Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 AM

531 posts, read 713,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Verizon charges $60 as opposed to the $65 customers currently paying with Spectrum which sounds great but customers realize Verizon gives more than twice the speed at a lower price than Spectrum the gears in the head start turning.

I wont even touch on the Spectrum/Altice modem fee as opposed to the Verizon no fee ONT.

I tried signing up for Verizon and it requires you sign up for some home phone service also?! Is that a must?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
Quote:
Verizon charges $60 as opposed to the $65 customers currently paying with Spectrum which sounds great but customers realize Verizon gives more than twice the speed at a lower price than Spectrum the gears in the head start turning.

I wont even touch on the Spectrum/Altice modem fee as opposed to the Verizon no fee ONT.
I got 300/300 Mbps FIOS for $39.99 in December with free installation (standalone no phone or TV), and they even kicked in free Disney+ and a $100 gift card

Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 AM

1,486 posts, read 991,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I tried signing up for Verizon and it requires you sign up for some home phone service also?! Is that a must?
No, there are internet only packages. Also if you work in a corporate office check to see if they offer and price discounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I got 300/300 Mbps FIOS for $39.99 in December with free installation (standalone no phone or TV), and they even kicked in free Disney+ and a $100 gift card
When i signed up it was $80 for 1gig up/down and free netflix for a year.

But when i look at the bill its:

$135 - $45 discount
$45 discount has no expiration
$10 discount (Auto pay and paper free)

Then comes the $2.49 fees and surcharges

I do want to downgrade my speed to the 300/300 but when i look at the packages online it looks like i will end up paying more than what i pay now for 1/3rd the speed....

Old 02-25-2020, 09:15 AM

531 posts, read 713,970 times
Quote:
No, there are internet only packages. Also if you work in a corporate office check to see if they offer and price discounts

Do I have to call to get the internet only package? I just tried from Verizon website and it is forcing me to pick a $60/month phone plan alongwith the Internet plan.

https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/.../buildhsi.aspx

Last edited by koctail; 02-25-2020 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I do want to downgrade my speed to the 300/300 but when i look at the packages online it looks like i will end up paying more than what i pay now for 1/3rd the speed....
Well I got my deal around black Friday, and the pricing is for 12 months. When the year is up I am bolting for whatever is cheapest between Spectrum and RCN unless they can extend my price.

But one thing that people completely fail to understand is the speed they need. You'll get the same schtick from companies that you need maximum bandwidth for every device, streaming, downloads, browsing etc etc etc but consider this:

Netflix HD Streaming Bandwidth: 5 Mbps !!
Netflix 4K Streaming Bandwidth: 25 Mbps

at 300/300 you are never even touching that limit. What's more, most home wifi routers are crappy and you can only even see about 50 Mbps if you're lucky.

And I'm sure you've enjoyed watching good quality video on your cell phone from T-Mobile, AT&T, etc... That bandwidth is typically much less than 5/5

Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Do I have to call to get the internet only package? I just tried from Verizon website and it is forcing me to pick a $60/month phone call alongwith the Internet plan.

https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/.../buildhsi.aspx
It must be based on your address if there is competition. I just checked and the same deal I got is available for internet only except it's a $50 visa card instead of $100. I'm guessing if you have no other options they will squeeze you

Old 02-26-2020, 11:51 AM

128 posts, read 115,490 times
If you have FIOs and wanna downgrade there is a glitch where you can cancel over the phone and order new service online with same name and address just make sure you cancel on lets a Monday and order service to be turned on on a Tuesday. I went from $129 a month to $43 only internet now with free home phone minus 911 and bootleg streaming channels $10 a month 5 connections includes every channel PPV sports packages everything.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,242,113 times
No Verizon in my building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City