Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 PM

8,952 posts, read 4,834,112 times

Advertisements

Oh, blech! I did not need to see a close up pic of an actual bed bug. Blech.
Anyway, this is a concern. Not to mention...gross! Glad this isn't my line but bedbugs travel, no?

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/28/ano...his-month-mta/

Another bedbug sighting in Forest Hills results in third subway tower fumigation this month: MTA

Bug woes persist in the subways of Forest Hills.

Five days after a bedbug scare disrupted service in the the Forest Hills-71st Ave. station, a new sighting ended up in another round of fumigation.

The MTA said an employee discovered another bedbug on Monday inside the subway tower that controls the turnaround for M and R trains, as the Daily News first reported.

The MTA reported that the bug was secured and deceased, and this time the critter’s appearance didn’t affect train service. The tower was fumigated for a third time this month early Tuesday morning.

This is the third instance of a bedbug sighting in the station’s tower — a part of the station that is not open to the public. The first sighting was on Jan. 8, when the MTA received a report of a bedbug seen on one of the tower’s chairs.

In that first instance, nobody secured the bug. When the manager arrived, the bug was nowhere to be found. A bedbug-sniffing dog was brought in and reacted positively to that chair, so a fumigation treatment was ordered, according to the MTA.

The nuisance returned during the fateful rush hour stretch of Jan. 22, which stopped crews from being able to direct traffic while the tower was being fumigated. The lapse reportedly caused 236 trains to be delayed and 117 to be canceled.

Transit workers at the facility told the Daily News that they had complained for weeks about bedbugs, but claimed they were brushed off by leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 07:21 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,265,192 times
A worker is bringing them from home.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 PM

32,183 posts, read 27,419,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
A worker is bringing them from home.
Bedbugs, like ticks, fleas, roaches, etc... can be very difficult to eradicate from a place even with fumigation. Sometimes only thing that works is tenting entire structure and then heavily fumigating. Otherwise bugs just hide out deep in cracks, crevices, machines, etc... and wait for fumes to die down/go away.

This is why it is very important to nip such things in the bud before it gets out of control.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 AM

16,309 posts, read 7,030,457 times
Opinion:
I can not believe how people have just become more filthy as time goes by.
Talking to a young adult the other day and I could smell the musty wreaking
off his clothes.Good grief pal. Where's the self respect. Visit the laundromat.
Take the time out to clean house,wash your clothes and wash yourself down.
Stop blaming the homeless for the infestation.They were around in my day too
and their bed bug contribution was minimal.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Bed bugs aren't about filth; some of the most exclusive luxury hotels in city and elsewhere have had issues.
Ditto many expensive homes of well off to wealthy have suffered as well.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 AM

25,447 posts, read 37,313,354 times
As long as you have blood and emit carbon dioxide, you can attract bedbugs.
Filth has nothing to do with the critters.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,250,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Here's the deal with bedbugs: they are impossible to eradicate without DDT (which is banned). Any exterminator promising to do anything more than control them is selling you a bill of goods.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 AM

25,447 posts, read 37,313,354 times
I think that DDT should be reallowed for home use. Not in forests, not on farms, but only with a bedbug infestation indoors where bald eagles can't get at it.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:39 PM

8,952 posts, read 4,834,112 times
Who knew bed bugs were so sturdy? For such small, little things. Blech. They're worse than cockroaches. At least, they don't bite. I think they're easier to get rid of too. You just smoke bomb them.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think that DDT should be reallowed for home use. Not in forests, not on farms, but only with a bedbug infestation indoors where bald eagles can't get at it.

DDT is largely ineffective against bed bugs along with lice and many other insects it once dealt with easily. Bugs have developed immunity so that is that.

DDT for bed bugs? | Pesticide Action Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City