 mph speed limit. It hasn’t contributed much to pedestrian safety, and serves no other purpose than for tickets for the city.

From the day DeBlasio was elected, the right screamed NYC was going to regress to the violence of the 80s. There are countless threads on this board after any notable shooting incident about how violence is through the roof. How DeBlasio and liberals caused all of this, yet since DeBlasio, crime continues to trend down. Of course, every year there may be exceptions to this trend in a particular crime, but those exceptions are statistically insignificant in the overall downward trend of crime.

So once again, I ask, do you guys ever get tired of being wrong? Are you able to recognize that a lot of what you say is nonsense? People who are able to afford bail, ie rich and middle class, commit crime at roughly the same rate as poor people. They is someone guilty of domestic violence posting bond at this very moment, yet I don’t see the outrage over that. At the same time, many more innocent people are posting bond, and even more innocent people have to remain in jail because they can’t afford to post bond. It seems to me that conservatives are fine with a system that keeps innocent poor people in jail, so long as the wealthy are able to do as they please. Heaven forbid a innocent person of color is afforded the same right.
Crime stat is down because the police don't make arrest anymore. That makes perfect sense. It hasn't stop crime nor the threat of crime. This is one thing that will back fire on the Democrats by decriminalizing and opening the flood gate and allowing criminals to roam free.

You see the liberals got it this wrong because criminals are gonna be criminals. Our society today are not gonna give them jobs nor opportunity. Many criminals are used to making easy money on easy prey and NYC's got tons of easy prey these days.

You know where this policy was copied from? Chicago, look at that city now after a decade of liberal rule when Rahm Emanuel became mayor. City went from normal level crime now to the worst in the country. DeBlasio is a Rahm Emanuel copy cat. People in Chicago can only live in safe communities and never wander off. Eventually NYC will have the same situation where Manhattan largely safe during the day but outter boroughs become crime fested especially low income areas.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnorb View Post
Or what if they’re right - case in point, California:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...220-story.html
Maybe you should read the article before you post instead of falling for attention grabbing headlines. It states so in the article: “There is no simple explanation.”

Property crime in California started rising in 2014, California started reforming its prison system in 2011. Further reforms were passed in 2014 and 2016. These reforms don’t line up as to point to a direct causation in property crime. Different parts of the state show differences in property crime, further proving that this particular state wide reform is nothing more than a weak correlation.

Please read your sources before you use them.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:58 PM

19,132 posts, read 14,155,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post

Bail is not the extent of this “reform”, but it’s the only part leftists can defend using their typical race-based discussion points so it’s all you’re willing to talk about.

Explain to me why discovery laws had to be “reformed” to the point that the process from arrest to trial will be nearly impossible to process without millions more in funding and why perps should be entitled to the personal information of all victims and witnesses?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Crime stat is down because the police don't make arrest anymore. That makes perfect sense. It hasn't stop crime nor the threat of crime. This is one thing that will back fire on the Democrats by decriminalizing and opening the flood gate and allowing criminals to roam free.

You see the liberals got it this wrong because criminals are gonna be criminals. Our society today are not gonna give them jobs nor opportunity. Many criminals are used to making easy money on easy prey and NYC's got tons of easy prey these days.

You know where this policy was copied from? Chicago, look at that city now after a decade of liberal rule when Rahm Emanuel became mayor. City went from normal level crime now to the worst in the country. DeBlasio is a Rahm Emanuel copy cat. People in Chicago can only live in safe communities and never wander off. Eventually NYC will have the same situation where Manhattan largely safe during the day but outter boroughs become crime fested especially low income areas.
See, these are the type of arguments that make me question if it is worth it to engage right wing conservatives in a debate? Crime stats are down because police done make arrest anymore? Have you thought this statement through? Seriously? So if a woman walks in to a precinct to report a rape, it doesn’t count unless an officer makes an arrest. If my car is stolen and I file a police report, it doesn’t count unless an arrest is made? If a child is killed in a drive by shooting, it doesn’t count unless a arrest is made?

Do you not see that you’re spouting nonsense? Instead of parroting nonsense talking points you likely picked up from a conservative outlet, why don’t you take 10 seconds to analyze what you’re saying? It doesn’t take more than that to realize it’s nonsense.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Bail is not the extent of this “reform”, but it’s the only part leftists can defend using their typical race-based discussion points so it’s all you’re willing to talk about.

Explain to me why discovery laws had to be “reformed” to the point that the process from arrest to trial will be nearly impossible to process without millions more in funding and why perps should be entitled to the personal information of all victims and witnesses?
Nearly impossible according to whom? District Attorneys? The same people who have been caught purposely withholding information that could prove vital to the accused defense? These laws weren’t changed on a whim, it is only after years of shining a light on the gross misconduct of prosecutors that these laws are being changed. Other states already have many of these same laws and the system didn’t break. It only makes it fairer for those who can’t afford the best lawyers. Of course, I don’t expect someone who is unwilling to recognize that police brutality exists, to agree with making the justice system fairer for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: