Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 01:06 PM

102 posts, read 133,565 times

Advertisements

I am considering using the QM6 bus. How reliable are the departure schedules from Queens? What about Manhattan? I would get in at the stop after North Shore Towers (260th and Union Tpke). Other than rush hour a.m., are there seats available? What about return trips (say before 4 pm or after 7 pm weekdays), are there seats available? How reliable is the service on the weekends?

Also are the stops in Manhattan at sheltered bus stops (where you're not standing in the rain or snow)?

I am considering using this bus instead of the LIRR and subways.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 07:24 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
I take the QM6 sometimes from Glen Oaks at the same stop to go into Manhattan. Never a problem getting a seat. You also have the option of taking the QM5 if there is a problem with the QM6. It is across the street from the QM6. It just goes up by Douglaston and Little Neck before coming through Fresh Meadows and then comes back onto Union Turnpike to join the QM6 again. Most riders alternate with the QM5, especially when service is only hourly, which is what I do.

The LIRR from Little Neck or Douglaston is a good option as well. Only thing that may not work for you is if you need some place other than Penn Station. The QM6 serves more of Midtown.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM

102 posts, read 133,565 times
Default QM6 Returning from Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I take the QM6 sometimes from Glen Oaks at the same stop to go into Manhattan. Never a problem getting a seat. You also have the option of taking the QM5 if there is a problem with the QM6. It is across the street from the QM6. It just goes up by Douglaston and Little Neck before coming through Fresh Meadows and then comes back onto Union Turnpike to join the QM6 again. Most riders alternate with the QM5, especially when service is only hourly, which is what I do.

The LIRR from Little Neck or Douglaston is a good option as well. Only thing that may not work for you is if you need some place other than Penn Station. The QM6 serves more of Midtown.
Does the bus stop at the same place it lets you off? Can you get a seat on the return trip?

Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
Does the bus stop at the same place it lets you off? Can you get a seat on the return trip?
Yes. If you take the QM5 to the last stop (260th and Union Turnpike), it lets you off where you get on the QM6 at to go to Manhattan. Going to Glen Oaks, the QM6 stop is just past the light at 260th and Union Turnpike. I have never had a problem getting a seat. The QM6 is usually not as crowded as the QM5. I only mention the QM5 because it runs more frequently than the QM6 during the week at times, so if for some reason you can't get the QM6, the QM5 starts right across the street in front of that dentist's office.

I forgot... You asked about sheltered stops. There are only about two of them along 6th Avenue. The rest are all unsheltered. The QM5 and QM6 stops are together for the most part in Manhattan, so you can take whichever comes first.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:06 AM

572 posts, read 325,288 times
No there is no problem getting QM56 . Getting seats for me was never a problem to Manhattan. I commute through it when i am in no mood of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City